Bryn Mawr
 
 

Return to current Catalog Home

2005-06 Catalog Home

Academic Calendars
2005-06 and 2006-07

About the College

Contact and Web Site Information

The Academic Program

Academic Opportunities

Libraries and Educational Resources

Student Life

Admission

Fees and Financial Aid

Scholarship Funds and Prizes

Loan Funds

Geographical Distribution of Students

Board of Trustees

Faculty

Administration and Alumnae Association


Areas of Study

Africana Studies
Anthropology
Arts Program
Astronomy
Athletics and Physical Education
Biology
Chemistry
Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology
Comparative Literature
Computer Science
East Asian Studies
Economics
Education
English
Environmental Studies
Feminist and Gender Studies
Film Studies
Fine Arts
French and French Studies
General Studies
Geology
German and German Studies
Greek, Latin and Classical Studies
Growth and Structure of Cities
Hebrew and Judaic Studies
Hispanic and Hispanic-American Studies
History
History of Art
International Studies
Italian
Linguistics
Mathematics
Music
Neural and Behavioral Sciences
Peace and Conflict Studies
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Religion
Romance Languages
Russian
Sociology
Spanish

 

 

 
 
Search Bryn Mawr
 Admissions Academics Campus Life News and Events Visit Find
 

Scholarship Funds and Prizes

Scholarship Funds | Scholarships for International Students | Prizes and Academic Awards | Scholarships for Medical Study

The scholarships and prizes listed below have been made available to able and deserving students through the generosity of alumnae/i and friends of the College. Many of them represent the income on endowed funds which in some cases is supplemented by an additional grant, usually taken from expendable gifts from alumnae/i and parents. A student requesting aid does not apply to a particular fund but is considered for all awards administered by the College for which she is qualified.

The Alumnae Regional Scholarship program is the largest single contributor to Bryn Mawr’s scholarship awards. In addition to providing funds for the College’s financial aid program, alumnae select Regional Scholars to receive $2,000 research stipends for projects of their choice. This honor carries with it special significance as an award for both academic and personal excellence.

An outstanding scholarship program has been established by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, and several large corporations sponsor scholarship programs for children of employees. In addition to the generous awards made by these companies there are many others made by foundations and by individual and professional groups. Some of these are regional in designation. Students are urged to consult their schools and community agencies for information in regard to such opportunities.

Bryn Mawr College participates as a sponsor in the National Achievement Scholarship program. As sponsor, the College awards several scholarships through the National Merit Corporation. National Achievement finalists who have indicated that Bryn Mawr is their first choice among institutions will be referred to the College for consideration for this award.

Scholarship Funds

The Mary L. Jobe Akeley Scholarship Fund was established by bequest of Mary L. Jobe Akeley. It is for undergraduate scholarships with preference being given to students from Ohio. (1967)

The Warren Akin IV Scholarship Fund was established by gifts from Mr. and Mrs. Warren Akin (father) and Mr. and Mrs. William Morgan Akin (brother) of Warren Akin IV, M.A. ’71, Ph.D. ’75. The Fund is to be used for Bryn Mawr students, with preference given to graduate students in English. (1984)

The George I. Alden Scholarship Fund was established with a challenge grant of 3:1 from the George I. Alden Trust. The College successfully met the goal of $225,000 raised from alumnae and friends to secure the grant of $75,000. The Fund supports need-based scholarships for students from Massachusetts. (2000)

The Alumnae Bequest Scholarship Fund was established by bequests received for scholarships from alumnae of the College. (1965)

Alumnae Regional Scholarships are available to students in all parts of the United States. These scholarships, raised by alumnae, vary in amount and may be renewed each year.

The Marion Louise Ament Scholarship Fund was established by bequest of Berkley Neustadt in honor of his daughter Marion Louise Ament ’44. (1966)

The Evangeline Walker Andrews May Day Scholarship was established by bequest of Evangeline Walker Andrews, Class of 1893. The income from this Fund is to be used for undergraduate scholarships in the Department of English. Mrs. Andrews originated the Bryn Mawr May Day, which was first held in 1900. (1963)

The Constance M. K. Applebee Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest under the will of Constance M. K. Applebee, the first director of physical education at Bryn Mawr. Preference is to be given to students in physical education classes. (1981)

The Edith Heyward Ashley and Mabel Pierce Ashley Scholarship Fund was founded by bequest of Mabel Pierce Ashley ’10 and increased by bequest of Edith Heyward Ashley, A.B. 1905. The income is to be awarded as scholarships to undergraduate students majoring in history or English. (1963)

The Johanna M. Atkiss Scholarship Fund was established with a pledge from Ruth T. Atkiss ’36 in memory of her mother. The Fund supports scholarships to graduates of Girl’s High School, the Masterman School or a Philadelphia-area public high school (in that order of preference). (1999)

The Mildred P. Bach Fund was established by a bequest of Mildred P. Bach ’26 to provide scholarship support for resident students. (1992)

The William O. and Carole P. Bailey Fund for Russian Studies was established by Carole Parsons Bailey ’61 and William O. Bailey to support various activities of the Department of Russian, including undergraduate scholarships, teaching, research and the acquisition of library materials. (1995)

The Elizabeth Congdon Barron Scholarship Fund was founded by the bequest of Elizabeth Congdon Barron, A.B. 1902 “for the general purposes of the College.” Through gifts from her husband, Alexander J. Barron, the Fund was increased and the Elizabeth Congdon Barron Scholarship Fund was established. (1960)

The Florence Bascom Fund was established by bequest of Eleanor Lorenz ’18 to honor the College’s first professor of geology. The income from this Fund provides fellowship and scholarship monies for the Department of Geology. (1988)

The Fannie Beasley Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Chauncey H. Beasley, husband of Fannie Robb Carvin Beasley ’26, for undergraduate scholarships. (1996)

The Edith Schmid Beck Scholarship Fund was established by Edith Schmid Beck ’44. The income from this Fund will support undergraduate scholarships for students who have shown a commitment to working toward international peace and justice. (1999)

The Beekey Scholarship Fund was established by Lois E. Beekey ’55, Sara Beekey Pfaffenroth ’63 and Mrs. Cyrus E. Beekey. The income is awarded annually to a student majoring in a modern foreign language or in English. (1985)

The Deborah L. Berkman and Marshall L. Berkman Scholarship Fund was established by Deborah Levy Berkman ’59 and the family of Marshall Berkman through the Fair Oaks Foundation, as well as through a matching gift from the GE Fund. The Fund provides scholarship support. (1995)

The Elizabeth P. Bigelow Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by gifts from Mrs. Henry P. Bigelow in memory of her daughter, Elizabeth P. Bigelow, who graduated cum laude in 1930. (1960)

The Star K. Bloom and Estan J. Bloom Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from Star K. Bloom ’60 and her husband, Estan J. Bloom. The income is to be awarded to academically superior students from the southern part of the United States with preference being given to residents of Alabama. (1976)

The Virginia Burdick Blumberg Scholarship Fund was established by the College with the bequest of Virginia Burdick Blumberg ’31 to provide financial support for undergraduates. (1998)

The Book Shop Scholarships are awarded annually from the income from the Book Shop Fund. (1947)

The 1967 College Bowl Scholarship Fund of $16,000 was established by the Bryn Mawr College team from its winnings on the General Electric College Bowl television program. The scholarship grants were donated by the General Electric Company and by Seventeen Magazine and supplemented by gifts from the directors of the College. The members of the team were Ashley Doherty ’71, Ruth Gais ’68, Robin Johnson ’69 and Diane Ostheim ’69. Income from this Fund is awarded to an entering freshman in need of assistance. (1968)

The Norma L. and John Bowles ARCS Endowment for the Sciences was established by a gift from Norma Landwehr Bowles ’42. This Endowment supports a student, fellow or lecturer in the sciences who is an American citizen. The award is administered in accordance with the interests of the Achievement Research for College Students Foundation, which seeks to encourage young women to pursue careers in the sciences. (1987)

The James W. Broughton and Emma Hendricks Broughton Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from the estate of Mildred Hendricks Broughton ’39 in honor of her parents. The students selected for such financial aid shall be from the Midwestern United States. (1972)

The Abby Slade Brayton Durfee and Mary Brayton Durfee Brown Scholarship Fund was founded in honor of Abby Slade Brayton Durfee by bequest of her husband Randall N. Durfee. Mrs. Charles Bennett Brown ’30 and Randall N. Durfee Jr., have added to the Fund. Preference is given to candidates of English or American descent and to descendants of the Class of 1894. (1924)

