Arthur Primrose Baugh Residence
The following photographs are of atlases housed at the Free Library of Philadelphia, Pa. The first map is from 1900 and indicates the future location of the Arthur Baugh House. Note that it was once part of Henry Morris' expansive estate. The 1908 map represents the home clearly labeled "A. P. Baugh" with a long access road leading to the house. The land around the home is still primarily composed of vast estates. By the time the 1920 map is created, the land surrounding A. P. Baugh's house has been divided into multiple lots.
Property Atlas, E.V. Smith Publisher, Philadelphia Pa, 1900 Highlighted Circle indicating the future location of the A. P. Baugh house
Property Atlas, A. H. Mueller Pulbisher, Philadelphia PA 1920
Presently, the Baugh house is listed on Minden Way, formerly a neighboring service road and owned by Michael and Victoria Gloster. The couple reside there as well as run their marketing business from the property. Once part of the Minden Estates, the Gloster's home is now surrounded by other homes and businesses. The house was purchased back in 2000 from the Vartel family.
Franklin Survey Atlas, 1961
As indicated by the Wynnewood area property Atlases, Arthur Baugh sold his property to Charles W. Roberts in 1926. Subsequent owners are as follows, Fidelity Trust Company, 1937, John R. Springler, 1948, and Jambar Corporation in 1961.Worthy of mention, the Jambar Corporation had also acquired the Pierce Archer property by that year, managing an apartment complex, Oakwynne Apartments, in place of the original built fabric. Under the propriety of Jambar, the Baugh house survives, bordered by the renamed Oakwynne Drive Complex.
Property Atlas, A. H. Mueller Publisher, Philadelphia, Pa. 1908
Many of the architectural elements mentioned in the Architectural Record, such as harmonious color and variety of natural textures, are notions endorsed by Gustav Stickley and the Craftsman movement. It is not surprising then that Stickley dedicated an article to David Knickerbacker Boyd in his highly popular Craftsman Magazine; the article, published in 1907, was titled "Spontaneous Architecture Expression shown in the Building of American Homes. Although the text in the article is brief, it gives a detailed description of both the exterior and interior of the A. P. Baugh house (note: the article does not refer to the A. P. Baugh house by name, but only as a home in Wynnewood, Pa.). The anonymous author relates the home to English country homes and describes it as a long, low, two-story home with the first story built of reddish-brown brick. The upper walls of the house are described as having half-timber work of heavy beams stained a very dark brown with the stucco between the beams left a creamy white. The moss green shingles create a "color effect of the whole harmonizing delightfully with the landscape around it".
The article gives detailed insight as to how the original interior of the home appeared, designed in keeping with the exterior of the house. The interior woodwork was a dark Flemish oak with paneled wainscot , beamed ceilings, and carved details. Notable features included a large fireplace, built in seats and bookcases, and casement windows were filled with leaded glass (The Craftsman, August 1907, p. 515-524).
The inclusion of David Knickerbacker Boyd's A. P. Baugh house in two leading architectural periodicals is a testimony to his recegnition as residential designer at the turn of the century. Furthermore, the description of the A. P. Baugh house expresses the considerable amount of wealth and attention given to the construction and architectural detailing.
The same year that the Philadelphia Real Estate and Builders' Guide reported David Knickbacker Boyd's plans to design a house for Pierce Archer, it also reported Boyd's receiving a commission to build a home for A.P. Baugh. Arther Primrose Baugh (b. 1879) was Pierce Archer's son-in-law, married to his daughter, Nina Archer (b. 1880). The May 1901 issue of the Philadelpha Real Estate and Builders' Guide notes that architect Boyd had awarded Mr. John D. Kangle of Wayne, Pa. the building contract for the "large handsome residence to be erected for Arther P. Baugh Esq., at Wynnewood, Pa." The house was described as a two story structure , brick and timber, and measuring 104 x 27 feet. (Philadelphia Real Estate and Builders' Guide. v. 16, n. 18, p.273, 277.)
The Craftsman, August 1907 p. 519.
The Craftsman, August 1907 p. 519.
The 1905 Philadelphia Social Directory suggests that Arthur Baugh and his wife, Nina, lived with her parents at 2011 Spruce Street. However, by the 1910 Social Directory, Arthur and Nina Baugh are listed as residing at "Primrose Hill" in Wynnewood, Pa. Yet Arthur and Nina Baugh do not remain at that particular property for long. In 1921, according to the Philadelphia Social Directory, the Baughs lived on Thornbrook Lane in Rosemont, Pa. and continued to reside there though the 1930's. Interestingly, even though Arthur and Nina Baugh did not live at "Primrose Hill" for an extended amount of time, David Boyd's design for the house received wide covereage in architecural periodicals of the time.
The March 1906 issue of Architectural Record mentioned Boyd's Baugh House in an article entitled "Recent Suburban Architecture in Philadelphia and Vicinity." The article compares the suburbs of Philadelphia to the southeast English countryside. The author states that there is "scarcely a trace of the American newness about them". The article goes on to highlight a variety of new structures, including the A. P. Baugh house. The home is described as a "charming country seat in a fine setting and background of verdure". The article features descriptions of some of the many unique architectural elements of the house including its heavy timber construction, uniquely uneven application of roof shingles, the rough brick and plaster work as well as the home's overall extending low profile. Boyd is praised for his sensitivity to light, texture, and harmonious color. The inclusion of a garage and driveway, as well as a separate wing for laundry and servants, equiped this home with the modern amenities of the time. (Architectural Record. v. 19, n. 2, March 1906, p.191.)