"Located at the corner of 38th and Ludlow Streets was the residence of
Edward Thomas Davis.  The Colonial Revival house was built in 1897 and was
designed by architect Willis Hale.  This real photo postcard view is from
1910.  Davis, a well-to-do real-estate operator, was connected with William
Weightman Properties, Philadelphia's largest landowner.  Hale had just
finished designing 10 houses at 38th and Locust Streets for Weightman when
he designed the David house.  Unfortunately, this house is no longer
standing.  Still standing is a similar Hale-designed house, built for John
Stafford in 1895 at the northwest corner of Broad and Norris Streets in
North Philadelphia " p. 31.

 

Images of America:  West Philadelphia:  University City to 52nd Street.
Robert Morris Skaler. Arcadia Publishing, Charleston, SC, 2002.