Residence of E. W. Clark
Page 7, Handsome Houses of Germantown, Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy and Pelham
(Phila.: Germantown Independent-Gazette, 1899).
Residence of E.W. Clark Footprint. Adjusted angle to allign with the photograph's perspective.
"GeoHistory Resources." Atlas
of the City of Philadelphia, Volume 7, 22nd Ward, 1889. N.p., n.d. Web.
15 Feb. 2015.
Accessed from "King's Views of Philadelphia." King's Views of Philadelphia. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2015.
Original source from Philadelphia: Page 89, The Most American of All Cities. New York: Moses King, 1900. Print.
The residence of Edward White Clark, built in 1865, was located at
School Lane and Wissahickon Avenue. Its owner E.W. Clark was a wealthy
Philadelphia businessman. He was born in 1828 in Providence, Rhode
Island, the oldest son of Enoch White. He joined and was made a partner
of his father's thriving banking firm: E.W. Clark & Company. He
then became a senior partner when his father died in 1856 when he was
28. There is an archival collection in the University of Penssylvania,
Archives & Record Center. It was gifted by David Clark Madeira,
great-great-great-grandson of E.W. Clark. The collection provides a
detailed bibliographical notes and inventories of the Clark family. [more]
The footprint acquired from Bromley's 1889 Atlas of the 22nd Ward of
the City of Philadelphia, indicates that the property belonged to Mary
Clark at that time period.
Moses King in his 1900 published King's View of Philadelphia, has
following descriptions of the house: "In the midst of beautifully
situated and highly cultivated grounds, with tower and spacious
verandah, has stood for a generation the typical suburban home of
Edward W. Clark, son of the late banker, Enoch W. Clark, and the senior
partner of the esteemed banking house of E.W. Clark, & Co."