20109-2011 Undergraduate Catalog

Career Preparation

Preparation for Careers in Architecture

Although Bryn Mawr offers no formal degree in architecture or a set pre-professional path, students who wish to pursue architecture as a career may prepare for graduate study in the United States and abroad through courses offered in the Growth and Structure of Cities Program. Students interested in architecture and urban design should pursue the studio courses (226, 228) in addition to regular introductory courses. They should also select appropriate electives in architectural history and urban design (including courses offered by the departments of Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology, East Asian Studies and History of Art) to gain a broad exposure to architecture over time as well as across cultural traditions. Affiliated courses in physics and calculus meet requirements of graduate programs in architecture; theses may also be planned to incorporate design projects. These students should consult as early as possible with Senior Lecturer Daniela Voith and the program director in the Growth and Structure of Cities Program.

Preparation for Careers in the Health Professions

The Bryn Mawr curriculum offers courses that meet the requirements for admission to professional schools in medicine, dentistry, and veterinary medicine. Each year a significant number of Bryn Mawr graduates enroll in these schools. The minimal requirements for most medical and dental schools are met by one year of English, one year of biology, one year of general chemistry, one year of organic chemistry and one year of physics; however, several medical schools and dental schools do require one additional semester of upper-level coursework in biology as well as math courses. Schools of veterinary medicine usually require upper-level coursework in biology as well as extensive experience working with a diversity of animal species. Students considering careers in one of the health professions are encouraged to discuss their plans with the undergraduate health professions adviser in Canwyll House. International students should be aware that students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents comprise less than 1% of the medical school students in the United States. International students are encouraged to contact the undergraduate health professions advisor to discuss the significant challenges faced by international students seeking admission to U. S. medical schools.
The Health Professions Advising Office publishes the Guide for First- and Second-Year Students Interested in the Health Professions. This handbook is available at the meeting for first-year students during Customs Week and at the Health Professions Advising Office in Canwyll House. More information about preparing for careers in the health professions, including the Guide for First- and Second-Year Students, is also available at the Health Professions Advising Office Web site, http://www.brynmawr.edu/healthpro.

Preparation for Careers in Law

Because a student with a strong record in any field of study can compete successfully for admission to law school, there is no prescribed program of “pre-law” courses. Students considering a career in law may explore that interest at Bryn Mawr in a variety of ways—e.g., by increasing their familiarity with U.S. history and its political process, participating in Bryn Mawr’s well established student self-government process, “shadowing” alumnae/i lawyers through the Career Development Office’s externship program, attending law career panels and refining their knowledge about law-school programs in the Pre-Law Club. Students seeking guidance about the law-school application and admission process should consult with the College’s pre-law advisor, Jennifer Beale, at the Career Development Office (www.brynmawr.edu/cdo).

Teacher Certification

Students majoring in biology, chemistry, English, French, history, Latin, mathematics, physics, political science, Spanish and a number of other fields that are typically taught in secondary school, may get certified to teach in public secondary high schools in Pennsylvania. By reciprocal arrangement, the Pennsylvania certificate is accepted by most other states as well. A student who wishes to teach should consult her dean, the Education Program adviser and the chair of her major department early in her college career so that she may make appropriate curricular plans. Students may also choose to get certified to teach after they graduate the Bryn Mawr/Haverford Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education Program. For further information, see the Education Program.