Building Permit Information for Snow's Court, 1880 to 1910

Location: Lot 66 (Originally Lot 12)

Date: August 13, 1877

This structure was built in 1877 as a carpenter's shed. It was one two story brick structure that was almost 16 feet wide and 25 feet deep. The owner's name was C.W. Wood

Reference: Building Permit #767

Location: Lots 24 and 25

Date: May 10, 1884

A permit was requested to erect 13 two story brick dwellings within these lots. This is the earliest permit that states that the structures would specifically be used for housing. Each house was very small at approximately 450 square feet. The owner's name was Edwin Greer.

Reference: Building Permit #1597

Location: Lot 3

Date: May 6, 1885

A permit was requested for the construction of five two story brick dwellings. Each dwelling was approximately 11.5 feet wide and 28 feet deep. A letter from the Office of the Engineer Commissioner, stating that the homes would have a connection for sewer drainage. The owners were Duvall and Marr.

Reference: Building Permit #1672

Location: Lot 18

Date: June 4, 1885

A permit was requested to erect three two story brick dwellings. Each house would be 11 feet wide and 27 feet deep. The owner's name was L.A. Veerhoff.

Reference: Building Permit #1909

Location: Lot 62 (originally Lot 9)

Date: October 14, 1885

A permit was requested to erect four two story brick dwellings. The houses were 12'8" wide and 28' deep. The owner's name was R.N. Tilton.

Reference: Building Permit # 829

Location: Lot 2, (2406, 2408, 2410 Snows Court)

Date: March 7, 1888

A permit was issued for the construction of three two story brick homes. This was the first permit to actually list the addresses for the houses. Each house was to 12 feet wide and 30 feet deep. A certificate of Approval of Plan from the DC Health Department was included with the permit. This meant that the owner would be providing plumbing and drainage to the houses. The owner's name was Eugene Bettes.

Reference: Building Permit # 1502

Location: Lots 19 and 20 (2417 and 2419 Snows Court)

Date: June 9, 1890

A permit was issued for the construction of two two story brick homes. This was the first permit to actually list the addresses for the houses. Each house was to 12.5 feet wide and 28 feet deep. A certificate of Approval of Plan from the DC Health Department was included with the permit. This meant that the owner would be providing plumbing and drainage to the houses. The owner's name was J.H. Grant.

Reference: Building Permit # 2388