In January 1877 John Lambert and his wife Elizabeth N. sold a lot of ground, bound by Montgomery and Columbia streets to the north and south and Woodstock and 21st streets to the east and west, to Henry R. Shoch. Lambert Street divides the property and runs north from Columbia to Montgomery and is wrapped by alleys. Also this month, Shoch sold the property to Charles D. Colladay, who sold it to Joseph Carter Powell the following month. Powell then subdivided the property into 62 smaller lots and created mortgages for those lots. On February 12, 1877, Powell sold the land and the mortgages back to Henry R. Shoch for a total of $98,800.
Source: “Abstract of Title to Two Lots of Ground Situate in the 29th Ward of the City of Philadelphia, belonging to Henry R. Shoch.” Philadelphia, 1877.
1877 drawing of the lots from the Abstract of Title
Newspaper clipping from an 1877 scrapbook
Building Improvements in the Northwestern Section of the City--
"No portion of the city of Philadelphia has been built up with such rapidity, with rows of large and commodious residences, during the past few years, as that section north of Fairmont Avenue and West of Broad street, and the march of improvement in that vicinity still goes steadily on. Within the past two or three years, hundreds upon hundreds of fine houses have been built and many new streets have been cut through, and rows of dwelling houses have appeared upon them with marvellous quickness. From the present indication, what are now large and open tracts of land, northwest of the resently built up portions of the city, will soon be occupied by hansome residences and desireable stores. . . .A very important improvement is the erection 57 neat and commodious pressed brick two-story dwellings on Lambert street, between Columbia and Montgomery avenues and Twentieth and Twenty-first streets. Twenty six of these houses are on the east and twenty six on the west side of the street. They contain seven rooms and bath rooms, with hot and cold water, &c., and underground drainage. These houses are well finished and are 14 feet front, 44 feet deep, and have yards 14 by 16 feet in size. They have bay windows to the sitting rooms, and will be sold for $2800 each but are not for rent. At the Montgomery avenue ends of these rows of houses, spacious stores with dwellings over them have been erected. These stores are 16 feet front and 51 feet deep, and are three stories in height. They are valued at $5500 each. On the north side of Columbia avenue, east of Lambert street, 2 large dwellings are being erected. They are of pressed brick with stone facings, 26 feet front and 72 feet deep, three stories in the clear and handsomely fitted-up saloon parlors, underground drainage, and are worth $10,000 each. They have bay windows in the rear and spacious yards. Another fine dwelling is being erected at the N.E. corner of Lambert street and Columbia avenue three stories high, with bay windows on Lambert street and in the rear. It has a front of 18 feet and a depth of 72 feet, and has every convenience. All of the above mentioned houses on Lambert street and Columbia avenue are being built by Mr. H. R. Shoch, the superintendent being Mr. E. Hoover. They have tin roofs, and the brick is laid in bar sand, and they are plastered with the same sand."
Source: Thompson Westcott's Scrapbook, volume 1 (c. fall 1877), pg. 109