Market Street 1851-1900
1. c.1887 newspaper clipping from the Jane Campbell collection at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania
2. c.1866 advertisement from the Jane Campbell collection at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania
3. Detail from Baxter's Panoramic Business Directory of Philadelphia for 1860 from Places in Time

In 1853 (the year the city consolidated) High Streets name was officially changed to Market Street, but by 1860 the market sheds had all been removed (see image 1). More clothing, glove, and hosiery sellers moved onto the block as well as onto the first block of 3rd Street north of Market, creating an informal garment district (see images 2 and 3). Between 1850 and 1880 the citys population doubled from 400,000 to 800,000, and during these years Philadelphia struggled to keep up with the publics transportation needs, a theme repeated throughout the history of Market Street (1).

____________

1. The Philadelphia Social History Project, Pittsburgh; University of Pittsburgh: 1976, p. 112.