Contact Us
Bryn Mawr College
101 N. Merion Ave.
Bryn Mawr. PA 19010-2899
Phone: 610-526-5000
Fax: 610-526-6525
2013-2014 Undergraduate Catalog


Student Residences

Residence in College housing is required of all undergraduates, except those those who live off campus after having received permission to do so from the College during the annual room draw.

The College’s residence halls provide simple and comfortable living for students. Bryn Mawr expects students to respect its property and the standards on which the halls are run. More information is posted on the Residential Life website:

Thirty-nine hall advisors provide resources and advice to students living in the halls, and they work with the elected student officers to uphold the social Honor Code within the halls.

The halls are open during fall and spring breaks and Thanksgiving vacation, but the dining halls are closed. During winter vacation, special arrangements are made for international students, winter athletes and students who are taking classes at the University of Pennsylvania who wish to remain in residence. These students pay a special fee for housing and live in an assigned residence hall. The dining halls are closed during winter break.

The College will consider modifying housing assignment procedures or arrangements when necessary to provide equal access to the residence halls for students with disabilities. Any student who requires consideration should contact the Coordinator of Access Services.

The College is not responsible for loss of personal property due to fire, theft or any other cause. Students who wish to insure against these risks should do so individually or through their own family policies.

Residence halls on campus provide full living accommodations. Brecon, Denbigh, Merion, Pembroke East, Pembroke West and Radnor Halls are named for counties in Wales, recalling the tradition of the early Welsh settlers of the area in which Bryn Mawr is situated. Rockefeller Hall is named for its donor, John D. Rockefeller, and Rhoads North and South for the first president of the College, James E. Rhoads. Erdman Hall, first opened in 1965, was named in honor of Eleanor Donnelley Erdman ’21, a former member of the Board of Trustees. Batten House serves as a residence for those interested in a cooperative living environment.

The College offers a variety of living accommodations, including singles, doubles, triples, quadruples and a few suites. The College provides basic furniture, but students supply linen, bed pillows, desk lamps, rugs, mirrors and any other accessories they wish.

The physical maintenance of the halls is the responsibility of the director of Facilities Services and Housekeeping Services. At the end of the year, each student is held responsible for the condition of her room and its furnishings. Room assignments, the hall-advisor program, residential life policies, and vacation-period housing are the responsibility of the director of Residential Life.

Resident students are required to participate in the meal plan, which provides 20 meals per week. For those living at Batten House, where a kitchen is available, the meal plan is optional. Any student with medical or other extraordinary reasons for exemption from participation in the meal plan may present documentation of her special needs to the coordinator of Access Services. Ordinarily, with the help of the College dietician, Dining Services can meet such special needs. When this is not possible, written notice of exemption will be provided by the coordinator of Access Services.

Coeducational residence halls on the Bryn Mawr campus were established in 1969-70, housing students from Bryn Mawr and Haverford. When there is equal interest from students at both campuses, Bryn Mawr and Haverford offer a housing exchange so that a few students may live on the other campus for a year. As neither Bryn Mawr nor Haverford allows room retention from one year to the next, the number and kind of bi-college options change each year.

For non-resident students, locked mailboxes are available in the Campus Center. Non-resident students are liable for all undergraduate fees except those for residence in a hall. All matriculated undergraduate students are entitled to full use of all out- and in-patient health services.