According to the Helen Perkins Collection (1900-1912), housed within the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, this block's construction was included in the Carpenter family development, circa 1740. The structure portrayed in James Taylor's watercolor of 1861 is of masonry construction with a shingle roof, functioning as a grocery on the ground level with a dwelling upstairs (as indicated by a Hexamer Insurance map from 1864). The property's chain of title reveals a building on site as early as 1779, yet records regarding its history do not resurface until 1871. A series of transfers, in the form of deed abstracts, suggest the Haggarty family's ownership spanned seventy years as multiple address listings described the property over the course of time. In 1964 the exsisting building faced demolition, determined by the Historic American Buildings Survey archives. The lot has since been absorbed by its neighbor, serving as a garden for its current proprietor, Jeanne Potamkin. Ms. Potamkin's residence and garden were listed on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places in March of 1999. For more comprehensive deed information, please refer to this property's chain of title.