Present Day images of 200 block of S.Second St.
Two images of 254 S. Second St, March 1914
Taylor Watercolor #29, 254 S. Second St. Winthur Collection
Waln, a prominent colonial lawyer and later a Quaker minister, was the
first owner of the home at 254 2nd st. The property, shown set back
from the road in the Taylor watercolor, was built sometime before 1785.
According to the Jane Campbell collectionThe Waln family owned the home
until 1812 when a Dr. Ely briefly resided in the home prior to the
purchase of the home by Dr. Samuel McClellan. In 1862 future Union
General George McClellan was born in the home. In the mid 1800's the
home was used by the Southeast School. Between 1861 and 1871 the girls
section of the school occupied the home. Rev. Ezra Stiles is believed
to be the head of the school. The property was used for manufacturing
purposes in the 1910's. In 1959 the Redevelopment Agency of
Philadelphia acquired the property though condemnation. click for more