The Architecture of George T. Pearson, part IV

Works in PA, 1894 on

[GTP in PA to 1886] [ GTP in PA 1887-1890] [GTP in PA, 1891-93] [next piece, GTP outside PA, 1880-1915]

LOCATION DATE TYPE/CLIENT ADDRESS/EXT?   CITES NOTES
Philadelphia, Chestnut Hill 1894 dwelling, "Homecroft/Eastdene," for J. Levering Jones, and stable, 1902 501 W. Moreland Ave.
J. Teel photo, 2005

Building Permit Abstract 05/06/1894

ill. in AABN, 06/16/1894

BG 07/02/1902

ARec 03/1906

2dy: J Garrison book: =501 W., 1894

1895 CD: of Jones, Carson & Beeber; h Moreland c St. Martins Ln.
Pennsylvania, Cheltenham, Laverock 1895 dwelling for Arthur E. Newbold   ill. in AABN 11/16/1895

site of later Mellor, Megs, & Howe estate, 1920s, which was demolished in 1956

Philadelphia, Germantown 1895

convent St. Margaret’s Home for St. Luke’s P.E. Church, 1895-96 (McCall Memorial)

orphanage, 1895-96

church adds

 

Main St. and Coulter St.

5411 Germantown

convent ill. in AABN
08/10/1895

memorial:
PRERBG
07/03/1895

orphanage:
PRERBG
06/05/1895

church:
PRERBG
07/03/1895
06/24/1896

Penn-Knox file, PHC:
original church built 1818
rebuilt 1875-76, Henry M. Congdon architect
tower completed 1892
alt & add including new organ front by GTP 1894
alt & add by GTP 1910

Philadelphia, West 1895

dwelling for Charles S. Langstroth

1903 CD: Charles S., lawyer, h 4109 Walnut (also Francis D., clerk, James. H., lawyer, & Thomas A

4109 Walnut St.

ext.

AABN 06/22/1895, ill.

 

Philadelphia,
Pelham
1895 (date in gable) dwelling for John McIlhenny

346 Pelham Rd.

ext.

AABN, 07/06/1895, ill.

PRERBG 03/13/1895

[1900 CD: Jne McIlhenny (Helme & McIlhenny) h 220 W Upsal (house demolished 25 yrs ago)?]

above = subsequent house? ill. in Handsome Homes, 1899, p. 19.

Philadelphia,
West
1895-1914 St. George's P.E. Church (and?) parish house

61st St. and Cedar Av.

ext.

PRERBG 02/10/1895
01/29/1913
06/11/1913
07/16/1913
09/03/1913
05/13/1914
06/03/1914
11/18/1914
 
Philadelphia, Germantown 1895 church design for First M. E. Church of Gtn

Germantown Av & High

unex.

ill. in AABN
3/21/1896

1896 datestone

1900 CD: Germantown Av & High

design published but not adopted. winner of 1895 competion was Rankin & Kellog, ch buit to their design 1896-98

Philadelphia, Germantown 1896 dwelling for Thomas C. Walbridge (alts?) 136 W. Tulpehocken St.,

ext.

PRERBG
08/12/1896
he’s not in 1900 CD but in 1900 census: sociologist & name spelled Walbridge (one L)
Philadelphia, Germantown 1896 rectory for St. Luke's P.E. Church Main St. and Coulter St.

ext.

PRERBG
01/15/1896
02/19/1896

AABN 08/08/1896: 3sty stone rectory, 55 x 35'.

 
Philadelphia, Chestnut Hill 1897 dwelling for J. Clinton Foltz, physician

1 Summit St., at NEC Bethlehem Pike.

ext.


J. Teel photo, 2005

BG 6/09/1897

Building Permit Abstract from 06-02-1897, Athenaeum of Phila.

AABN 12/12/1906. ill.

1900 CD: Bethlehem Pike c E Summit

Alts & adds occurred in 1899, 1901, 1911, 1918, 1949-1950 (George A. Robbins, architect), 1952, 1966 & 1973 (Irving Silver, architect)

Philadelphia, North 1898-1910 factory buildings for J. B. Stetson & Co.

PAB cites “Building No. 21” in 1898,

“Building No. 23” and :Stetson Auditorium” in 1906 (demolished 1979)

“Building No. 24” in 1909-10.

1746-60 N. 4th St. (4th St. & Montgomery Av.), 1801 Germantown Av., 1804-32 Cadwallader St.,

dem.

PRERBG
04/27/1898
05/18/1898
10/12/1898
02/01/1899
01/16/1901

Webster, Phila Preserved 1906, 1909-10

 

some probably earlier than 1898

Philadelphia, Germantown 1900 dwelling for H. R. Gummey

5317 Wayne Ave

ext.

ill. in AABN, xx 1900  
Philadelphia,
Pelham
c. 1900 dwelling for Clarence D. Senseman

345 Pelham Rd.

ext.

AIA/T-Square yearbook 1900 per 1900 & 1905 CD: h 345 Pelham
Philadelphia, Germantown 1903

“memorial altar and reredos” St. Luke's P.E. Church

Main St. and Coulter St.  

AABN
03/28/1903

St Luke’s book:

:in the fall of 1902, Mrs. William Penn Troth, Jr., proposed a new stone altar & reredos in memory of Mr. Troth – Pearson was chosen as architect for that.
Philadelphia, Mt. Airy 1904 dwelling for Frank G. Sheble.

