Resources for Students

Transportation Reimbursement

Undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students who are engaged in direct service, activism, and/or advocaty at a site in the greater Philadelphia area are eligible for reimbursement of their transportation costs to and from their service site. Reimbursement is available to student volunteers, students enrolled in a Praxis course, participants in the Community Based Work Study program, and unpaid student interns.

Civic Engagement processes student reimbursement requests and offers 50% transportation reimbursement for individual student volunteers and unpaid interns, and 100% reimbursement for all students participating in Praxis and/or Community Based Work-Study.

Transportation Reimbursement applies to the following expenses:

Public Transportation

Remember to SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS! Forms cannot be processed if the receipts are not included.

  • Train Tickets: Train stubs do not count as receipts—please ask for a receipt when purchasing your ticket. Also, individual tickets only, NOT SEPTA PASSES, are acceptable for reimbursement.
  • Trolley and Bus Tokens: Remember to purchase your trolley and bus tokens at a SEPTA station in order to obtain a receipt for reimbursement.
  • Taxi Cabs: Civic Engagement does not reimburse the cost of taxi cabs.

Personal Vehicles

  • Mileage on a personal vehicle: Civic Engagement follows the College policy of using the standard mileage rate determined by the IRS.  Click here for the current rate.
  • Tolls: Remember to SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS for all tolls.

How do I request transportation reimbursement?

Becoming Eligible

  • To receive reimbursement you must be a current BMC undergraduate or post-baccalaureate student serving as a Praxis student, Community Based Work-Study employee, unpaid intern, or volunteer.
  • If you are an individual volunteer or unpaid intern, you will also need to provide Civic Engagement with a letter of verification from your field site.

Submitting Reimbursement Requests

  • Save ALL receipts for travel costs (except mileage).
  • Fill out a transportation reimbursement form, available using the link at the top left of this page, or in Civic Engagement, located in Dolwen on Cambrian Row. Please remember to sign your form and print all information clearly.
  • Attach all receipts to the request form and turn it in to Civic Engagement.

Collecting Reimbursement

  • The Controller’s Office will process student reimbursement requests once a month.
  • Deadlines for turning in requests for transportation reimbursement for the 2015 - 2016 academic year are printed on the reimbursement forms.
  • Reimbursement requests will be submitted to the Controller's Office on the last Monday of each month.
  • All reimbursements will be paid by direct deposit or by check and sent to students in campus mail.


Please contact Sydney Coppola at or x7320.