Uptown (N of the Park)
- 06.02.91 Q&A: Pastime & Mount Morris Theaters, Fifth
Avenue, 110th & 116th (1908/1913) Henry G. Harris/ Hoppin
- 02.19.95 c Park Avenue Railroad Viaduct, 110th - 130th (1897)
Walter Katt/ Steinman, Boynton, Gronquist & Birdsall/ di
Domenico & Partners Correction: The railroad bridge over
the river was replaced in 1956, not 1940.
- 12.29.96 e Hendrick Hudson, nec 110th & Riverside (1907/1953)
Rouse & Sloan/ Gerald Daub/Max Horn/ Walter Melvin Error:
the building on the southeast corner of 110th and Riverside is
375 Riverside Drive, not 380.
- 06.09.96 Aguilar Library, 176 East 110th Street (1899/1905)
Herts & Tallant/ Gruzen Samton
- 06.24.90 Leake & Watts Orphan Asylum, 112th St. &
Amsterdam Avenue (1843) Ithiel Town
- 11.25.90 Croton Gatehouse, swc 113th St. & Amsterdam
Avenue (1870's) --1
- 0.13.91 St. Luke's Hospital, 113th & Amsterdam (1904)
- 09.19.93 Wadleigh High, 215 West 114th (1902) C. B. J. Snyder
- 10.15.95 e Paterno triplet buildings, Broadway, 115th-116th
Gaetan Ajello/ Sylvan Hanauer/ Harold Spivak Error: The Rexor
no longer has "a careless stucco scar" across the top;
the area has been patched with brick.
- 05.12.91 President's House, Columbia, 116th & Morningside
(1912) McKim, Mead & White/ Kohn Pedersen Fox
- 07.12.87 Graham Court, nec 116th St. & Seventh (1901)
Clinton & Russell\
- 04.12.92 e Casa Italiana, 117th & Amsterdam (1927) McKim,
Mead & White/ Buttrick White & Burtis/ Italo Rota Error:
The joint institute is the Italian Academy for Advanced Studies
- 05.06.90 Harlem Courthouse, 121st St. & Sylvan (1893)
Thom & Wilson/ David
- 03.16.97 West 121st Street brownstones (1890) Cleverdon &
- 01.18.98 Rowhouses, 202-220 West 122nd Street (1887/1889)
- 12.25.94 Church of the Master, 122nd & Morningside (1893/1972)
William C. Haskell/ Victor Christ-Janer
- 08.25.91 e Rowhouses, 122nd & Madison (1882) Charles
Romeyn/ Charles Baxter Error: The spokesperson for the hospital
is Renelda Higgins, not Reinaldo. Mount Morris Park runs from
120th to 124th Streets, not between "110th and 120th".
- 02.12.89 O'Reilly Warehouse, nec 123rd St. & St. Nicholas
(1892) Cornelius O'Reill
- 12.08.91 St. Mary's, 561 West 126th (1908) Carrere &
- 11.20.94 Blumstein's, 230 West 125th Street (1923) - black
boycott in 1930's Kohn & Butler
- 09.18.88 125th Street Train Station, Park Avenue (1875/1897)
Morgan O'Brien/ Wayne Ehmann
- 08.30.87 Mount Morris Bank, nwc 125th St. & Park Avenue
(1883/1889) Lamb & Rich
- 10.18.87 Speyer School, 514 West 126th St. (1901) Edgar Josselyn
- 04.16.89 PS 157, nwc 126th St. & St. Nicholas Avenue
(1899) C. B. J. Snyder/ George Debevoise
- 06.07.92 Q&A: brownstone, 14 East 126th (1875) --
- 02.08.98 c Gleason house, 28 West 126th (1871) Calvert Vaux
/ Frederick Withers / Hamlett Wallace Correction: The article
refers to a sample house for sale at 74 West 127th Street. The
house is actually at 74 East repeat East 127th Street. The account
of "an income limit of $41,000" for purchasers of the
home is misleading. It is a lower limit - to make sure they can
afford the house - not an upper limit.
- 01.26.97 St. James Methodist Church, nec 126th & Madison
(1871) DeForest Lockwood/ Jablonski Berkowitz
- 07.14.91 e Villa, 12 West 129th (1863/1882/1921) John B.
Simpson/ Asbury Barker Error: The photo credit should be Museum
of the City of New York, not New York Public Library.
- 10.09.94 Astor Row, 8-62 West 130th (1883) Charles Buek
- 06.16.91 Payton house, 13 West 131st (1887) John E. Darragh.