The Hannah Brusstar Memorial Scholarship was established by a bequest from the estate of Margaret E. Brusstar, A.B. 1903. The income from the Fund is to be awarded annually to an undergraduate student who shows unusual ability in mathematics. (1976)

The Bryn Mawr Alumnae Physicians Fund for Premedical Students was established under the sponsorship of two alumnae directors of the College. The income from this Fund is to provide a flexible source of financial help to women at Bryn Mawr who have decided to enter medicine, whether or not they choose to major in physical sciences. (1975)

Bryn Mawr at the Tenth Decade. This pooled fund was established in the course of the Tenth Decade Campaign for those who wished to contribute to endowment for undergraduate student aid. (1973)

The Bryn Mawr Club of Princeton Scholarship was established by the alumnae of the Bryn Mawr Club of Princeton to support undergraduate scholarships, with preference given to undergraduates from New Jersey. In 1997, the description of the fund was amended at the request of the Bryn Mawr Club of Princeton to also provide support to graduate students from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research. (1974)

The Jacob Fussell Byrnes and Mary Byrnes Fund was established in memory of her mother and father by a bequest under the will of Esther Fussell Byrnes, A.B. 1891, M.A. 1894, Ph.D. 1898. (1948)

The Sophia Sonne Campbell Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Sophia Sonne Campbell ’51. (1973)

The Mariam Coffin Canaday Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from the Ward M. and Mariam C. Canaday Educational and Charitable Trust. The income from this Fund is to provide scholarships with preference given to students from Toledo, Ohio, or from District VI of the Alumnae Association. (1962)

The Antoinette Cannon Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from Janet Thornton, A.B. 1905 in memory of her friend Antoinette Cannon, A.B. 1907. (1963)

The Jeannette Peabody Cannon Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in memory of Jeannette Peabody Cannon ’19 through the efforts of the New England Alumnae Regional Scholarship Committee, of which she was a member for 20 years. The Scholarship is awarded every three years on the nomination of the Alumnae Scholarship Committee to a promising member of the freshman class, resident of New England, who needs financial assistance. The Scholarship may be held during the remaining three years of her college course provided a high standard is maintained. In 1962 the Fund was increased by a generous gift from Charlotte Farquhar Wing of New Haven. (1949)

The Susan Shober Carey Memorial Fund was founded in memory of Susan Shober Carey by gifts from the Class of 1925 and is awarded annually by the president. (1931)

The Florence and Dorothy Child Memorial Scholarship of Bryn Mawr College was founded by bequest of Florence C. Child, A.B. 1905. The income from this fund is to be used for the residence fees of students who, without such assistance, would be unable to live in the halls. Preference is to be given to graduates of the Agnes Irwin School and to members of the Society of Friends. If no suitable applicants are available in these two groups, the scholarship aid will then be assigned by the College to students who could not live in residence halls without such assistance and who are not holding other scholarships. (1958)

The Augusta D. Childs Scholarship Fund was established by bequest from the estate of Augusta D. Childs. (1970)

The Jacob Orie and Elizabeth S. M. Clarke Memorial Scholarship was established by bequest from the estate of Elizabeth Clarke and is awarded annually to a student born in the United States or any of its territories. (1948)

The Class of 1903 Scholarship Fund was established by a gift on the occasion of the 50th reunion of the class. The income from this Fund is to be awarded annually to a member of the first-year, sophomore or junior class for use in the sophomore, junior or senior years. (1953)

The Class of 1922 Memorial Scholarship Fund was established at the suggestion of members of the Class of 1922 as a perpetual class fund to which members of the class can continue to contribute. (1972)

The Class of 1939 Memorial Fund was established by the Class of 1939 to provide unrestricted scholarship support. (1985)

The Class of 1943 Scholarship Fund was established by gifts from the James H. and Alice I. Goulder Foundation, Inc., of which Alice Ireman Goulder ’43 and her husband are officers. Members of the Class of 1943 and others add to the Fund, which continues to grow, and it is hoped that eventually the yearly income will provide full scholarship aid for one or more students at Bryn Mawr. (1974)

The Class of 1944 Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by the Class of 1944 in memory of Jean Mungall and other deceased classmates. (1959)

The Class of 1958 Scholarship Fund was established by the Class of 1958 on the occasion of the 40th reunion of the class to provide undergraduate scholarship support. (1998)

The Julia Cope Collins Scholarship was established by bequest from the estate of Julia Cope Collins, Class of 1889. (1959)

The Alice Perkins Coville Scholarship Fund was established by Agnes Frances Perkins, Class of 1898, in honor of her sister, Alice Perkins Coville. (1948)

The Regina Katharine Crandall Scholarship was established by a group of her students as a tribute to Regina Katharine Crandall, Margaret Kingsland Haskell Professor of English Composition from 1918 to 1933. The income from this fund is awarded to a sophomore, junior or senior who in her written English has shown ability and promise and who needs assistance to continue her college work. (1950)

The Louise Hodges Crenshaw Memorial Scholarship Fund. The Army Emergency Relief Board of Managers approved a gift of $10,000 representing a part of a bequest to them from Evelyn Hodges, Mrs. Crenshaw’s sister. The income is to be used to provide scholarships for dependent children of Army members meeting A.E.R. eligibility requirements. (1978)

The Raymond E. and Hilda Buttenwieser Crist ’20 Scholarship Fund was established by Raymond E. Crist to provide scholarship support for incoming or returning students who have financial need and are academically outstanding. (1989)

The Annie Lawrie Fabens Crozier Scholarship Award was established by a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Abbott P. Usher in memory of Mrs. Usher’s daughter, Annie Lawrie Fabens Crozier ’51. The Scholarship is to be awarded to a junior or senior of distinction who is majoring in English. (1960)

The Rebecca Taylor Mattson Darlington Scholarship Fund was established by members of her family in memory of Rebecca Taylor Mattson Darlington, Class of 1896. (1968)

The Louise Dickey Davison Fund was established by R. John Davison and Roderic H. Davison in memory of Louise Dickey Davison ’37, M.A. ’38. The Fund provides undergraduate financial aid support, with preference to students in Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology or Classics. (1995)

The Frances de Graaff Memorial Scholarship Fund was established with gifts from family and friends of Frances de Graaff, Professor Emeritus of Russian, to establish a fund in her memory. The Fund supports study abroad for undergraduate or graduate students in Russian. (1999)

The E. Merrick Dodd and Winifred H. Dodd Scholarship Fund was established by bequest of Dr. and Mrs. Dodd. (1953)

The Dolphin Scholarship is a full-tuition, four-year scholarship for an outstanding student from the New York City public schools, made possible by an anonymous donor. (1984)

The Josephine Devigne Donovan Memorial Fund was established from gifts from the family and friends of Josephine Devigne Donovan ’38, in her memory. It provides scholarship support for an undergraduate studying in France during her junior year. (1996)

The Lincoln and Clarissa Dryden Fund for Paleontology was established by Clarissa Dryden ’32, M.A. ’35. This endowed Fund supports activities in paleontology, including research, education, travel and undergraduate financial aid. Preference for financial aid is to be given to students in paleontology, geology, environmental studies and archaeology. (1995)

The Ida L. Edlin Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from the estate of Ida L. Edlin. The income is to be used for scholarships for deserving students in fine arts or humanities. (1976)

The Ellen Silberblatt Edwards Scholarship Fund was established by friends, family and classmates of Ellen Silberblatt Edwards ’64 to honor her memory. The Scholarship is to be awarded to an entering student, preferably from New York City, whose promise of success at Bryn Mawr is not necessarily shown in conventional ways. (1994)

The Evelyn Flower Morris Cope and Jacqueline Pascal Morris Evans Memorial Scholarship was established by Edward W. Evans in memory of Evelyn Flower Morris Cope, A.B. 1903 and Jacqueline Pascal Morris Evans, A.B. 1908. The fund provides unrestricted scholarship support. (1958)

The Ellen Winsor and Rebecca Winsor Evans Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by bequests by both Ellen Winsor and Rebecca Winsor Evans. The Scholarship is to be awarded to a resident African-American student. (1959)

The Faculty/Staff Minority Scholarship Fund was established by gifts received from faculty and staff members in response to an appeal issued during the Campaign for Bryn Mawr to support scholarship aid for minority undergraduates. (1998)

The Marguerite N. Farley Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Marguerite N. Farley with preference to be given to foreign students. (1956)

