GREATER MT. OLIVE AME CHURCH
Greater Mount Olive AME church was founded in 1825 and initially called Murray Chapel because of services being held in a private home at 6th and Hirt Streets. In 1898 the name was changed when the church moved to Clifton and South Streets. The congregation re-located for the last time to the Northeast corner of Nineteenth and Fitzwater Street and again changed their name to Greater Mount Olive AME Church. A Fire divested the edifice in 1966 leaving four bearing walls. The church congregation was splintered worshiping at other churches for three years. A new edifice was built on that property in 1969.
Cummings C, Frank, Dixon H. John, Wynn A. Henry, Scott-Singletons M. Thelma, and Green A. P. Patricia.
The First Episcopal Districtís Historical Review of 200 years of African Methodism. Greenlick & Ronald Weinman1987