- 11.11.90 Lafayette Theater, Seventh Avenue, 131st-132nd (1912)
V. Hugo Koehler/ Percy Griffin
- 01.21.96 St. Phillip's Church, 210 East 134th (1911) Tandy
& Foster/ Robert Silman
- 07.28.91 e Croton Gatehouse, 135th & Convent (1890) Frederick
F. Cook Error: Water no longer "flows" into the Gatehouse
- 04.24.94 L C. J. Walker townhouse, 108 West 136th (1915)
- 08.31.97 c Q&A: Hebrew Orphan Asylum, Amsterdam &
136th (1884) Wm. H. Hume Correction: Arthur Riesman (516-679-
1798), an alumnus of the HOA, notes that the statement "there
is nothing left of the Hebrew Orphan Asylum" except for
some retaining walls is wrong. Although the 1884 Victorian building
was indeed demolished, the Orphan Asylum built, in 1928, a non-
descript 1 story gymnasium near the southeast corner of 138th
and Hamilton Place, separate from the asylum itself but still
on the same block.
- 03.03.96 Q&A: Renaissance Ballroom, sec 138th & Seventh
(1922) H. C. Ingalls/ Vertner Tandy
- 09.17.95 B'Nai Israel, 602 West 149th (1923) Emery Roth
- 05.30.93 Replacement sidewalks, upper Riverside Drive/Andrew
Jackson apartment, nec 149th and Riverside (1911) George &
- 08.06.89 Loth Factory, 150th St. & Amsterdam (1886/1904)
- [update published 10.01.1989] Hugo Kafka/ Buchman & Fox
- 02.11.90 32nd Precinct Station House, swc 152nd St. &
Amsterdam Avenue (1871) Nathaniel D. Bush/ Paul Draskovic
- 04.07.91 Milestone & house, 473 West 152 (1769/1882)
- 05.17.87 L Audubon Terrace, West 155th St. (1906-1930) Charles
- 11.22.87 Audubon Theater, nec 166th & Broadway (1912)
- 04.21.91 168th Street Subway Station (1906) Heins & Lafarge
Error: The 181st Street station is at St. Nicholas, not Broadway.
- 12.06.92 Q&A: Woodrow Court, 565 West 169th (1918) George
- 10.09.88 High Bridge Tower, West 174th St. (1872) John B.
Jervis/William A. Hall
- 09.01.91 Q&A: Arrowhead Inn, 177th & Haven Avenue
- 11.16.97 Hudson-View Gardens, 181st and Pinehurst (1924)
- 08.04.91 e Washington Terrace, at 186th Street (1908) Daniel
J. Murphy Error: The lawfirm mentioned is Tenzer, Greenblatt,
not "Tenzer, Goldblatt".".
- 02.26.89 Henry Hudson Parkway Shelter, West 190th St. (1925)
Gustavo Steinacher/ Theodore Videto
- 02.25.90 University Heights Bridge, West 207th St.. West
Fordham Rd., Bronx (1895) George W. Birdsall/ William H. Burr/
Alfred T. Boller
06.05.88 Drake Arch, 215th St. & Broadway (1855) --
12.31.89 e Kingsbridge Car Barn, sec 218th St. & Amsterdam
Avenue (1897) Romeo Tomassek/ Isaac Hopper Error: the cross-street
of the building was not given in the story.
06.03.90 Q&A: Semiramis, 137 Central Park North (1902)
01.26.92 41 Convent Avenue (1910) Henri Fouchaux
03.21.93 Hamilton Grange, 287 Convent (1802/1889) John McComb,
06.26.94 c 718-730 St. Nicholas Avenue rowhouses (1889) A.
B. Jennings Correction: the stabilization cost if $99,000, not
02.02.92 City College, Shepard Hall (1907) George B. Post/
07.12.98 4863 Park Avenue - dissent over window retrofit(1908)
Pollard & Steinam
07.24.94 Apartment, 409 Edgecombe Avenue (1917) Schwartz &
12.22.96 Billings Estate/Fort Tryon Park (1903/1907/1912) Guy
Lowell/ Charles D. Lay/ Buchman & Kahn
07.13.97 Harlem Speedway (1898) Calvert Vaux
11.29.98 Andrew Dolkart's Book "Morningside Heights"
03.06.88 e Swing Bridge, Harlem River (1899) Robert Giles Error:
The bridge was completed in 1899, not 1900.
01.22.89 Q&A: G. W. Bridge Cocktail Lounge ("1931")
12.01.91 Q&A: Mount Morris Sanitorium (1923) --
05.22.94 Harlem Fire Tower, Mount Morris Park (1856) Julius
Kroehl/ Nina Kroehl/ Medhat Salam