Bryn Mawr

2007-08 Catalog Home

Academic Calendars
2007-08 and 2008-09

About the College

Contact and Web Site Information

Student Responsibilities and Rights

The Academic Program

Academic Opportunities

Academic Awards and Prizes

Libraries and Educational Resources

Student Life


Fees and Financial Aid

Scholarship Funds

Loan Funds

Geographical Distribution of Students

Board of Trustees


Administration and Alumnae Association

Areas of Study

Africana Studies
Arts Program
Athletics and Physical Education
Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology
Comparative Literature
Computer Science
East Asian Studies
Environmental Studies
Film Studies
Fine Arts
French and French Studies
Gender and Sexuality
General Studies
German and German Studies
Greek, Latin and Classical Studies
Growth and Structure of Cities
Hebrew and Judaic Studies
Hispanic and Hispanic-American Studies
History of Art
International Studies
Neural and Behavioral Sciences
Peace and Conflict Studies
Political Science
Romance Languages



Search Bryn Mawr
 Admissions Academics Campus Life News and Events Visit Find

Fees and Financial Aid

Schedule of Payments | Refund Policy | Financial Aid

The tuition fee in 2007-08 for all undergraduate students, resident and nonresident, is $33,840 a year.

Summary of Fees and Expenses for 2007-08

Tuition $33,840
Residence (room and board) $11,024
College fee $570
Self-Government Association fee $240

Other Fees

Laboratory fee (per lab per semester) $40
Continuing enrollment fee (per semester) $290

Faced with rising costs affecting all parts of higher education, the College has had to raise tuition annually in recent years. Further increases may be expected.

Schedule of Payments

By registering for courses, students accept responsibility for the charges of the entire academic year, regardless of the method of payment. The College bills for each semester separately. The bill for the fall semester is sent in late June and is due August 1. The bill for the spring semester is sent in late November and is due January 2.

As a convenience to parents and students, the College currently offers a payment plan administered by an outside organization that enables monthly payment of all or part of annual fees in installments without interest charges. Payments for the plan commence prior to the beginning of the academic year. Information about the payment plan is available from the Comptroller's Office.

No student is permitted to attend classes or enter residence until payment of the College charges has been made each semester. No student may register at the beginning of a semester, graduate, receive a transcript or participate in room draw until all accounts are paid, including the activities fee assessed by the student Self-Government Association officers. This fee covers class and hall dues and support for student organizations and clubs. All resident students are required to participate in the College meal plan.

A fee of $290 per semester will be charged to all undergraduates who are studying at another institution during the academic year and who will transfer the credits earned to Bryn Mawr College, with the exception of students in the Junior Year Abroad Program.

Students are permitted to reserve a room during the spring semester for the succeeding academic year, prior to payment of room and board fees, if they intend to be in residence during that year. Those students who have reserved a room but decide, after June 15, to withdraw from the College or take a leave of absence are charged a fee of $500. This charge is billed to the student's account.

All entering students are required to make a deposit of $200. This deposit is applied to the student's tuition account.

back to top

Refund Policy

Students will be refunded 100% of their previously paid tuition, room and board, and fees if the Registrar receives written notice that the student has withdrawn from the College or begun a leave of absence before the first day of classes.

For a student withdrawing from the College or embarking on a Medical or Psychological Leave of Absence on or after the first day of classes, refunds of tuition, room and board occur according to the following schedule, and Fall and Spring breaks are not included in the calculation of refund weeks. Note that Student Government Association dues are non-refundable.

  • Week 1 95%
  • Week 2 90%
  • Week 3 85%
  • Week 4 80%
  • Week 5 75%
  • Week 6 70%
  • Week 7 65%
  • Week 8 60%

The date the student began the withdrawal process by contacting the Dean's Office orally or in writing is considered the date of withdrawal for College refunds and for the return of Title IV funds. When a student continues to attend classes or other academically related activity after beginning the withdrawal process, the College may choose to use the student's last date of documented attendance at an academically related activity as the date of withdrawal. For a student who leaves the College without notifying the College of her intent to withdraw, the College normally uses the student's last date of documented attendance at an academically related activity as the date of withdrawal. If that date cannot be ascertained, the College will consider the midpoint of the enrollment period to be the date the student withdrew.

Treatment of Title IV Federal Aid When a Student Withdraws

This policy applies to all students receiving Federal Pell Grants, Federal Stafford Loans, Federal PLUS Loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Academic Competitive Grants, Federal SMART Grants, and in some cases, state grant aid.