The Helen Feldman Scholarship Fund was established by the Class of 1968 at their graduation and friends of Helen Feldman ’68. The income from this Fund is to be used to support summer study in the Soviet Union. (1968)

The Donita Ferguson Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from the estate of Donita Ferguson Borden ’32. The Fund provides unrestricted scholarship support. (1987)

The Frances C. Ferris Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from the estate of Frances C. Ferris. The income from this Fund is to be used to assist Friends who would otherwise be unable to attend Bryn Mawr College. (1977)

The Anna Long Flanagan Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from Anna Long Flanagan, A.B. 1906 on the occasion of the 55th reunion of the class. The income is to be used to provide scholarships for Protestant students. (1961)

The Reginald S. and Julia W. Fleet Foundation Scholarship Fund was established by gifts from the Reginald S. and Julia W. Fleet Foundation. (1974)

The Alice Downing Hart Floyd Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from the estate of Olive Floyd ’22. The Scholarship is awarded for four years to a student with high academic potential and achievement and a well-rounded personality, preferably from New England. (1986)

The Cora B. Fohs and F. Julius Fohs Perpetual Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from the Fohs Foundation. (1965)

The Folly Ranch Fund was established by an anonymous gift, the income from which is to be used for graduate and undergraduate scholarships in honor of Eleanor Donnelley Erdman ’21, Clarissa Donnelley Haffner ’21, Elizabeth P. Taylor ’21 and Jean T. Palmer ’24. (1974)

The William Franklin Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from Susan B. Franklin, Class of 1889. The income from this Fund is to be used for scholarships for deserving girls, preference being given whenever possible to girls from the Rogers High School, Newport, Rhode Island. (1957)

The Edgar M. Funkhouser Memorial Scholarship Fund was established from his estate by Anne Funkhouser Francis ’33. Awards may vary in amount up to full tuition and be tenable for four years, preference being given first to residents of southwest Virginia, and thereafter to students from District IV eligible for aid in any undergraduate year. (1964)

The Helen Hartman Gemmill Fund for Financial Aid was established by a bequest from Helen Hartman Gemmill ’38 to support undergraduate scholarships. (1999)

The Helen Hartman Gemmill Scholarship for students majoring in English has been funded by the Warwick Foundation since 1967. In addition, Helen Hartman Gemmill ’38 made a gift on the occasion of her 40th reunion to establish an endowed fund for undergraduate scholarships. (1978)

The Hazel Goldmark Fund was established by the family of Hazel Seligman Goldmark ’30 with a gift from Hazel Goldmark’s estate. Although she did not provide for the College in her will, Mrs. Goldmark told her daughters of her wish to give a gift to Bryn Mawr. Because she worked for many years in the New York Bryn Mawr Bookstore to raise money for scholarships, the College administration recommended that the gift be used for financial aid for students. (1991)

The Barbara and Arturo Gomez Scholarship Fund was established by Barbara Baer Gomez ’43, M.A. ’44, and her husband, Arturo Gomez, to provide scholarship assistance to Mexican undergraduates. (1996)

The Phyllis Goodhart Gordan Scholarship Fund was established by gifts from the Class of 1935 in honor of Phyllis Goodhart Gordan ’35. The Fund is used to support scholarships with preference given to students in the languages. (1985)

The Michel Guggenheim Scholarship Fund was established by friends of Michel Guggenheim to honor him on the occasion of his retirement. The Fund will support scholarships for students attending the Institut d’Etudes Françaises d’Avignon. (1998)

The Habsburg, Feldman Scholarship Fund was established by Habsburg, Feldman Fine Art Auctioneers to support scholarship aid for students who demonstrate excellence in the study of history of art. (1990)

The Edith Rockwell Hall Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from the estate of Florence R. Hall in memory of her sister Edith Rockwell Hall, Class of 1892. (1977)

The Anna Hallowell Memorial Scholarship was founded in memory of Anna Hallowell by her family. The income is awarded annually to the junior in need of aid who has the highest academic record. (1912)

The Alice Ferree Hayt Memorial Prize was established by a bequest from the estate of Effie Todd Hayt in memory of her daughter, Alice Ferree Hayt. The income of the fund is to be awarded annually to one or more students of the College in need of financial assistance for their personal use. (1977)

The Nora M. and Patrick J. Healy Scholarship Fund was established when family and friends of Patrick Healy, father of Margaret (Ph.D. ’69) and Nora (M.S.S. ’73), made gifts to the Nora M. Healy Fund in his memory. The Nora M. Healy Fund was established in 1982 with memorial gifts received for Mrs. Healy, Patrick’s wife. The purpose of the Fund is financial aid for students with preference given to students from either of the graduate schools. (1989)

The William Randolph Hearst Scholarship for Minority Students was established by grants from The Hearst Foundation, Inc. to endow an undergraduate scholarship fund for minority students. (1992)

The Katharine Hepburn Scholarship, first given for the year 1969-70, is awarded annually in honor of Katharine Hepburn ’28 to a student interested in the study of drama and motion pictures and in the cultivation of English diction and literary appreciation. (1952)

The Katharine Houghton Hepburn Memorial Scholarship was given in memory of Katharine Houghton Hepburn, Class of 1900. The income from this fund is awarded for the junior or senior year to a student or students who have demonstrated both ability in her or their chosen field and independence of mind and spirit. (1958)

The Annemarie Bettmann Holborn Fund was established by Hanna Holborn Gray ’50 and her husband, Charles Gray, in honor of Mrs. Gray’s mother, Annemarie Bettmann Holborn. The income from the Fund is to be used for scholarship and fellowship aid to undergraduate or graduate students in the field of classics, including classical archaeology. (1991)

The George Bates Hopkins Memorial Scholarships were founded by a gift from Mrs. Elizabeth Hopkins Johnson in memory of her father. Preference is given to students of music and, in default of these, to students majoring in history and thereafter to students in other departments. (1921)

The Maria Hopper Scholarships, two in number, were founded by bequest under the will of Maria Hopper of Philadelphia and are awarded annually. The income from this fund is used for aid to sophomores. (1901)

The Leila Houghteling Memorial Scholarship Fund was founded in memory of Leila Houghteling ’11 by members of her family and a group of her contemporaries. It is awarded every three years on the nomination of the Alumnae Scholarship and Loan Fund Committee to a member of the freshman class and is held during the remaining three years of her college course. (1929)

The Shippen Huidekoper Scholarship Fund was established by an anonymous gift. The income is awarded annually on the nomination of the president. (1936)

The Evelyn Hunt Scholarships, two in number, were founded in memory of Evelyn Hunt by a bequest under the will of Evelyn Ramsey Hunt, Class of 1898. (1931)

The Lillia Babbitt Hyde Scholarship Fund was established by gifts from the Lillia Babbitt Hyde Foundation to establish the Lillia Babbitt Hyde Scholarship for award, in so far as possible, to students whose major subject will lead to a medical education or a scientific education in chemistry. (1963)

The Jane Lilley Ireson Scholarship was established by a bequest of Jennie E. Ireson in honor of her mother, Jane Lilley Ireson. The income from this fund is awarded to worthy students who require financial assistance. (1959)

The Alice Schlosberg Isador Fund for the Study of French was established by Alice Schlosberg Isador to provide support for a meritorious and needy student of French who is interested in teaching, to study abroad in the summer at the Institut d’Etudes Françaises d’Avignon or an accredited Junior Year Abroad Program during the academic year. (1995)

The Alice Day Jackson Scholarship Fund was given by the late Percy Jackson in memory of his wife, Alice Day Jackson, A.B. 1902. The income from this Fund is awarded annually to an entering student. (1930)

The Elizabeth Bethune Higginson Jackson Scholarship Fund was established by gifts in memory of Elizabeth Bethune Higginson Jackson, Class of 1897, by members of her family and friends. The income from the Fund is to be used for scholarships for undergraduate students as determined by the College Scholarship Committee. (1974)

The E. Wheeler and Florence Jenkins Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Dorothy DeG. Jenkins ’20 in memory of her parents. The Fund is used for scholarships, with preference given to students in the Departments of Mathematics or Physics. (1981)

The Henrietta C. Jennings Scholarship Fund was established with remainder interest of a Living Income Agreement provided by Henrietta C. Jennings. (1984)

The Pauline Jones Scholarship Fund was established by friends, students, and colleagues in honor of Pauline Jones ’35 upon the occasion of her retirement after five decades of service to the College. The Fund provides financial aid to either undergraduate French majors or graduate students in French. (1985)

