Window Detail (after 1933)
Front Facade (after 1933)
Caleb, Cope &¬ÝCompany Store, (by 1933 it was Goldber's Army-Navy Store), was first built in 1853. The architect was Joseph C. Hoxsie, and the builder, Charles Rubicam. It is also known that the granite cutter was Solomon K. Hoxie.

Very little is known about this building, despite it's recording with the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), as number PA-1408. The pictures listed on this page are part of the HABS documentation, however, no written information accompanies the report.

Sadly, the building was demolished in 1970 and is now replaced by a Wachovia Bank building that stretches across the north side of Market Street between 4th and 5th streets.

Sources:

Historic American Buildings Survey,¬ÝThe Library of Congress. http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/hh:@field(DOCID+@lit(PA1002))

Philadelphia Buildings. "400 Block Market Street." http://www.philadelphiabuildings.org/pab/app/view_street.cfm/53560?PJ_GRID_BlockNumber=4&RedisplayProjects=Go