Callowhill Street market (located where Callowhill and Seventh intersect) is the northern section of the city’s version of the Bainbridge market. The markets developed in a way such that their distribution was quite uniform with the patterns of development seen in Philadelphia before the advent of modern market halls in the middle to late nineteenth century. The market, being located on an already wide street did not leave behind an imprint upon its removal. The market shared space on with street car rail tracks as Callowhill was an integral thoroughfare for the northern section of center city. Located precariously near the Vine Street Expressway, almost every bit of the market’s surroundings were done away with in the middle twentieth century.
Apparent in the Hexamer Insurance map of 1898 (can be found at the Philadelphia Free Library Maps room) below; the market was, like the Bainbridge market, consisting of ramshackle temporary structures made of wood and tin. As was the case, its removal in the early twentieth century was probably due to health concerns and the appearance of the over all neighborhood.
In the color watercolor below, done by the artist/historic documentationist Benjamin R. Evans in 1883; the market and surroundings are shown. The photo is courtesy of the Library Company of Philadelphia and can be acquired with using the call number: P.2298.119. The caption provided by Evans reads:
In the center of the scene is a low gray market shed trimmed with white with horse car tracks curving around the edge of the building. This appears to be the terminus for the #8 Callowhill Street horse car. Passengers appear to be waiting for transportation. A man in a red shirt pushes a loaded handcart. To the left the corner building houses "Sensman & Son Printers." At the street level of the same building is "N. Ferree Lighter Coal." On the other side of the market shed, on the corner, is "Family Grocery" which offers "Choice Tea." Farther along Callowhill Street a painter has his business in #632. There are numerous adults in this scene and two horse cars. Three of the females are carrying their shopping baskets.
The above image, also by Evans, shows the SE corner of Callowhill and Seventh and is done in 1883. Located at the Historical Society of Philadelphia; call number: 862EV15/.157.