April 12 - 20, 2013
Belgium & Holland
Experience the beauty, history and culture along the waterways of Holland and Belgium. Board the MS Amadeus Diamond and journey into the heart of Europe's most colorful and fascinating regions. Enjoy Amsterdam, a beguiling city of canals and contrasts. Visit The Hague and feel the reverberations of political history. Delight in the beautiful vistas of the Delft. Explore the renowned Zeeland coast. Admire the architecture and art of Bruges, and the unrivaled charm of Antwerp. Watch thousands of tulips and daffodils nod in the breeze as you float down scenic waterways.
Back to the top »
(please click on location to reveal details)
Back to the top »
DAY 1 ~ April 12 In Transit
Depart your gateway city for Amsterdam aboard scheduled jet service. *
DAY 2 ~ April 13 AMSTERDAM
Upon arrival, transfer* to the MS Amadeus Diamond. Educational Focus: Contemporary Holland. Excursion: Canal Cruise. Enjoy an evening cruise through Amsterdam's picturesque canals.
DAY 3 ~ April 14 KEUKENHOF GARDENS/ AMSTERDAM
Excursion: Keukenhof Gardens.
Journey through Dutch flower fields to the renowned Keukenhof Gardens, a 70-acre paradise of tulips and other flowers. See Europe's largest fountain and amazing 700-tree labyrinth. Independent Exploration: Spend some time at leisure in Amsterdam. Gather with fellow travelers for a Welcome Reception and Dinner.
DAY 4 ~ April 15 Kampen
This morning explore Kampen and its picturesque Old Town before sailing on to Deventer.
Excursion: Deventer – Enjoy a walking town, featuring the cathedral, church towers and other quaint stone buildings.
Educational Focus: Dutch Masters.
DAY 5 ~ April 16, 2013 The Hague/ Delft
Excursion: Historic Cities of the Hague and Delft
Discover two historic cities: The Hague, site of the royal residences and world-class museums, and Delft home of Vermeer and lovely Canal houses. In The Hague, visit the renowned Mauritshuis, which houses some of Rembrandt and Vermeer's finest works. Visit Delft and stroll its Market Square. Admire the sights of Old Delft, including the palace Prinsenhof. Rejoin the ship, and cruise past the iconic windmills of Kinderdijk.
DAY 6 ~ April 17 ZEELAND COAST/ NEELTJE JANS ISLAND/ VEERE
Educational Focus and Excursion: The Delta Project.
Sail toward Veere and along the Zeeland coast to the Delta Expo on Neeltje Jans Island. Learn about the Delta Works, the massive dam and flood barriers that took 20 years to build. These 65 gates are slammed shut on the North Sea when powerful storms strike. This engineering masterpiece projects a third of Holland's landmass below sea level. Independent Exploration: The afternoon in Veere is yours.
DAY 7 ~ April 18 MIDDLEBURG/ BRUGES/ ANTWERP
Once nicknamed the Venice of the North, Bruges is a picturesque labyrinth of ivy-clad canals and cobbled streets. Discover charming medieval buildings and impressive art collection. See the colorful shops and cafés of the Markt and Burg Central Square.
Independent Exploration: The evening is at leisure in Antwerp.
DAY 8 ~ April 19 ANTWERP
Educational Focus: Belgium, Yesterday and Today.
Stroll through Antwerp, a major city in the world diamond trade since the 15th century. One of Europe's most important ports during the 16th and 17th centuries, the city was a center of art, fostering painters such as Rubens and van Dyck. This city also boasts a wealth of medieval architecture.
Independent Exploration: The afternoon in Antwerp is at leisure. Gather for a Farewell Reception and Graduation Ceremony, followed by a Farewell Dinner.
DAY 9 ~ April 20 IN TRANSIT
Transfer to the Brussels airport for the return flight to your gateway city.
Note: Itinerary subject to change. Some events on this program involve an element of walking.
*Provided for Air Program participants.
Cost & Program Inclusions:
Cabin rate (Per person – double occupancy) . . . $2,795
- Explore the waterways of Holland and Belgium aboard the exclusively chartered MS Amadeus Diamond
- Stroll through the famous Keukenhof Gardens, the world's most expansive and stunning floral display, where 70 acres of tulips and hyacinths bloom each spring.
- Enjoy a specially arranged presentation on the Dutch and Belgian Masters, and visit the renowned Mauritshuis in The Hague.
- Visit the fascinating Delta Project, a tribute to Holland's 2,000-year battle against the sea.
- Experience the medieval architecture and unique ambience of Belgium with visits to the beautiful Bruges and Antwerp.
- See the art of Vermeer and Rembrandt and the scenes that inspired them.
- Seven nights aboard the MS Amadeus Diamond
Activities and Events
- Informative educational programs, presented by local experts, will enhance your insight into the region.
- All excursions as outlined in your program itinerary.
- Attend a Welcome Reception and Dinner.
- Gather for a Farewell Reception and Graduation Ceremony followed by a Farewell Dinner.
Extensive Meal Program
- Enjoy seven breakfasts, four lunches and seven dinners; tea or coffee with all meals, plus wine with dinner.
- Take advantage of leisure time to try the local cuisine independently.
Many Included Extras
Back to the top »
- Consultation services of a dedicated Passenger Service Representative prior to departure.
- Services of a friendly, professional Campus Director and expert English-speaking local guides throughout your stay.
- Detailed travel and destination information to assist in planning.
- Tipping of excursion guides and drivers.
- Complimentary travel wallet.
MS AMADEUS DIAMOND
The state- of- the-art MS Amadeus Diamond made its cruising debut in 2009 and offers the utmost in service, safety and comfort to its passengers. Step into the elegant reception area and immerse yourself in an ambience reminiscent of a luxury hotel. Relax on the sun deck, connect with friends in the Internet café or browse in the boutique. Or, if you wish to be more active, practice your golf swing on the putting green, stroll along the walking track, work out in the fitness room. From the delightful breakfast and lunch buffets to the regional specialties served at dinner, savor a wide range of delicious international cuisine in the restaurant. At the end of each day, return to the comforts of your cabin. Appointed in bright, contemporary décor, each features a river view from an outward-facing window and satellite TV.
Back to the top »