The Kate Kaiser Scholarship Fund was established by Ruth Kaiser Nelson ’58 in honor of her mother, Kate Kaiser. The Fund provides scholarship support, with preference given to non-traditional-age students. (1991)

The Sue Mead Kaiser Scholarship Fund was established by the alumnae of the Bryn Mawr Club of Northern California and other individuals in memory of Sue Mead Kaiser ’31. (1974)

The Kathryn M. Kalbfleisch and George C. Kalbfleisch Scholarship Fund was established under the will of Kathryn M. Kalbfleisch ’24. (1972)

The Alice Lovell Kellogg Fund was founded by a bequest by Alice Lovell Kellogg, A.B. 1903 to provide scholarships for deserving students. (1965)

The Minnie Murdoch Kendrick Memorial Scholarship, tenable for four years, was founded by bequest of George W. Kendrick Jr., in memory of his wife. It is awarded every four years to a candidate nominated by the Alumnae Association from the Philadelphia High School for Girls. (1916)

The Misses Kirk Scholarship Fund was founded in honor of the Misses Kirk by the Alumnae Association of the Kirk School in Bryn Mawr. (1929)

The Kopal Scholarship Fund was established by gifts from Zdenka Kopal Smith ’65 and her family to honor the memory of Zdenek Kopal and Eva M. Kopal. The scholarship was conceived of by Zdenka’s late sister, Eva M. Kopal ’71, to honor her father, astronomer Zdenek Kopal (1914-1993). The income supports undergraduate scholarships. (2001)

The Catharine J. Korman Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from the estate of Catharine J. Korman ’17 to provide unrestricted scholarship support. (1986)

The Laura Schlageter Krause Scholarship Fund was established by the gift of Laura Schlageter Krause ’43 to provide financial support for undergraduates in the humanities. (1998)

The Charlotte Louise Belshe Kress Scholarship Fund was established by bequest of Paul F. Kress in memory of his wife, Charlotte Louise Belshe Kress ’54. The Scholarship is to be awarded to an undergraduate. (1994)

The Ida E. Richardson, Alice H. Richardson and Edward P. Langley Scholarship Fund was established by bequest under the will of Edward P. Langley. (1969)

The Minor W. Latham Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from the estate of John C. Latham in memory of his sister, Minor W. Latham, a graduate student at Bryn Mawr in 1904. The scholarships provide tuition, living expenses and extras for one or more financially-needy students from the South who will be or are majoring in English literature. (1984)

The Marguerite Lehr Scholarship Fund was established through gifts made by former students and friends of Marguerite Lehr, Ph.D. ’25, a member of the Bryn Mawr faculty from 1924 to 1967. The income from this Fund supports needy undergraduate students who have demonstrated excellence in the field of mathematics. (1988)

The Clara Bertram Little Memorial Scholarship was founded by Eleanor Little Aldrich, A.B. 1905 in memory of her mother. The income is awarded to an entering student from New England on the basis of merit and financial need. (1947)

The Louise Steinhart Loeb Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from the Louise and Henry Loeb Fund at Community Foundations, Inc. at the direction of Louise Steinhart Loeb ’37. The income supports undergraduate scholarships. (2001)

The Mary Anna Longstreth Memorial Scholarship was given in memory of Mary Anna Longstreth by alumnae and children of alumnae of the Mary Anna Longstreth School and by a few of her friends. (1912)

The Lorenz-Showers Scholarship Fund was established by Justina Lorenz Showers, A.B. 1907 in honor of her parents, Edmund S. Lorenz and Florence K. Lorenz, and her husband, John Balmer Showers. (1943)

The Alice Low Lowry Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by gifts in memory of Alice Low Lowry ’38 by members of her family and friends. The income is to be used for scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students. (1968)

The Lucas Scholarship Fund was established by Diana Daniel Lucas ’44 in memory of her parents, Eugene Willett van Court Lucas Jr. and Diana Elmendorf Richards Lucas, her brother, Peter Randell Lucas, and her uncle, John Daniel Lucas. The Fund provides unrestricted scholarship support. (1985)

The Katharine Mali Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Katharine Mali ’23 for undergraduate scholarships. (1980)

The Helen Taft Manning Scholarship Fund was established by Julia Bolton Fleet ’43 through a gift from the Reginald and Julia B. Fleet Foundation in memory of Helen Taft Manning ’15. The income from this Fund provides unrestricted undergraduate scholarship support. (1987)

The Lula M. Margetis Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Lula M. Margetis, a graduate student at the College in 1939. It is for scholarships for students in the Department of Classical Languages. (1996)

The Dorothy Nepper Marshall Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from the estate of Dorothy Nepper Marshall, Ph.D. 1944, to provide unrestricted scholarship support. (1986)

The Katherine McClatchy McAnaney Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest under the will of Francis A. McAnaney, husband of Katherine McClatchy McAnaney ’35, for undergraduate scholarship support. (1993)

The Katharine E. McBride Endowed Scholarship Fund was established with an initial challenge gift from an anonymous McBride alumna. Gifts from alumnae and friends during a two-year fundraising effort, which included a second challenge from Susan Ahlstrom ’93 and Bill Ahlstrom, combined to establish an endowed scholarship fund. The income provides scholarship support for students with financial need enrolled in the McBride Scholars Program. The recipients are selected by the Director of Financial Aid in consultation with the Dean of the McBride Scholars Program, with preference given to sophomores, juniors or seniors. (2001)

The Katharine E. McBride Undergraduate Scholarship Fund was established by a gift made by Gwen Davis ’54. It has been added to by others in honor of Miss McBride. (1970)

The Gertrude Howard Honor McCormick Scholarship Fund was established by gift of the late Gertrude Howard Honor McCormick. The Scholarship is awarded to a student of excellent standing, preferably for her freshman year. If she maintains excellent work in college, she may continue to receive scholarship aid through her sophomore, junior and senior years. (1950)

The Margaret Hines McKenzie Scholarship Fund was established by bequest of Margaret Hines McKenzie ’30 to provide scholarship support for undergraduate women from the southern states, with preference to the state of North Carolina. (1993)

The Anne Cutting Jones and Edith Melcher Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Anne Cutting Jones and Edith Melcher for a student in the Department of French. (1971)

The Midwest Scholarship Endowment Fund was established by alumnae from District VII in order “to enlarge the benefits which can be provided for able students from the Midwest.” (1974)

The Beatrice Miller Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Beatrice Miller Ullrich ’13. (1969)

The Elinor Dodge Miller Scholarship Fund was established by the Miller and Chevalier Charitable Foundation in memory of Elinor Dodge Miller, A.B. 1902. The Fund provides scholarship support to students of good moral character and honorable conduct whose past scholarship records are meritorious. (1959)

The Karen Lee Mitchell ’86 Scholarship Fund was established in memory of Karen Lee Mitchell ’86 by her parents. The Fund provides scholarship support for students of English literature with a special interest in women’s studies, a field of particular concern to their daughter, Karen. (1992)

The Jesse S. Moore Foundation Fund was established by Caroline Moore ’56 for post-college women with financial need who have matriculated at Bryn Mawr through the Katharine E. McBride Scholars Program. (1982)

The Constance Lewis and Martha Rockwell Moorhouse 1904 Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by the Class of 1904 in memory of their classmates, Constance Lewis and Martha Rockwell Moorhouse. (1920)

The Margaret B. Morison Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Margaret B. Morison, A.B. 1907. The Fund gives preference to graduates of the Bryn Mawr School in Baltimore, Maryland. (1981)

The Mary McLean and Ellen A. Murter Memorial Fund was founded in memory of her two aunts by bequest of Mary E. Stevens of Germantown, Philadelphia. The income is used for an annual scholarship. (1933)

The Frank L. Neall and Mina W. Neall Scholarship Fund was established by a legacy from the estate of Adelaide W. Neall, A.B. 1906 in memory of her parents. (1957)

The New Hampshire Scholarship Fund was established by the Spaulding-Potter Charitable Trust. A matching fund was raised by contributions from New Hampshire alumnae. Income from the two funds is awarded each year to an undergraduate from New Hampshire. (1964)

The Alice F. Newkirk Scholarship Fund was founded by bequest of Alice F. Newkirk, graduate student in 1910-12 and 1919-20. (1965)

The Patricia McKnew Nielsen Scholarship Fund was established by Patricia McKnew Nielsen ’43. The Fund supports scholarships for undergraduate students, with preference given to psychology majors. (1985)

The Bertha Norris Bowen and Mary Rachel Norris Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by bequest under the will of Mary Rachel Norris, A.B. 1905, B.A. 1906, M.S. ’11 in memory of Bertha Norris Bowen, who for many years was a teacher in Philadelphia. (1971)

