2nd and Carpenter Streets, Sparks Shot Tower
P.8513.150 Title from photographer's manuscript note on verso: Old shot tower - 2nd and Carpenter Sts. Photograph by author, 2005
Built in 1808, Sparks Shot Tower was the United State’s first shot tower, a 142-foot tall brick tower used to produce musket balls. Molten lead was poured through a mesh with different sized shapes, and the balls would drop into a large container of water. The tower produced ammunition until 1903 and was kept in the Sparks family for four generations. By the time Wilson took his photograph, the tower was no longer functioning and stood in the center of a park, which is now used as a community center.

BACK TO MAIN PAGE

E.V. Smith Fire Insurance Atlas, 1917, pl. 2