When a recipient of Title IV Federal grant or loan assistance withdraws or takes a leave of absence from the College during the semester, the College must determine the amount of federal aid that the student may retain as of the withdrawal date per a federal formula. Any federal aid that the student is eligible to receive, but which has not been disbursed, will be offered to the student as a post-withdrawal disbursement. Any federal aid the student is not eligible to receive according to the federal refund policy will be returned to the federal government.

The amount of assistance the student has earned is based on the percentage of the semester completed. The College calculates the percentage by dividing the total number of calendar days in the semester into the number of calendar days completed as of the withdrawal date. Fall and spring breaks are excluded as periods of nonattendance in the enrollment period. Once the student has completed more than 60% of the semester, she has earned all of the Title IV assistance scheduled for that period.

The amount of Title IV assistance not earned is calculated by determining the percentage of assistance earned and applying it to the total amount of grant and loan assistance that was disbursed. The amount the school must return is the lesser of:

  • the unearned amount of Title IV assistance or
  • the institutional charges incurred for the period of enrollment multiplied by the unearned percentage.

The order of return of Title IV funds is:

  • Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans
  • Subsidized Federal Stafford Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Federal PLUS Loans (Graduate)
  • Federal PLUS Loans (Parents)
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Academic Competitive Grants
  • Federal SMART Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
  • Other Title IV assistance

If the College has issued a refund of Title IV funds in excess of the amount the student has earned prior to the withdrawal date, the student is responsible for repaying the funds. Any amount of loan funds that the student (or the parent for a PLUS Loan) has not earned must be repaid in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is the student (or parent for a PLUS Loan) must make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time. Any amount of unearned grant funds is called an overpayment. The amount of a grant overpayment that the student must repay is half of the unearned amount. The student must make arrangements with the College or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds.

The calculation of Title IV Funds earned by the student has no relationship to the students incurred charges. Therefore, the student may still owe funds to the College to cover unpaid institutional charges.

A leave of absence is treated as a withdrawal and a return of Title IV funds may be calculated. A student may take a leave of absence from school for not more than a total of 180 days in any 12-month period.

The calculation of the Title IV refund will be done by the Financial Aid Office in consultation with the Comptroller's Office.

Treatment of College (Institutional) Grants and Loans When a Student Withdraws

The amount of College grant and loan funds a student will retain is based on the percentage of the period of enrollment completed. College funds include any grant or loan assistance funded from institutional sources such as Bryn Mawr Grant, Swope Loan, etc.

back to top

Financial Aid

For general information about financial aid and how to apply for financial aid, consult the Financial Aid Office Web site at Detailed information about the financial aid application and renewal process, types of aid available and regulations governing the disbursement of funds from grant and loan programs, can be found in the Financial Aid Handbook, which is updated and published annually, and posted to our Web site.

The education of all students is subsidized by the College because their tuition and fees cover only part of the costs of instruction. To those students well qualified for education in the liberal arts and sciences but unable to meet the College fees, Bryn Mawr is able to offer further financial aid. Alumnae and friends of the College have built up endowments for scholarships; annual gifts from alumnae and other donors add to the amounts available each year. It is now possible to provide aid for more than 60 percent of the undergraduate students in the College. The value of the grants ranges from $2,000 to $40,000.

Initial requests for financial aid are reviewed by the Financial Aid Office and are judged on the basis of the student and her family's financial situation. Students must reapply each year. Eligibility is reestablished annually, assuming the student has maintained satisfactory progress toward her degree. Bryn Mawr College subscribes to the principle that the amount of aid granted a student should be based upon documented financial eligibility. All applicants must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. The CSS Online PROFILE Application is required for all undergraduate students except those in the Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program, and those undergraduates who wish to be considered only for federal loans. When the total amount of aid needed has been determined, awards are made in the form of grants, loans and jobs.

