1727 Market Street was owned (and perhaps occupied) by Elam F. Witmer,
a forwarding and commission merchant, as early as 1850. Witmer sold the
property to dry good merchants Edward Pugh and George Colke in 1866. Pugh
and Colket also purchased properties at 1727, 1729, 1730, 1731 Market
Street. By 1880, Edward Pugh and George Colket had conveyed the property
to Nathan Brooke and Caffin Colket. In 1881, the property was sold to
Frederick Lovejoy who sold it to William Hassell Wilson in 1882. Wilson
then sold the property to Richard D. Barclay in 1886, and the Pennsylvania
Railroad Company purchased the property later that same year.
From 1850-1866, during the time that Elam Witmer owned the property, the
building housed a saddle and harness making business, which changed hands
several times. Witmer himself may have occupied the space, as city directories
occasionally give his address as 1727 Market Street. When Pugh and Colket
purchased the property in 1866, it was consolidated with three adjacent
lots, and a five-story flour and grain warehouse was built on the property.
The warehouse was demolished by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company around
1890 to make way for the new freight station and depot.
The 1861 Taylor watercolor depicts the property when the lot was owned
by Elam Witmer and the saddle and harnessmaking business was operated
by David Longwell. According to the 1860 Hexamer Atlas, the building was
a two-story frame dwelling and store.
Detailed Timeline of 1727 Market Street
of 1700 Block of Market Street
Images from Businesses along
the 1700 Block of Market Street
Images of Pennsylvania Railroad
Company Development along the 1700 Block of Market Street