20109-2011 Undergraduate Catalog

Combined Degree Programs

Combined A.B./M.A. Degree Programs

The combined A.B./M.A. program lets the unusually well-prepared undergraduate student work toward a master’s degree while still completing her bachelor’s degree. Students in this program complete the same requirements for each degree as do students who undertake the A.B. and then the M.A. sequentially, but they are offered the unique opportunity to work toward both degrees concurrently. They are allowed to count up to two courses towards both degrees. A full description of requirements for the program and application procedures appear at http://www.brynmawr.edu/deans/exp_acad_options/comb_AB_MA_prog.shtml.

3-2 Program in Engineering and Applied Science

The College has negotiated arrangements with the California Institute of Technology whereby a student interested in engineering and recommended by Bryn Mawr may, after completing three years of work at the College, apply to transfer into the third year at Caltech to complete two full years of work there. At the end of five years she is awarded an A.B. degree by Bryn Mawr and a Bachelor of Science degree by Caltech. Programs are available in many areas of specialization.

In her three years at Bryn Mawr, the student must complete the College Seminar, quantitative, foreign language and divisional requirements, as well as a prescribed science program and the basis for a Bryn Mawr major. (Students completing the program have had majors at Bryn Mawr in Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.) Students do not register for this program in advance; rather, they complete a course of study that qualifies them for recommendation by the College for application in the spring semester of their third year at the College. Prerequisites for recommendation include completion of courses required by Bryn Mawr and a minimum of one year each of chemistry, mathematics (including multivariable calculus and differential equations) and physics. Approval of the student’s major department is necessary at the time of application and for the transfer of credit from the Caltech program to complete the major requirements at Bryn Mawr.

Caltech strongly recommends that candidates complete two years of mathematics and physics before applying and maintain a record of superior academic achievement at their home institution. For more information, consult the Caltech website at (http://admissions.caltech.edu/applying/32).

Students considering this option should consult the program liaison in the Department of Physics at the time of registration for Semester I of their first year and each semester thereafter to ensure that all requirements are being completed on a satisfactory schedule. Financial aid at Caltech is not available to non-U.S. citizens.

3-2 Program in City and Regional Planning

This arrangement with the Department of City and Regional Planning at the University of Pennsylvania allows a student to earn an A.B. degree with a major in the Growth and Structure of Cities Program at Bryn Mawr and a degree of Master of City Planning at the University of Pennsylvania in five years. While at Bryn Mawr the student must complete the College Seminar, quantitative, foreign-language, and divisional requirements and the basis of a major in the Growth and Structure of Cities Program. The student applies to the M.C.P. program at Penn in her sophomore or junior year. GRE scores will be required for the application. No courses taken prior to official acceptance into the M.C.P. program may be counted toward the master’s degree, and no more than eight courses may be double-counted toward both the A.B. and the M.C.P. after acceptance. For further information students should consult the program director early in their sophomore year.

Combined Master’s and Teacher Certification Programs at the University of Pennsylvania, Graduate School of Education (GSE)

Bryn Mawr and Haverford students interested in obtaining both the M.S.Ed. degree as well as faculty approval for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania teaching certificate may choose to submatriculate as undergraduates into the University of Pennsylvania’s Graduate School of Education’s 10-month, urban-focused Master’s Program in Elementary or Secondary Education. Students usually submatriculate at the beginning of their junior year.

Bryn Mawr and Haverford students who submatriculate may take up to two graduate-level education courses at Penn while they are undergraduates (usually during their junior or senior years) that will double count toward both their undergraduate and graduate degrees. To submatriculate into the program, students must have a GPA of a 3.0 or above and a combined GRE score of at least 1000 and must complete an application for admission.

More information about the secondary education and elementary education master’s programs are available on the GSE Web site: http://www.gse.upenn.edu/degrees_programs.