The Mary Frances Nunns Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest under the will of Mary Frances Nunns. (1960)

The Pacific Northwest Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from Natalie Bell Brown ’43. Preference is given to students from the Pacific Northwest. (1976)

The Jane M. Oppenheimer Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of James H. Oppenheimer in honor of his daughter, Jane M. Oppenheimer ’32, William R. Kenan Jr. Professor Emeritus of Biology and History of Science. The Fund is to provide scholarships for students in the Department of Biology, with preference to be given to Jewish students. (1997)

The Marie Hambalek Palm ’70 Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by the gifts of Gregory Palm and the family and friends of Marie Hambalek Palm ’70, in her memory, to provide financial aid for undergraduates. (1998)

The Florence Morse Palmer Scholarship was founded in memory of Florence Morse Palmer by her daughter, Jean T. Palmer ’24. (1954)

The Margaret Tyler Paul Scholarship was established by the 40th reunion gift from the Class of 1922. (1963)

The Fanny R. S. Peabody Scholarship Fund was established by bequest of Fanny R. S. Peabody. The income from the Peabody Fund is awarded to students from the western states. (1942)

The Delia Avery Perkins Scholarship was established by bequest from Delia Avery Perkins, A.B. 1900. Mrs. Perkins was chairman of the New Jersey Scholarship Committee for a number of years. The income from this fund is to be awarded to freshman students from Northern New Jersey. (1965)

The Ruth Peters ’28 Endowed Scholarship was established by a bequest of Mary Peters Fieser ’30, in memory of her sister, Ruth Peters ’28. The Fund is to be used for undergraduate scholarships. (1997)

The Mary DeWitt Pettit Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from the Class of 1928 to honor their classmate and is used for student scholarship aid. (1978)

The Ethel C. Pfaff Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from Ethel C. Pfaff, A.B. 1904. The income from this Fund is to be awarded to entering freshmen. (1967)

The Vinton Liddell Pickens ’22 Scholarship Fund was established by Cornelia Pickens Suhler ’47 in memory of her mother. The Fund provides support to undergraduates, with preference to students majoring in Fine Arts or the Growth and Structure of Cities, or concentrating in Environmental Studies. (1995)

The Mary H. Plaut ’42 and Alice S. Plaut, A.B. 1908 Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of N. Michael Plaut in honor of his wife, Mary B. Hollis Plaut ’42, and his mother, Alice S. Plaut, A.B. 1908. The Fund provides scholarships for undergraduates from New Hampshire, with preference to students from public schools in Cheshire County, New Hampshire. (1997)

The Louise Hyman Pollak Scholarship was founded by the Board of Trustees from a bequest by Louise Hyman Pollak, A.B. 1908. The income from this fund, which has been supplemented by gifts from the late Julian A. Pollak and his son, David Pollak, is awarded annually to an entering student from one of the central states, east of the Mississippi River. Preference is given to residents of Cincinnati. (1932)

The Porter Scholarship Fund was established by Carol Porter Carter ’60 and her mother, Mrs. Paul W. Porter. The Fund supports a returning student by providing funds for books or living expenses. (1985)

The Anna M. Powers Memorial Scholarship was founded in memory of Anna M. Powers by a gift from her daughter, Mrs. J. Campbell Harris. It is awarded annually to a senior. (1902)

The Anna and Ethel Powers Memorial Scholarship was established by a gift in memory of Anna Powers, Class of 1890, by her sister, Mrs. Charles Merrill Hough. The fund has been re-established in memory of both Anna Powers and her sister, Mrs. Hough (Ethel Powers), by Nancy Hough Smith ’25. (1919)

The Thomas H. Powers Memorial Scholarship was founded in memory of Thomas H. Powers by bequest under the will of his daughter, Mrs. J. Campbell Harris. It is awarded annually to a senior. (1902)

The Patricia A. Quinn Scholarship Fund was established by Joseph J. Connolly in honor of his wife, Patricia Quinn Connolly ’91. The Fund provides financial aid to an undergraduate student who has graduated from a high school of the Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia. The Quinn Scholarship can also be awarded to a student with financial need in the Katharine E. McBride Scholars Program, or to another non-traditional age student at the College, if in a given year no students meet the above criteria. (1991)

The Caroline Remak Ramsay Scholarship Fund was established with a gift from Caroline Remak Ramsay ’25 to provide scholarship support for undergraduate students in the social sciences. (1992)

The James E. Rhoads Memorial Scholarships were founded in memory of the first president of the College, Dr. James E. Rhoads, by the Alumnae Association of Bryn Mawr College. The income is awarded annually to two students. The James E. Rhoads Memorial Junior Scholarship is awarded to a student who has attended Bryn Mawr for at least three semesters, has done excellent work and expresses her intention of fulfilling the requirements for the degree of Bachelor of Arts at the College. The James E. Rhoads Memorial Sophomore Scholarship is awarded to a student who has attended Bryn Mawr College for at least one semester and who also meets the above conditions. (1898)

The Amelia Richards Scholarship was founded in memory of Amelia Richards ’18 by bequest of her mother, Mrs. Lucy P. Wilson. It is awarded annually by the trustees on the nomination of the president. (1921)

The Maximilian and Reba E. Richter Scholarship Fund was established by bequest of Max Richter, father of Helen Richter Elser ’13. The income from this Fund is to be used to provide assistance for one or more students in obtaining either an academic or professional degree. The Fund shall be administered on a non-sectarian basis to such applicants as are deemed worthy by habits of character and scholarship. No promises of repayment shall be exacted, but it is hoped that students so benefited will desire, when possible, to contribute to the Fund in order that similar aid may be extended to others. Such students shall be selected from among the graduates of public high schools or public colleges in New York city. (1961)

The Alice Mitchell Rivlin Scholarship Fund was established through a gift from an anonymous donor in honor of Alice Mitchell Rivlin ’52. The income from the Fund supports undergraduate scholarships. (1996)

The Nancy Perry Robinson Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from Mrs. Huston B. Almond of Philadelphia in memory of her godchild, Nancy Perry Robinson ’45. The income of the Fund is to be awarded annually to an undergraduate student, with preference being given to a student majoring in French. (1973)

The Marie L. Rose Huguenot Scholarship makes $1,000 a year available to students of Huguenot ancestry nominated by the College for award by The Huguenot Society of America. Special application forms are available from the College’s Office of Financial Aid.

The Margaret LaFoy Rossiter and Mabel Gibson LaFoy Fund was established by Margaret LaFoy Rossiter, M.A. ’38, Ph.D. ’41 and her husband. The Fund provides scholarship support, with preference to women in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and may be used to support able junior or senior undergraduates. (1994)

The Edith Rondinella Rudolphy Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Elisabeth L. Rondinella in memory of her daughter Edith Rondinella Rudolphy ’19. The income from the Fund is to be used for the lodging, board and tuition of deserving students. (1992)

The Ruth L. Sampter Fund was established by the bequest of Ruth L. Sampter to support deserving students in the Department of English, especially those with an interest in poetry. (1989)

The Serena Hand Savage Memorial Scholarship was established in memory of Serena Hand Savage ’22 by her friends. It is awarded to a member of the junior class who shows great distinction of scholarship and character. This scholarship may be renewed in the senior year. (1951)

The J. Henry Scattergood Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from the Friends’ Freedmen’s Association to be used for undergraduate scholarships for African-American students. (1975)

The Constance Schaar Scholarship Fund was established by the parents and friends of Constance Schaar ’63. The Class of 1963 added their first reunion gift to this Fund. (1964)

The Scholarship Endowment Fund was established by a gift from Constance E. Flint to support undergraduate scholarships. (1970)

The Zella Boynton Selden Scholarship Fund was established in memory of Zella B. Selden ’20 in recognition of her many years of devoted work with the New York and Southern Connecticut Regional Scholarship Committee. (1976)

The Judith Harris Selig Scholarship Fund was established in memory of Judith Harris Selig ’57 by members of her family, classmates and friends. In 1970 the Fund was increased by a further gift from her parents, Dr. and Mrs. Herman S. Harris. (1968)

The Mary Williams Sherman Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by bequest of Bertha Williams of Princeton, New Jersey. (1942)

The Frances Marion Simpson Scholarships, carrying up to full tuition and tenable for four years, were founded in memory of Frances Simpson Pfahler, A.B. 1906 by Justice Alexander Simpson Jr. One scholarship is awarded each year to a member of the entering freshman class. In awarding these scholarships preference is given first to residents of Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties, who have been prepared in the public schools of these counties; thereafter, under the same conditions, to residents to other counties of Pennsylvania and, in special cases, to candidates from other localities. Holders of these scholarships are expected to repay the sums advanced to them. (1912)

