BRYN MAWR REVIEW OF COMPARATIVE LITERATURE
Volume 4, Number 1 (Summer 2003)
Spirit and Letter:
Technologies and Aesthetics of Modernity:
- Geoffrey Hartman, Scars of the Spirit: The Struggle Against Authenticity.
Reviewed by Kevin Hart, The University of Notre Dame.
Modes of Aesthetics:
- Sarah Danius, The Senses of Modernism: Technology, Perception, and Aesthetics.
Reviewed by Tim Harte, Bryn Mawr College.
- Paul Julian Smith, The Moderns: Time, Space, and Subjectivity in Contemporary Spanish Culture.
Reviewed by Marvin D'Lugo, Clark University.
- Philip Fisher, Wonder, the Rainbow, and the Aesthetics of Rare Experiences.
Reviewed by Bethany Schneider, Bryn Mawr College.
- Bruce Holsinger, Music, Body, and Desire in Medieval Culture: Hildegard of Bingen to Chaucer.
Reviewed by Maud Burnett McInerney, Haverford College.
Early Modern Explorations:
- Harriette Andreadis, Sappho in Early Modern England: Female Same-Sex Literary Erotics, 1550-1714.
Reviewed by Amelia Zurcher, Marquette University.
- Peter DeSa Wiggins, Donne, Castiglione, and the Poetry of Courtliness.
Reviewed by Joan E. Hartman, College of Staten Island, City University of New York.
- Madeleine Dobie, Foreign Bodies: Gender, Language, and Culture in French Orientalism.
Reviewed by Francis Higginson, Bryn Mawr College.