Westcott Scrapbook

Volume 7
Page 221
September 1886

NEW CHESTNUT STREET STORES
Alterations to Buildings Owned by the Greble Estate, Above Seventeenth Street

            The alterations in progress at Nos. 1708 and 1710 Chestnut Street are for the purpose of making stores out of the dwellings which now occupy that site.   The buildings are owned by the estate of Edward Greble, and the changes are being made by the Executors for the purpose of renting them as stores.  The two buildings have a frontage of 44 feet, and, after the alterations are completed, will have a depth, running back to a small street in the rear.

            The adjoining building, Nos. 1712-14, was sold by the Greble estate about a year ago to C.S. Caffrey, the carriage manufacturer, who now occupies them as a business place.  The new buildings to be erected will have five stories each, with dark stone and black mortar brick fronts.  The lower floors will be rented for stores, and the upper floors for light manufacturing purposes.

 

 

Volume 7
Page 221
September 1886

Handsome New Stores on Chestnut Street.

            The Greble Estate has in course of erection, from plans prepared by Willis G. Hale, architect, two business structures at 1708 and 1710 Chestnut street.  The buildings will have a front o f44 feet and a depth of 150 feet, and be five stories in height for a depth of 30 feet, and four stories for the remainder.  The fronts are set back five feet to comply with the new building line.  The first story will be of iron and the upper stories of brick with Hummelstown brownstone trimmings.

            The first floor will be divided into two store rooms, extending the full depth of the building, separated by a hallway 14 feet wide.  The second floor will also be divided into two rooms, but all the floors above will be in one room, each the full width of 44 feet.  The entrance to the ground floor stores and all the upper floors will be through the centre, and directly facing the entrance will be the passenger elevator, surrounded by a circular iron stairway, both leading to the top floor, and enclosed in a brick, fire-proof well.  At the rear end of the building will be two freight elevators and another staircase.  Halfway back the side walls recede from the line 8 feet for a distance of 30 feet, affording ample light wells for the centre of the building.

            The first story will be 17 ½ feet high, the second 15 feet, the third, 13 ¾ feet, the fourth, 12 ½ feet, the fifth 10 ½ feet, and the cellar 9 feet.  The front walls are 25 inches thick.  The roof will be covered with tin.  All the woodwork in the front part of the stores, including the stairway doors, will be of cherry, the rest of yellow and white pine.

            In the front of the building the bases between each window will be of rock face stone.  The windows on each story will be in triple pairs and being set deep in the wall and having projecting balconies jutting out 15 inches will give the building a massive appearance.  Over the centre will run a square pediment of galvanized iron, with the name “Greble “ on it in raised letters, and flanked by large pilaster caps.  Ornamental terra cotta panel work will be liberally distributed wherever available.  Lewis Havens, the builder, states that the building will be completed this year.