The Lillian Seidler Slaff Scholarship Fund was established in memory of Lillian Seidler Slaff ’40 to provide an award to a member of the junior class for outstanding work in the social sciences. (1980)

The Gertrude Slaughter Scholarship Fund was established by bequest of Gertrude Taylor Slaughter, Class of 1893. The income on this Fund is to be awarded preferably to students of Greek or Latin. (1964)

The Anna Margaret Sloan and Mary Sloan Scholarships were founded by bequest of Mary Sloan of Pittsburgh. The income is awarded annually to students majoring in philosophy or psychology. (1942)

The Smalley Foundation Scholarship is made possible by a grant from The Smalley Foundation, awarded in honor of Elisa Dearhouse Doyle ’85 to provide an annual scholarship for an undergraduate. (1995)

The W. W. Smith Scholar Grants are made possible by the W. W. Smith Charitable Trust. The scholarships are awarded to needy, full-time undergraduate students in good academic standing, and may be awarded to the same student for two or more years. (1978)

The Cordelia Clark Sowden Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from Helen C. Sowden. (1957)

The C. V. Starr Scholarship Fund was established by a grant from the Starr Foundation to provide scholarship support with preference to undergraduate students. (1988)

The Marian Frances Statler Fund was established by bequest of Ellsworth Morgan Statler in honor of his sister Marian Frances Statler, A.B. 1902. The income from this Fund supports undergraduate scholarships. (1988)

The Amy Sussman Steinhart Scholarship, carrying full tuition, was founded in memory of Amy Sussman Steinhart, A.B. 1902 by her family and friends. The income is awarded annually to an entering student from one of the states on the west coast. (1932)

The Mary E. Stevens Scholarship Fund was given in memory of Mary E. Stevens by former pupils of the Stevens School in Germantown. The scholarship is awarded annually to a junior. (1897)

The Anna Lord Strauss Scholarship and Fellowship Fund was established by a gift from Anna Lord Strauss to support graduate and undergraduate students who are interested in fields leading to public service or which involve education in the process of government. (1976)

The Summerfield Foundation Scholarship was established by a gift from the Solon E. Summerfield Foundation. The income from this fund is to be used to assist able students who need financial help to continue their studies. (1958)

The Mary Hamilton Swindler Scholarship for the study of archaeology was established in honor of Mary Hamilton Swindler, Professor of Classical Archaeology from 1931 to 1949, by a group of friends and former students. (1950)

The Elizabeth P. Taylor Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from Elizabeth P. Taylor ’21. (1960)

The Marion B. Tinaglia Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from John J. Tinaglia in memory of his wife, Edith Marion Brunt Tinaglia ’45. (1983)

The Ethel Vick Wallace Townsend Memorial Fund was established by Elbert S. Townsend in memory of his wife, Ethel Vick Wallace Townsend, A.B. 1908. The income from this Fund, held by the Buffalo Foundation, is to be used for undergraduate scholarships. (1967)

The Kate Wendell Townsend Memorial Scholarship was established by a bequest from Katharine W. Sisson ’20 in memory of her mother. The income is to be awarded annually to an undergraduate, preferably from New England, who has made a definite contribution to the life of the College in some way besides scholastic attainment. (1978)

The Hope Wearn Troxell Memorial Scholarship was established by the Bryn Mawr Club of Southern California in memory of Hope Wearn Troxell ’46. The income from this Fund is to be used for undergraduate scholarships with preference to be given to students from Southern California. (1998)

The Ruth Peckham Tubby Scholarship Fund was established by Ruth Peckham Tubby ’24 and her mother, Mary P. Tubby, for undergraduate scholarships. This Fund gives preference to the daughters of members of the Armed Forces of the United States of America, whether active or retired. (1997)

The Florence Green Turner Scholarship Fund was established by Florence Green Turner ’26 for scholarship support for needy students. (1991)

The Anne Hawks Vaux Scholarship Fund was founded in her memory by her husband, George Vaux, and added to by some of her friends. The income is to be awarded annually to a student in need of financial aid. (1979)

The Elizabeth Gray Vining Scholarship Fund was established by gifts from over 100 alumnae and friends of the College in Japan in honor of Elizabeth Vining ’23, former tutor to the Crown Prince. The purpose of this Fund is to support Bryn Mawr alumnae, graduate students or faculty members who desire to do academic research in Japan or to have direct contact with Japanese culture. (1973)

The Mildred and Carl Otto von Kienbusch Fund was established by bequest of C. Otto von Kienbusch. (1976)

The Mildred Clarke Pressinger von Kienbusch Fund was established by C. Otto von Kienbusch in memory of his wife, Mildred Clarke Pressinger von Kienbusch, Class of 1909. (1968)

The Mary E. G. Waddell Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from the estate of Mary E. G. Waddell. The income from this Fund is to be used for scholarships for undergraduates and graduate students interested in the study of mathematics who are daughters of American citizens of Canadian descent. (1972)

The Julia Ward Scholarship Fund was established by a gift for a scholarship in memory of Julia Ward ’23 by one of her friends and by additional gifts from others. The income is to be used for undergraduate scholarships. (1963)

The Eliza Jane Watson Scholarship Fund was established by gifts from the John Jay and Eliza Jane Watson Foundation. The income from this Fund is to be used to assist one or more students to meet the cost of tuition. (1964)

The Elizabeth Wilson White Memorial Scholarship was founded in memory of Elizabeth Wilson White by a gift from Thomas Raeburn White. It is awarded annually by the president. (1923)

The Susan Opstad White ’58 Scholarship Fund was established by Mrs. Raymond Opstad in honor of her daughter, Susan Opstad White ’58. The Scholarship is awarded annually to a deserving student in need of financial help. (1987)

The Thomas Raeburn White Scholarships were established by Amos and Dorothy Peaslee in honor of Thomas Raeburn White, trustee of the College from 1907 until his death in 1959, counsel to the College throughout these years, and president of the trustees from 1956 to 1959. The income from the fund is to be used for prizes to undergraduate students who plan to study foreign languages abroad during the summer under the auspices of an approved program. (1964)

The Ruth Whittredge ’25 Scholarship Fund was established by Ruth Whittredge ’25 to provide financial aid to students, with preference given to graduate students. (1986)

The Anita McCarter Wilbur Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Anita McCarter Wilbur ’43, A.B. ’83 for scholarship support. (1996)

The Mary R. G. Williams Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Mary R. G. Williams. The income is used for emergency grants to women who are paying their way through college. (1958)

The Mary Peabody Williamson Scholarship was founded by bequest of Mary Peabody Williamson, A.B. 1903. (1939)

The Rebecca Winsor Evans and Ellen Winsor Memorial Scholarship Funds were established by a bequest of Rebecca Winsor Evans and Ellen Winsor for resident African-American students. (1959)

The Marion H. Curtin Winsor Memorial Scholarship was established by a bequest of Mary Winsor in memory of her mother. The income on this fund is to be awarded to a resident African-American student. (1959)

The Mary Winsor Scholarship in Archaeology was established by a bequest under the will of Mary Winsor. (1959)

The Allegra Woodworth ’25 Scholarship Fund was established by Mary Katharine Woodworth ’24 in memory of her sister. A bequest from Mary Woodworth increased the size of the Fund and expanded its purpose in 1989. The Scholarship is to be awarded annually to a student with a compelling interest in history and world affairs, history of art, or English literature. (1990)

The Mary K. Woodworth ’24 and Allegra Woodworth ’25 Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest of Mary Katharine Woodworth ’24. The scholarship is awarded annually to a student with a compelling interest in history and world affairs, history of art, or English literature. (1989)

The Gertrude Miller Wright Scholarships were established under the will of Dorothy M. Wright ’31 for needy students of Bryn Mawr College. (1972)

The Lila M. Wright Memorial Scholarship was founded in her memory by gifts from the alumnae of Miss Wright’s School of Bryn Mawr. (1934)

The Margaret W. Wright and S. Eric Wright Scholarship Fund was established by a bequest from the estate of Margaret White Wright ’43. The Fund provides financial aid to needy students of Quaker lineage. (1985)

The Georgie W. Yeatman Scholarship was founded by bequest under the will of Georgie W. Yeatman of Philadelphia. (1941)

back to top

Scholarships for International Students

The Frances Porcher Bowles Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by donations from various contributors in memory of Frances Porcher Bowles ’36. The income is used for scholarship aid to foreign students. (1985)

