Life has recently been discovered on two planets, currently
named Nearer and Farther. Survey expeditions are being undertaken to
characterize life on each, with the objective of comparing the
charcteristics of life on the two planets both with each other and with
life on earth. The general effort is to better understand general
properties of living systems.
Mission: You are a
member of one such expeditionary group.
- Your group must return with a scheme for categorizing plant life
on the planet assigned
- Your group should generate a report of the total number of unique
types of plants on the planet assigned.
- Your report should include your thoughts on why the planet
contains the particular number of different plants you describe.
- Your findings will be presented at a conference on "Diversity in
BioSystems: New Findings From Additional Cases", focused on the
question of whether "diversity" is or is not a fundamental
characteristic of living systems.
- Your group should also publish a summary of its findings in this
forum. Be sure to include in the text of your summary the names of all
Relevant information about
plant (and fungal) life on earth:
- What is an Ecosystem?
- Where does one start and another begin? How does one distinguish
- What do they do?
- What happens when ecosystems are degraded? How does one
even tell if ecosystem functions are diminished?
Links on Ecosystems and Biomes: