Market Street 1951-2005
1. Photograph of 301 Market Street as it appeared in 1960. Courtesy of Historical Society of Pennsylvania
1. 339 Market Street as it appeared in 1960. Courtesy of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania
3.Detail from Baxter's Panoramic Business Directory of Philadelphia for 1860 from Places in Time

The 300 block of Market Street fell into many years of decline. A 1956 Sanborn map shows the theater at #333 gone and replaced by a huge parking lot. A 1967 Sanborn map shows that 8 buildings were torn down in order to make room for the new enormous office building at #339.ݬ The 1950s and the 1960s were decades of great transition for Philadelphia. While redevelopment activity was going on to the west of our block at Independence National Historic Park and to the east of our block in Society Hill, the 300 block was not addressed until later. In 1978 the Old City Study was published by a team of city and transportation planners and architects to evaluate the future possibilities for the area (1). Today, the 300 block sits in the heart of the thriving and sophisticated Old City neighborhood, one of Philadelphias most popular and successful dining and retail destinations.


1. Venturi and Rauch architects and planners; E.L. Crow, Inc., economic consultants; Vuchic and Dunlay, transportation consultants, Old City Study(Philadelphia: Philadelphia City Planning Commission) 1978.

3. Photograph of 313-317 Market Street as it appeared in 1960. Courtesy of Historical Society of Pennsylvania