2008-2009 Undergraduate Catalog

2008-2009 Catalog

Financial Aid

For general information about financial aid and how to apply for financial aid, consult the Financial Aid Office Web site at http://www.brynmawr.edu/financialaid. Detailed information about the financial aid application and renewal process, types of aid available and regulations governing the disbursement of funds from grant and loan programs, can be found in the Financial Aid Handbook, which is updated and published annually, and posted to our Web site.

The education of all students is subsidized by the College because their tuition and fees cover only part of the costs of instruction. To those students well qualified for education in the liberal arts and sciences but unable to meet the College fees, Bryn Mawr is able to offer further financial aid. Alumnae and friends of the College have built up endowments for scholarships; annual gifts from alumnae and other donors add to the amounts available each year. It is now possible to provide aid for more than 60 percent of the undergraduate students in the College. The value of the grants ranges from $2,000 to $40,000.

Initial requests for financial aid are reviewed by the Financial Aid Office and are judged on the basis of the student and her family's financial situation. Students must reapply each year. Eligibility is reestablished annually, assuming the student has maintained satisfactory progress toward her degree. Bryn Mawr College subscribes to the principle that the amount of aid granted a student should be based upon documented financial eligibility. All applicants must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. The CSS Online PROFILE Application is required for all undergraduate students except those in the Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program, and those undergraduates who wish to be considered only for federal loans. When the total amount of aid needed has been determined, awards are made in the form of grants, loans and jobs.

In addition to the funds made available through College resources, Bryn Mawr participates in the following Federal Student Assistance Programs:

  • The Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program: Low interest loans with variable rates for undergraduate and graduate students more commonly known as Stafford Loans and PLUS Loans for parents of dependent undergraduates.
  • The Federal Perkins Loan: A low-interest (5%) federal loan for both undergraduate and graduate students with federal need.
  • The Federal Work-Study Program: This program provides funds for campus jobs for students who meet the federal eligibility requirements.
  • The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): A federal grant for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to students who receive Federal Pell Grants.
  • The Federal Pell Grant: A federal grant awarded to undergraduates who demonstrate financial need.
  • Academic Competitiveness Grant: A federal grant awarded for the first and second year of undergraduate study to Pell eligible students who have successfully completed a rigorous high school program.
  • National Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent Grant or National Smart Grant: A Federal grant awarded for the third and fourth year of undergraduate study to Pell eligible students who are majoring in specific federally defined fields of study.

Instructions to apply for financial aid are included in the Admissions Prospectus and on the Financial Aid Office webpage at http://www.brynmawr.edu/financialaid/fa_apply_aid.shtml. Each candidate must file the CSS PROFILE Online Application (college code number 2049) and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (college I.D. number 003237). If an applicant's parents are divorced, separated or were never married, the noncustodial parent must complete the CSS Noncustodial Parent Statement available from the Bryn Mawr website. All financial aid applicants are required to submit completed, signed copies of their parents' and their own federal tax returns with all schedules and attachments, both personal and business, along with all W2 forms. Students and parents who are not required to file a federal income tax return must submit a Bryn Mawr Non-Tax-Filer Statement, which is available on the Financial Aid web page or from the Financial Aid Office.

To ensure full consideration of aid, applicants must file the PROFILE, FAFSA, and if applicable, the CSS Noncustodial Parent Statement no later than February 5 of the student's final year in high school. Early Decision applicants must submit the CSS PROFILE and CSS Noncustodial Parent Statement by November 15 for the fall Early Decision Plan, and by January 1 for the winter Early Decision Plan. Applications for financial aid for transfer students are due no later than March 1. Federal tax returns or Bryn Mawr Non-Tax-Filer Statements should be submitted directly to the Financial Aid Office as soon as they become available, but no later than March 1.

The CSS PROFILE Online Application (PROFILE) should be completed at least one week prior to the Bryn Mawr deadline. The student must first register for her customized PROFILE at www.collegeboard.com, and then complete the Online PROFILE. CSS does not offer a paper version of the PROFILE.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should be filed as soon as possible to meet the deadline, but not before January 1. Students and their families are encouraged to complete the FAFSA online www.fafsa.ed.gov to expedite processing time. Parents and students can sign the FAFSA electronically by first obtaining a Personal Identification Number (PIN) at www.pin.ed.gov. Alternatively, paper applications are available from high school guidance offices, local libraries or by calling 1-800-433-3243. Processing can take from four to six weeks.

Only applicants who apply for aid as freshmen will be considered for Bryn Mawr Grant assistance during any of their subsequent years of enrollment at the College. To be considered for aid as a freshman, the applicant's response to the FA Intent question on the Common Application must be accurate. Applicants may apply and will be considered for federal aid, including the Federal Stafford Loan Program, every year regardless of applying for aid as a freshman.

Returning students must reapply for financial aid each year. All applications and documents must be received at the Financial Aid Office by April 15. Eligibility is reestablished annually and depends on the student's maintaining satisfactory progress toward the degree and on her continued demonstrated need for assistance. The financial aid award may change each year as a result of annual changes in family circumstances, such as the number of family members in college or the family's adjusted gross income. Self-help expectations - that is, the amount earned through campus employment and the amount of the federal loan a student is expected to borrow - increase each year.

The Renewal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can be completed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Alternatively, a paper version of the FAFSA is available from the Financial Aid Office, a local library or by calling 1-800-433-3243. The Bryn Mawr federal school code is 003237.

The CSS Online PROFILE Application (PROFILE) must be completed online at www.collegeboard.org. The Bryn Mawr College code number is 2049.

The CSS Noncustodial Parent Statement is available on the Bryn Mawr Financial Aid web page or from the Financial Aid Office.

All continuing students and their parents must submit signed copies of their and their parents' federal income tax returns, including all schedules and attachments, both business and personal, along with all W2 forms to the Financial Aid Office. Students and parents who are not required to file a federal income tax return must submit a Bryn Mawr Non-Tax-Filer Statement, which is available on the Financial Aid web page or from the Financial Aid Office.

For a list of scholarship funds and prizes that support the awards made, see the scholarship funds page. These funds are used to enhance Bryn Mawr's need-based financial aid program. They are not awarded separately. For information on loan funds, see the loan funds page.

Next: Loan Funds»
Updated August 25, 2008 by Tracy Kellmer