IN THE WAKE OF
ABOARD THE M.V. TERE MOANA
October 11 to 19, 2013
Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, Sicily and Malta
Join us for this spectacular nine-day journey featuring a seven-night cruise on the Mediterranean and Tyrrhenian seas to the resplendent shores of southern Italy, Sicily and Malta highlighted by visits to five UNESCO World Heritage sites. Sail aboard the exclusively chartered, deluxe Small Ship, M.V. TERE MOANA, featuring only 45 Staterooms. Experience the perfectly preserved city of Pompeii, the sparkling Amalfi Coast and the highlights of Sicily and Malta. Uncover remarkable relics of ancient empires—the island of Capri, the storied town of Taormina, the world’s best-preserved ancient Greek theater in historic Siracusa and the majestic Doric temples of Agrigento. Enjoy lectures by exclusive onboard Study Leaders throughout the itinerary. An exclusive Rome, “The Imperial City,” Pre-Cruise Option and a Valletta, ancient city, Post-Cruise Option are offered. This is a Great Travel Value! Space is limited.
Back to the top »
(please click on location to reveal details)
Back to the top »
Depart your gateway city.
Day 2 Valletta, Malta/ Embark M.V. Tere Mona
Upon arrival, transfer to the M.S,. Moana.
Day 3 Vallenta, Malta
City tour of Valleta, Malta, a UNESCO World Heritage site, featuring a visit to St. John’s Co-Cathedral to see the magnificently decorated tombs of the legendary Knights of St. John and original paintings by Caravaggio.
Day 4 Licata (for Agrigento)
Excursion to the UNESCO World Heritage site of Agrigento and its majestic Valle dei Templi (Valley of the Temples), known for its exceptionally well –preserved Doric temples.
Day 5 Siracusa
Excursion to Siracusa. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, to visit one of the best preserved ancient Greek theaters in the world and the Archaeological Museum
Day 6 Naxos for Taormina, Sicily
Walking tour of the ancient town of Taormina, featuring the Greek Theater built in the third century B.C.
Day 7 Amalfi, Italy/Capri
The stunning Amalfi Coast, a UNESCO World Heritage site, features spectacular natural views along this winding cornice of Italy’s Mediterranean coastline and epitomizes the allure of the Italian seaside. Admire the dramatic cliffs, secluded villages, opulent villas and sun-dappled beaches. Enjoy time on your own in the lovely village of Positano, an exclusive and elegant retreat that was frequently visited by artists such as Picasso, Toscanini and Bernstein, popularized by John Steinbeck and now a favorite resort of international luminaries.
Capri, Italy Amid the isle of Capri’s dramatic scenery, lush vegetation and subtropical climate, the Roman Emperors Augustus and Tiberius maintained elegant retreats. By small boat, visit Capri’s most famous attraction, the legendary Grotta Azzura (Blue Grotto), a sea cave whose interior is adorned with classic statues and the tranquil blue-hued waters that gave the grotto its name.
Day 8 Sorrento (for Pompeii)/ Island of Capri
Excursion to Pompeii, a UNESCO World Heritage site of exceptional natural beauty
Day 9 Civitavecchia/Disembark m.v. Tere Mona/Rome
Return to the U.S. or Canada
Cost & Program Inclusions:
From: $4,995 per person, Double occupancy
- Join us for this spectacular nine-day journey featuring a seven-night cruise to the southern shores of Italy, the resplendent coast of Sicily and the fortified city of Valletta, Malta.
- Cruise aboard the exclusively chartered, deluxe M.V. TERE MOANA, formerly the M.S. LE LEVANT, which will relaunch in 2013 under new Ownership following a complete refurbishment.
- Experience some of the most stunning scenery during tours of the Amalfi Coast, Capri, Pompeii, Taormina, Agrigento and Valletta.
- Cruise in casual style and comfort through the ancient sea lanes of the Mediterranean and Tyrrhenian seas and the Strait of Messina.
- See five UNESCO World Heritage sites, including Italy’s beautiful Amalfi Coast and remarkably preserved Pompeii, and Sicily’s Greco-Roman Siracusa and Agrigento.
- Discover Malta’s historic Megalithic and Phoenician monuments.
- Enjoy exclusive onboard lectures by Study Leaders.
- Enjoy complimentary house wine with dinner.
- Marvel at the architectural genius of the Roman Empire during a Rome Pre-Cruise Option and visit the sparkling shores of Malta in the ancient city of Valletta on the Post-Cruse Option.
- Reserve now for this exceptional value—space is extremely limited!
