Market Street 301-305
1. c.1902 Photo of 301 Market from the Jane Campbell collection at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania
2. c.1814 Photo of 301 Market Street (Jackson, 78)
3. Detail from Baxter's Panoramic Business Directory of Philadelphia for 1860 showing 301 - 307 Market Streetfrom Places in Time

The buildings at 301 - 305 Market Street are depicted as they looked in 1860 (fig. 3.), the early 1900's (fig. 4) and in 2005 (fig 7). The same buildings shown in the 1860 Baxter Panorama still exist today much unchanged except for the removal of the pitched roof and dormers on the 301 building which is first apparent in the 1960 photo .(2)

The four story brick building at 301 Market (shown in figs. 1, 2, 5&6) is well-represented in newspapers, books, City Directories and Philadelphias institutional photo archives. The coverage on 301 may be due both to its prominent location and original owner, Richard Wistar who is credited with building the four story brick structure between 1790 and 1795.

5. 1948 Photo looking west on Market Street. 301 Market Street is the light colored , 4 story building. (Click to see larger verion of photo) Photo from the Philadelphia City Archives 6. c.1960 Photo of 301 Market Street. (Click on image to larger photo) #40361 from the Philadelphia City Archives
Records and photographs reveal that that this building served as a hardware/iron shop (1801 directory), an umbrella & parasol manufactory (Baxters 1860 directory), a Saloon (1918 City directory & fig.2.) and a Hosiery Co. (1960 Phila. City Archive photo). Sales of gloves, shoes, fruits and cigars took place at various times at 303 and 305 Market Street according to city directories. All these buildings have a long history of housing retail businesses on the ground floor level .

A close look at photo 2 shows at least two skylights on neighboring buildings, likely used to light shop spaces for production of goods. The removal of the skylights and boarded upper story windows seen in the 1960 (fig. 6) and 2005 photos are evidence that the use of these upper stories declined as production moved from small shops to larger facilities and the residential population moved out of the downtown. Through the 1900s more fashionable shopping was relocated westward on Market street and eventually to the suburban malls. The demolition of similarly scaled buildings starting at the center of this block and continuing to the other side of Independence Mall left these buildings and their east Market Street neighbors isolated from the modernizing city. The resultant lack of capital for renovation and rebuilding helped to preserve these buildings for 200 years with few major modifications.

4. c.1905 Photo showing 301-307 Market Street (Click on image to see larger photo) Phila. Rapid Transit Photo Collection, Vol I archived at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania
7. Photo collage of 301-307 Market Street by A. Seward, 2005