The Bryn Mawr/Africa Exchange Fund is an anonymous donation given to support scholarship aid to African students in the undergraduate College or graduate school of Bryn Mawr, for study and research in Africa by Bryn Mawr faculty and students, for lectures or lectureships at Bryn Mawr by visiting African scholars, statesmen, and artists, and for library and teaching materials for African studies at Bryn Mawr. (1973)

The Bryn Mawr Canadian Scholarship is raised and awarded each year by Bryn Mawr alumnae living in Canada. The Scholarship, varying in amount, is awarded to a Canadian student entering either the undergraduate College or graduate school. (1965)

The Chinese Scholarship comes, in part, from the annual income of a fund established by a group of alumnae and friends of the College in order to meet all or part of the expenses of a Chinese student during her four undergraduate years at Bryn Mawr College. (1978)

The Lois Sherman Chope Scholarship Fund was established by Lois Sherman Chope ’49 with a gift made through the Chope Foundation. The purpose of the Fund is to provide undergraduate scholarship support for international students. (1992)

The Elizabeth Dodge Clarke Scholarship Fund was established by the Cleveland H. Dodge Foundation for support of international students. (1984)

The Barbara Cooley McNamee Dudley Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from Robin Krivanek, sister of Barbara Cooley McNamee Dudley ’42, for financial aid to undergraduate and graduate students from foreign countries. (1983)

The Marguerite N. Farley Scholarships for foreign students were established by bequest of Marguerite N. Farley. The income from the fund is used for scholarships for foreign graduate and undergraduate students covering part or all of their expenses for tuition and residence. (1956)

The Susan Grimes Walker Fitzgerald Fund was established by a gift from Susan Fitzgerald ’29 in honor of her mother, Susan Grimes Walker Fitzgerald, Class of 1893. It is to be used for foreign graduate and undergraduate students studying at Bryn Mawr or for Bryn Mawr students doing research abroad in the summer or during the academic year. (1975)

The Margaret Y. Kent Scholarship Fund was established by bequest of Margaret Y. Kent, A.B. 1908. It is to be used to provide scholarship assistance to foreign students. (1976)

The Lora Tong Lee Memorial Scholarship is awarded annually by the Lee Foundation, Singapore, to a Chinese student for tuition, room and board, in memory of Lora Tong Lee, M.A. ’44. (1975)

The Middle East Scholarship Fund was established by a gift from Eliza Cope Harrison ’58. The purpose of the Fund is to enable the College “to make scholarship awards to able students from a number of Middle Eastern Countries.” (1975)

The Mrs. Wistar Morris Japanese Scholarship was established when the Japanese Scholarship Committee of Philadelphia, founded in 1893, turned over its assets to Bryn Mawr College. The income from this fund is to be used for scholarships for Japanese women. (1978)

The Special Trustee’s Scholarship is awarded every four years to a foreign student. It carries free tuition and is tenable for four years. The Scholarship for students from foreign countries was first offered by the trustees in 1940.

The Harris and Clare Wofford International Fund is an endowed fund, the income only to be used to support the College’s international activities, with emphasis on providing scholarships for international students at Bryn Mawr. (1978)

back to top

Prizes and Academic Awards

The following awards, fellowships, scholarships and prizes are awarded by the faculty and are given solely on the basis of academic distinction and achievement.

The Academy of American Poets Prize, awarded in memory of Marie Bullock, the Academy’s founder and president, is given each year to the student who submits to the Department of English the best poem or group of poems. (1957)

The Seymour Adelman Book Collector’s Award is given each year to a student for a prize-winning collection on any subject, single author or group of authors, and may include manuscripts and graphics. (1980)

The Seymour Adelman Poetry Award was established by Daniel and Joanna Semel Rose, Class of 1952, to provide an award in honor of Seymour Adelman. The award is designed to stimulate further interest in poetry at Bryn Mawr. Any member of the Bryn Mawr community — undergraduate or graduate student, staff or faculty member — is eligible for consideration. The grant may be awarded to fund research in the history or analysis of a poet or poem, to encourage the study of poetry in interdisciplinary contexts, to support the writing of poetry or to recognize a particularly important piece of poetic writing. (1985)

The Horace Alwyne Prize was established by the Friends of Music of Bryn Mawr College in honor of Horace Alwyne, Professor Emeritus of Music. The award is presented annually to the student who has contributed the most to the musical life of the College. (1970)

The Areté Fellowship Fund was established by Doreen Canaday Spitzer ’31. The fund supports graduate students in the Departments of Greek, Latin and Classical Studies, History of Art, and Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology. (2003)

The Bain-Swiggett Poetry Prize was established by a gift of Mr. and Mrs. Glen Levin Swiggett. This prize is to be awarded by a committee of the faculty on the basis of the work submitted. (1958)

The Berle Memorial Prize Fund in German Literature was established by Lillian Berle Dare in memory of her parents, Adam and Katharina Berle. The prize is awarded annually to an undergraduate for excellence in German literature. Preference is given to a senior who is majoring in German and who does not come from a German background. (1975)

The Bolton Prize was established by the Bolton Foundation as an award for students majoring in the growth and structure of cities. (1985)

The Bryn Mawr European Fellowship has been awarded each year since the first class graduated in 1889. It is given for merit to a member of the graduating class, to be applied toward the expenses of one year’s study at a foreign university. The European Fellowship continues to be funded by a bequest from Elizabeth S. Shippen.

The Commonwealth Africa Scholarship was established by a grant from the Thorncroft Fund Inc. at the request of Helen and Geoffrey de Freitas. The scholarship is used to send a graduate to a university or college in Commonwealth Africa, to teach or to study, with a view to contributing to mutual understanding and the furtherance of scholarship. In 1994, the description of the scholarship was changed to include support for current undergraduates. (1965)

The Hester Ann Corner Prize for distinction in literature was established in memory of Hester Ann Corner, Class of 1942, by gifts from her family, classmates and friends. The award is made to a junior or senior on the recommendation of a committee composed of the chairs of the Departments of English and of Classical and Modern Foreign Languages. (1950)

The Katherine Fullerton Gerould Memorial Prize was founded by a gift from a group of alumnae, many of whom were students of Mrs. Gerould when she taught at Bryn Mawr from 1901 to 1910. It is awarded to a student who shows evidence of creative ability in the fields of informal essay, short story and longer narrative or verse. (1946)

The Elizabeth Duane Gillespie Fund for Scholarships in American History was founded by a gift from the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in memory of Elizabeth Duane Gillespie. Two prizes are awarded annually on nomination by the Department of History, one to a member of the sophomore or junior class for work of distinction in American history, a second to a senior doing advanced work in American history for an essay written in connection with that work. The income from this fund has been supplemented since 1955 by annual gifts from the society. (1903)

The Maria L. Eastman Brooke Hall Memorial Scholarship was founded in memory of Maria L. Eastman, principal of Brooke Hall School for Girls, Media, Pennsylvania, by gifts from the alumnae and former pupils of the school. It is awarded annually to the member of the junior class with the highest general average and is held during the senior year. Transfer students who enter Bryn Mawr as members of the junior class are not eligible for this award. (1901)

The Charles S. Hinchman Memorial Scholarship was founded in the memory of the late Charles S. Hinchman of Philadelphia by a gift made by his family. It is awarded annually to a member of the junior class for work of special excellence in her major subject(s) and is held during the senior year. (1921)

The Sarah Stifler Jesup Fund was established in memory of Sarah Stifler Jesup, Class of 1956, by gifts from New York alumnae, as well as family and friends. The income is to be awarded annually to one or more undergraduate students to further a special interest, project or career goal during term time or vacation. (1978)

The Pauline Jones Prize was established by friends, students and colleagues of Pauline Jones, Class of 1935. The prize is awarded to the student writing the best essay in French, preferably on poetry. (1985)

The Anna Lerah Keys Memorial Prize was established by friends and relatives in memory of Anna Lerah Keys, Class of 1979. The prize is awarded to an undergraduate majoring in classical and Near Eastern archaeology. (1984)

The Sheelah Kilroy Memorial Scholarship in English was founded in memory of their daughter Sheelah by Dr. and Mrs. Phillip Kilroy. This prize is awarded annually on the recommendation of the Department of English to a student for excellence of work in an English course. (1919)

The Richmond Lattimore Prize for Poetic Translation was established in honor of Richmond Lattimore, professor of Greek at Bryn Mawr and distinguished translator of poetry. The prize is awarded for the best poetic translation submitted to a committee composed of the chairs of the departments of classical and modern languages. (1984)

The Helen Taft Manning Essay Prize in History was established in honor of Helen Taft Manning ’15, in the year of her retirement, by her class. The prize is awarded to a senior in the Department of History for work of special excellence in the field. (1957)

The McPherson Fund for Excellence was established through the generous response of alumnae/i, friends, and faculty and staff members of the College to an appeal issued in the fall of 1996. The fund honors the achievements of President Emeritus Mary Patterson McPherson. Three graduating seniors are named McPherson Fellows in recognition of their academic distinction and community service accomplishments. The fund provides support for an internship or other special project.

