King, Moses. Philadelphia and Notable
Philadelphians. New York: Blanchard Press, Isaac H.
Blanchard Co., 1901., p. 87
Born: 4/20/1875, Died: 2/5/1941
Younger brother of architect David
Knickerbacker Boyd and son of David and Alida Visscher Boyd, L.
V. Boyd has received less attention than his brother, who was more
active in civic and professional affairs of national import.
Nonetheless, L.V. Boyd had a distinguished career in residential
design, one cut short by his untimely death in an automobile
accident. Educated at Friends Central School, L V. Boyd began
working as an apprentice in the office of Frank
Miles Day in 1890. There he remained until 1893, when he joined
his brother in practice under the name of Boyd
& Boyd, with offices in the Harrison Building. While Boyd
was apprenticing with Day, the firm's work had consisted primarily
of larger projects, such as St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church
in Lynchburg, VA, the West Spruce St. Presbyterian Church at 17th
and Spruce streets in Philadelphia, and the Camden Safe Deposit and
Trust Co. in Camden, NJ. The practice which the Boyd brothers
established differed in only one respect: their primary source of
income resulted from work with entrepreneurs such as Wendell
& Smith, the developers of Wayne, PA, Pelham and Overbrook
In 1898, when the Boyd brothers divided their practice (although
some projects attributed to them continue into 1903 in the
Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide), L.V.
Boyd relied for some time on this type of work, collaborating with
T. B. Roberts on the development of Ogontz and Glenside. His
work in this area included not only the required residences, but
also in Glenside a row of shops. Evidence of L. V. Boyd's national
reputation in domestic design was provided in 1909, when he was
chosen as one of only ten architects invited to take part in the
Delineator competition for the best $3000 house. Boyd placed
fourth in this competition behind Frank Choteau Brown of Boston,
George W. Maher of Chicago, and Claude Fayette Bragdon of Rochester,
NY. Later in his career Boyd's designs were featured in the
American Home Magazine, where illustrations testify to his
versatility with style and his handling of the more restrained
spaces dictated by less expensive residences. In general Boyd's
practice until 1935 reflected the precedent set by his years with
Frank Miles Day, i.e. chiefly residential with a generous
representation of churches (First Church of Christ Scientist, Elkins
Park, PA, 1925), office buildings, banks, and libraries (Stephens
In 1935 this picture changed when Boyd began working on the
Philadelphia WPA project which was then based in the Philadelphia
Museum of Art. By 1937 he had established an office in Philadelphia
City Hall where he assumed direction of the WPA survey of the
Municipal Water System. He still maintained a separate office,
however, in the Harrison Building.
In 1891 Boyd had become a member of the T-Square Club, and he
served on its house committee, executive committee and as vice
president (1903). In 1901 he joined the national American Institute
Written by Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- Netherlands Society
- Sons of the Revolution
- St. Andrews Society
- Meridian Club
Architects and Buildings | About
Institutions | Feedback
Copyright © 2003, Philadelphia Architects and Buildings Project.
All rights reserved.