Jacob G. DeTurck residence

New Street and Stenton Avenue, Chestnut Hill
Current Address: 8820 Stenton Avenue
(Existed in 1889 and 1899 Atlas of the City of Philadelphia)




Handsome Homes of Germantown, Mt. Airy & Pelham .. Germantown: Germantown Independent Gazette, 1899. Print.

Bromley, Geo. W. & Bromley, Walter S., Atlas of the City of Philadelphia, Volume 7 , 22nd Ward, Published by G.W. Bromley and Co., 1899, Plate 19.

-----

RESEARCH ON BUILDING

Deturck's residence was already on the site back in 1889, when Newton Street were still called New Street.

Bromley, Geo. W. & Bromley, Walter S., Atlas of the City of Philadelphia, Volume 7 , 22nd Ward, Published by G.W. Bromley and Co., 1889, Plate 19.


According to "Suburban Manors of Late Nineteenth-Century Philadelphia", a website recording research done by Prof. Cohen from Bryn Mawr College, the architect for DeTurck's residence is Theophilus P. Chandler Jr., who is best remembered for his churches and country homes. Another image of the house is also available on the website.
(http://www.brynmawr.edu/iconog/wh/whloc.htm#nw)


Image from Free Library of Philadelphia


-----

RESEARCH ON OWNER

Boyd's city directory of 1900 shows Jacob G. DeTurck's address as Stenton Avenue cross New Street in Chestnut Hill, although in the 1899 city map New Street has already changed its name to Newton Street. The directory also shows that DeTurck is the co-president of DeTurck, Bassett & Co,m which is a company managing upholsterers' goods, with the business address on 1009 Filbert Street.


Boyd's Co-partnership and Residence Business Directory of Philadelphia City. Philadelphia: Boyd's Directory Office, 1900. Ebook.


--------------

The surrounding area were still dominated by mansions and houses today, but the original DeTurck house is no longer there and replaced by a new mansion with similar architectural style. [?]
  
Google Map Satellite View


deturckhouse.html; 07/19/2017; JW