The Nadia Anne Mirel Memorial Fund was established by the family and friends of Nadia Anne Mirel ’85. The fund supports the research or travel of students undertaking imaginative projects in the following areas: children’s educational television, and educational film and video. (1986)

The Martha Barber Montgomery Fund was established by Martha Barber Montgomery ’49, her family and friends to enable students majoring in the humanities, with preference to those studying philosophy and/or history, to undertake special projects. The fund may be used, for example, to support student research and travel needs, or an internship in a nonprofit or research setting. (1993)

The Elinor Nahm Prizes in Italian are awarded for excellence in the study of Italian at the introductory, intermediate and advanced levels. (1991)

The Elinor Nahm Prizes in Russian are awarded for excellence in the study of Russian language and linguistics and of Russian literature and culture. (1991)

The Milton C. Nahm Prize in Philosophy is awarded to the senior philosophy major whose thesis is judged most outstanding. (1991)

The Elisabeth Packard Art and Archaeology Internship Fund was established by Elisabeth Packard ’29 to provide stipend and travel support to enable students majoring in history of art or classical and Near Eastern archaeology to hold museum internships, conduct research or participate in archaeological digs. (1993)

The Alexandra Peschka Prize was established in memory of Alexandra Peschka ’64 by gifts from her family and friends. The prize is awarded annually to a member of the first-year or sophomore class and writer of the best piece of imaginative writing in prose. The award is made by a committee of the Department of English, which consults the terms stated in the deed of gift. (1969)

The Jeanne Quistgaard Memorial Prize was given by the Class of 1938 in memory of their classmate, Jeanne Quistgaard. The income from this fund may be awarded annually to a student in economics. (1938)

The Laura Estabrook Romine ’39 Fellowship in Economics was established by a gift from David E. Romine, to fulfill the wish of his late brother, John Ransel Romine III, to establish a fund in honor of their mother, Laura Estabrook Romine ’39. The fellowship is given annually to a graduating senior or alumna, regardless of undergraduate major, who has received admission to a graduate program in economics. (1996)

The Barbara Rubin Award Fund was established by the Amicus Foundation in memory of Barbara Rubin ’47. The fund provides summer support for students undertaking internships in nonprofit or research settings appropriate to their career goals, or study abroad. (1989)

The Gail Ann Schweiter Prize Fund was established in memory of Gail Ann Schweiter ’79 by her family. The prize is to be awarded to a science or mathematics major in her junior or senior year who has shown excellence both in her major field and in musical performance. (1993)

The Charlotte Angas Scott Prize in Mathematics is awarded annually to an undergraduate on the recommendation of the Department of Mathematics. It was established by an anonymous gift in memory of Charlotte Angas Scott, professor of mathematics and a member of the faculty of Bryn Mawr College from 1885 to 1924. (1960)

The Elizabeth S. Shippen Scholarship in Foreign Language was founded under the will of Elizabeth S. Shippen of Philadelphia. It is awarded to a junior whose major subject is French, German, Greek, Italian, Latin, Russian or Spanish for excellence in the study of foreign languages. (1915)

The Elizabeth S. Shippen Scholarship in Science was founded under the will of Elizabeth S. Shippen of Philadelphia and is awarded to a junior whose major subject is biology, chemistry, geology or physics for excellence in the study of sciences. (1915)

The Gertrude Slaughter Fellowship was established by a bequest of Gertrude Taylor Slaughter, Class of 1893. The fellowship is to be awarded to a member of the graduating class for excellence in scholarship to be used for a year’s study in the United States or abroad. (1964)

The Ariadne Solter Fund was established in memory of Ariadne Solter ’91 by gifts from family and friends to provide an annual award to a Bryn Mawr or Haverford under- graduate working on a project concerning development in a third world country or the United States. (1989)

The Katherine Stains Prize Fund in Classical Literature was established by Katherine Stains in memory of her parents, Arthur and Katheryn Stains, and in honor of two excellent 20th-century scholars of classical literature, Richmond Lattimore and Moses Hadas. The income from the fund is to be awarded annually as a prize to an undergraduate student for excellence in Greek literature, either in the original or in translation. (1969)

The M. Carey Thomas Essay Prize is awarded annually to a member of the senior class for distinction in writing. The award is made by the Department of English for either creative or critical writing. It was established in memory of Miss Thomas by her niece, Millicent Carey McIntosh ’20. (1943)

The Emma Osborn Thompson Prize in Geology was established by a bequest of Emma Osborn Thompson, A.B. 1904. From the income of the bequest, a prize is to be awarded from time to time to a student in geology. (1963)

The Laura van Straaten Fund was established by Thomas van Straaten and his daughter, Laura van Straaten ’90, in honor of Laura’s graduation. The fund supports a summer internship for a student working to advance the causes of civil rights, women’s rights or reproductive rights. (1990)

The Esther Walker Award was founded by a bequest from William John Walker in memory of his sister, Esther Walker ’10. It may be given annually to a member of the senior class who, in the judgment of the faculty, has displayed the greatest proficiency in the study of living conditions of northern African Americans. (1940)

The Anna Pell Wheeler Prize in Mathematics is awarded annually to an undergraduate on the recommendation of the Department of Mathematics. It was established by an anonymous gift in honor of Anna Pell Wheeler, professor emeritus of mathematics and a member of the faculty of Bryn Mawr College from 1918 until her death in 1966. (1960)

The Thomas Raeburn White Scholarships were established by Amos and Dorothy Peaslee in honor of Thomas Raeburn White, trustee of the College from 1907 until his death in 1959, counsel to the College throughout these years, and president of the trustees from 1956 to 1959. The income from the fund is to be used for prizes to undergraduate students who plan to study foreign languages abroad during the summer under the auspices of an approved program. (1964)

The Anne Kirschbaum Winkelman Prize, established by the children of Anne Kirschbaum Winkelman ’48, is awarded annually to the student judged to have submitted the most outstanding short story. (1987)

back to top

Scholarships for Medical Study

The following scholarships may be awarded to seniors intending to study medicine, after their acceptance by a medical school, or to graduates of Bryn Mawr intending or continuing to pursue a medical education. Applications for the scholarship should be made to the premedical adviser before March 15 preceding the academic year in which the scholarship is to be held. Applications for renewal of scholarships must be accompanied by letters of recommendation from instructors in the medical school.

The Linda B. Lange Fund was founded by bequest of $30,000 under the will of Linda B. Lange, A.B. 1903. The income from this fund provides the Anna Howard Shaw Scholarship in Medicine and Public Health, awarded on recommendation of the president and faculty to a member of the graduating class or a graduate of the College for the pursuit, during an uninterrupted succession of years, of studies leading to the degrees of M.D. and Doctor of Public Health. The award may be continued until the degrees are obtained. (1948)

The Hannah E. Longshore Memorial Medical Scholarship was founded by Mrs. Rudolf Blankenburg in memory of her mother by a gift of $10,000. The Scholarship is awarded by a committee of the faculty to a student who has been accepted by a medical school. It may be renewed for each year of medical study. (1921)

The Jane V. Myers Medical Scholarship Fund of $10,000 was established by Mrs. Rudolf Blankenburg in memory of her aunt. The scholarship is awarded by a committee of the faculty to a student who has been accepted by a medical school. It may be renewed for each year of medical study. (1921)

The Harriet Judd Sartain Memorial Scholarship Fund was founded by bequest of $21,033 under the will of Paul J. Sartain. The income from the fund is to establish a scholarship which is awarded to a member of the graduating class who, in the judgment of the faculty, needs and is deserving of assistance for the study of medicine. The scholarship may be continued for the duration of her medical course. (1948)

back to top

 
     
 
Bryn Mawr College · 101 North Merion Ave · Bryn Mawr · PA · 19010-2899 · Tel 610-526-5000