311 Roumfort Road

ext.

building permit June 1904, per J. Duffin  
Philadelphia, Chestnut Hill 1904 dwelling for Henry H Kingston.

8015 St. Martin's La.

ext.

Athenaeum: 5 city building permits "A 2 1/2 story, 4 rank, sidegabled, stone Georgian Revival dwelling w/relieving arches above the first floor openings, round portico, fanlight transom, keystone centered stone lintels on the second floor, and 2 gabled dormers flanking a center Palladian window dormer.
Philadelphia, Mt. Airy 1905

apartment house, "Cresheim Arms" (1905), for Laura G. Watson

then hotel (1913, alterations and/or additions)

31 Allens Ln.

ext.

PRERBG 01/04/1905
02/15/1905 1/8/1913
1906 CD: Watson, prop, The Cresheim Arms, Germantown & Golden Swan, h 31 Allen La
Philadelphia, Mt. Airy 1905

alterations and/or additions to dwelling for Sydney L. Wright,
banker

1906 CD: Sydney L, investments, h Carpenter Station
1910 census: Carpenter Ln.
1920 census: 129 Carpenter Ln.

? alts to 117 Carpenter Ln., or to SLW's mansion, "Cliff Lawn" on Carpenter Lane, just above the Carpenter Station.

prev attrib of 129 Carpenter's Lane mistaken.

"Stone Gables" was built for Wright and his new wife, Kate Lewis (m. 1915).
‘It's possible, indeed likely, thatwas a Pearson house or that it was modified by Pearson. One other possible lead: S.L. Wright had the house next door to us (a fine colonial revival at 117 Carpenter Lane) built circa 1905-06 for his daughter Henrietta and her husband Robert Lea. ‘Until 1912, when his first wife died, S L Wright lived in "Cliff Lawn"

PRERBG 07/05/1905: alterations and/or additions to dwelling Note fromTS:
‘129 Carpenter Lane aka "Stone Gables," was designed for Sidney Longstreth Wright by C. Wharton Churchman and E.J. Holmes and built in 1915.
Philadelphia, West 1905

dwelling for Wilmer Atkinson.

(1840-1920)
[Quaker]
founder & publisher of Farm Journal

4106 Locust St.

ext.

PRERBG 12/14/1904
12/21/1904
01/11/1905

PRERBG listings for both Holmes Atkinson and Wilmer Atkinson

1900 CD: WA., publishers (WA & Charles Jenkins [his nephew, d. 1951]) h 4109 Walnut
has date stone: 1905
Philadelphia, Chestnut Hill 1907 ?clubhouse for Philadelphia Cricket Club (Dr. Woodward) W. Willow Grove Av.

ext.

PRERBG 10/02/1907
03/03/1909
07/06/1910
02/01/1911

photos, plans AABN, xx

D'Ascenzo
Client Cards 04/1910
American Vitruvius American Architect
11/13/1912

 
Philadelphia, Germantown 1908-10 parish house, St. Luke's P.E. Church  (ST. BARNABAS HALL)

5421 Germantown Av.

Main St. and Coulter St.

The parish house is the one at the back of the lot. 

 

PRERBG 02/02/1910

Penn-Knox file, PHC.

St. Luke’s Bk: Pearson IS named.

GTP presented sketches for it in 4/1908, they signed contracts for it in 6/08, they took until 3/1910 to raise the money for it, and it opened on 12/25/1910.

Philadelphia, Chestnut Hill 1908 dwelling for Samuel Porcher 7708 Navajo St.

ext.

Athenaeum: City building permit 4080 J Moak: "A 2 1/2 story, 6 rank, stuccoed stone Georgian Revival dwelling w/hipped roof, 3 story bay in the second rank from the left."
Philadelphia, Germantown 1910 Quarry Play Ground Association Wayne Av., near Seymour St.

PRERBG  06/01/1910

"Recent Phila Architecture," Architectural Record 1911, p. 226.

Campbell scrapbooks (newspaper article dated July 29, 1910):

“Some months ago E. Walter Clark gave the city a large tract of land at Wayne avenue and Logan street as a play ground, and he is now having it fitted up to be the best equipped playground in Philadelphia.”

Philadelphia, Chestnut Hill 1910 ?casino for Philadelphia Cricket Club

Willow Grove Av. W.

ext.

PRERBG 04/06/1910  

Pennsylvania,
Bryn Mawr

c. 1910? dwelling for W. E. Carter   Booklet of buildings by the Gray Brothers, contractors, c. 1910
Warshaw Collection, Natl. Museum of American History, DC
 
Philadelphia, Mt. Airy 1912 dwelling for A. M. Harrington

Westview Av., east of Wissahickon Av.

ext.

PRERBG
04/03/1912
 
Philadelphia, North 1915 St. Alban's P.E. Church

2nd St. and W. Tabor Rd.

ext

PRERBG 02/10/1915 plans & elevations at Athenaeum
St Luke’s book: in fall of 1892, the St. Luke’s started providing services in Olney, as “St. Alban’s Mission” – purchased a lot, and the church – St. Alban’s – opened on 12/31/1897. In 1907 it became an independent parish.

[GTP in PA to 1886] [next piece, GTP in PA 1887-1890] [GTP in PA, 1891-93] [GTP outside PA, 1880-1915] [home]

last rev. 29 June 07 jc