M.V. TERE MOANA
The deluxe M.V. TERE MOANA, formerly the Five-Star M.S. LE LEVANT, enters service in 2013 under new ownership following a four-million-dollar refurbishment. This intimate, deluxe 90-passenger vessel fits the profile of Small Ship cruising perfectly and can cruise into the small ports and inlets inaccessible to larger ships.
Each of the 45 Staterooms features a large picture window, private marble- and teak-appointed bathroom with shower, one queen or two twin beds, individual climate control, satellite television, radio, minibar, safe, hair dryer and bathrobes.
The ship’s inviting dining room accommodates all guests at a single, unassigned seating. Tasteful continental cuisine is served by an attentive staff. Early-risers’s coffee, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and dinner are served daily. Complimentary select wines, spirits and nonalcoholic beverages are served throughout the cruise.
The inviting and spacious public areas are tastefully appointed and include a large lounge, two bars, a comfortable library, outdoor swimming pool and outdoor Promenade deck ideal for walks.
The M.V. TERE MOANA’s English-speaking crew provides courteous, professional service and sails with an onboard physician. The ship is fitted with an elevator.
On board the Five-Star Small Ship M.V. TERE MOANA
- Seven-night cruise from Civitavecchia, Italy, to Valletta, Malta, with port calls at Sorrento (for Pompeii), the Island of Capri and Amalfi; and Taormina, Siracusa and Licata (for Agrigento) on Sicily.
- Spacious and elegant outside Staterooms with private bathroom and individual climate control.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- All meals on board served at single, unassigned seatings—early-riser’s coffee, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and dinner.
- Complimentary select wines, spirits and nonalcoholic beverages served throughout the cruise.
- Excursion to Pompeii, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and guided tour of the exceptional archaeological preservation.
- Drive along the Amalfi Coast, designated a UNESCO World Heritage site of exceptional natural beauty.
- Evening cruise past the volcanic island of Stromboli, the lighthouse of the Mediterranean.
- Walking tour of the ancient town of Taormina, featuring the Greek Theater built in the third century B.C.
- Excursion to Siracusa, a UNESCO World Heritage site, to visit one of the best-preserved ancient reek theaters in the world and the Archaeological Museum.
- Excursion to the UNESCO World Heritage site of Agrigento and its majestic Valle dei Templi (Valley of the Temples), known for its exceptionally well-preserved Doric temples.
- Walking tour of Valletta, Malta, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Excursion on Malta to the Neolithic temples of Hagar Qim and Tarxien, the oldest free-stnading stone edifices in the world, and to Vittoriosa’s Palace of the Inquisitor.
ENHANCED TRAVEL SERVICES
- All transfers and luggage handling abroad for all participants who have purchased their international air tickets through Gohagan & Company and whose arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- All excursions and visits, as outlined in the Included Features, with experienced local guides and expedition team.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Travel Director to accompany you throughout the travel program.
- Hospitality desk aboard ship.
- Travel document wallet, name badge and pre-departure information.
ROME PRE-CRUISE OPTION
The “Eternal City” of Rome, a UNESCO World Heritage site and capital of the ancient Roman Empire, showcasing the magnificent landmarks from its centuries as a center of power, culture and religion, is the ideal prelude to your cruise. See the city’s ancient monuments including the Colosseum, the Roman Forum and the Pantheon. Enjoy a tour of St. Peter’s Basilica, the Vatican Museums and The Sistine Chapel. The Option is available at additional cost, and details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.
VALLETTA POST-CRUISE OPTION
Explore the magnificent fortress city of Valletta, Malta’s capital, a UNESCO World Heritage site and an open-air museum containing buildings from the 16th century onwards, displaying splendid examples of Baroque, Neo-Classical and Modern architecture. Throughout the years, Valletta has welcomed emperors, heads of state, artists and poets and is now the permanent seat of the Maltese government. This island influenced by so many ancient cultures, from the Phoenicians and Carthaginians to the Romans, French and British, is a fitting conclusion to your exploration of the Ancient Empires. The Option is available at additional cost, and details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.
Back to the top »
Faculty Study Leader
Camilla MacKay '91, Ph.D. in Classical Art and Archaeology
Camilla MacKay '91 is the head of Carpenter Library at Bryn Mawr College and a senior editor of Bryn Mawr Classical Review. She received her Ph.D. in Classical Art and Archaeology from the University of Michigan, and before coming to Bryn Mawr, worked at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens. She specializes in medieval archaeology in Greece, and is undertaking the study and publication of medieval pottery and small finds from excavations and archaeological surveys in Greece and Ukraine. Her research interests also include issues in scholarly communication and open access.
Back to the top »