In addition to the funds made available through College resources, Bryn Mawr participates in the following Federal Student Assistance Programs:

  • The Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program: Low interest loans with variable rates for undergraduate and graduate students more commonly known as Stafford Loans and PLUS Loans for parents of dependent undergraduates.
  • The Federal Perkins Loan: A low-interest (5%) federal loan for both undergraduate and graduate students with federal need.
  • The Federal Work-Study Program: This program provides funds for campus jobs for students who meet the federal eligibility requirements.
  • The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): A federal grant for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to students who receive Federal Pell Grants.
  • The Federal Pell Grant: A federal grant awarded to undergraduates who demonstrate financial need.
  • Academic Competitiveness Grant: A federal grant awarded for the first and second year of undergraduate study to Pell eligible students who have successfully completed a rigorous high school program.
  • National Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent Grant or National Smart Grant: A Federal grant awarded for the third and fourth year of undergraduate study to Pell eligible students who are majoring in specific federally defined fields of study.

More information about the Federal Loan Programs can be found here.

Instructions to apply for financial aid are included in the Admissions Prospectus and on the Financial Aid Office webpage at Each candidate must file the CSS PROFILE Online Application (college code number 2049) and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (college I.D. number 003237). If an applicant's parents are divorced, separated or were never married, the noncustodial parent must complete the CSS Noncustodial Parent Statement available from the Bryn Mawr website. All financial aid applicants are required to submit completed, signed copies of their parents' and their own federal tax returns with all schedules and attachments, both personal and business, along with all W2 forms. Students and parents who are not required to file a federal income tax return must submit a Bryn Mawr Non-Tax-Filer Statement, which is available on the Financial Aid web page or from the Financial Aid Office.

To ensure full consideration of aid, applicants must file the PROFILE, FAFSA, and if applicable, the CSS Noncustodial Parent Statement no later than February 5 of the student's final year in high school. Early Decision applicants must submit the CSS PROFILE and CSS Noncustodial Parent Statement by November 15 for the fall Early Decision Plan, and by January 1 for the winter Early Decision Plan. Applications for financial aid for transfer students are due no later than March 1. Federal tax returns or Bryn Mawr Non-Tax-Filer Statements should be submitted directly to the Financial Aid Office as soon as they become available, but no later than March 1.

The CSS PROFILE Online Application (PROFILE) should be completed at least one week prior to the Bryn Mawr deadline. The student must first register for her customized PROFILE at, and then complete the Online PROFILE. CSS does not offer a paper version of the PROFILE.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should be filed as soon as possible to meet the deadline, but not before January 1. Students and their families are encouraged to complete the FAFSA online to expedite processing time. Parents and students can sign the FAFSA electronically by first obtaining a Personal Identification Number (PIN) at Alternatively, paper applications are available from high school guidance offices, local libraries or by calling 1-800-433-3243. Processing can take from four to six weeks.

Only applicants who apply for aid as freshmen will be considered for Bryn Mawr Grant assistance during any of their subsequent years of enrollment at the College. To be considered for aid as a freshman, the applicant's response to the FA Intent question on the Common Application must be accurate. Applicants may apply and will be considered for federal aid, including the Federal Stafford Loan Program, every year regardless of applying for aid as a freshman.

Returning students must reapply for financial aid each year. All applications and documents must be received at the Financial Aid Office by April 15. Eligibility is reestablished annually and depends on the student's maintaining satisfactory progress toward the degree and on her continued demonstrated need for assistance. The financial aid award may change each year as a result of annual changes in family circumstances, such as the number of family members in college or the family's adjusted gross income. Self-help expectations - that is, the amount earned through campus employment and the amount of the federal loan a student is expected to borrow - increase each year.

The Renewal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can be completed online at Alternatively, a paper version of the FAFSA is available from the Financial Aid Office, a local library or by calling 1-800-433-3243. The Bryn Mawr federal school code is 003237.

The CSS Online PROFILE Application (PROFILE) must be completed online at The Bryn Mawr College code number is 2049.

The CSS Noncustodial Parent Statement is available on the Bryn Mawr Financial Aid web page or from the Financial Aid Office.

All continuing students and their parents must submit signed copies of their and their parents' federal income tax returns, including all schedules and attachments, both business and personal, along with all W2 forms to the Financial Aid Office. Students and parents who are not required to file a federal income tax return must submit a Bryn Mawr Non-Tax-Filer Statement, which is available on the Financial Aid web page or from the Financial Aid Office.

For a list of scholarship funds and prizes that support the awards made, see the scholarship funds page. These funds are used to enhance Bryn Mawr's need-based financial aid program. They are not awarded separately. For information on loan funds, see the loan funds page.

back to top

Bryn Mawr College · 101 North Merion Ave · Bryn Mawr · PA · 19010-2899 · Tel 610-526-5000