ZION AME CHURCH
Zion was founded in 1845 as a result of prayer meetings,
which were held in various homes. Mr.
Thomas Jones was charged to plant seeds for a new congregation for African
Methodism in South Philadelphia, which had been called the ěNeckî
congregation moved from a schoolhouse on Cone Street (now Second and Ried Street) to couple of new buildings; the first on 21st and Front Street and in 1925 land was purchased on the corner of 21st and Tasker Streets to build a new church. The church was dedicated on Easter of April 8, 1928.
Cummings C, Frank, Dixon H. John, Wynn A. Henry, Scott-Singletons M. Thelma, and Green A. P. Patricia.
The First Episcopal Districtís Historical Review of 200 years of African Methodism. Greenlick & Ronald Weinman1987