Some Reading Suggestions Unit A
- Brooks McNamara, "David Douglass and the Beginnings
of American Theater Architecture," Winterthur Portfolio
III (1967), p.112- 135.
- Marzio, Peter C. "Carpentry in the Southern Colonies,"
Winterthur Portfolio 7 (1972): 229-250.
- Harold Francis Pfister, " Burlingtonian Architectural
Theory in England and America," Winterthur Portfolio
11 (1976), p.123- 151.
- Hershey, Constance V. "Furnishing an Eighteenth-Century
Tavern for Twentieth-Century Use." Winterthur Portfolio.
Vol.13, p139-160 1979.
- Carson, Cary et al. "Impermanent Architecture in the
Southern American Colonies." Winterthur Portfolio
16 (1981): 135-198.
- Upton, Dell. "Vernacular Domestic Architecture in Eighteenth-Century
Virginia." Winterthur Portfolio 17 (1982) : 97-119.
- Sweeney, Kevin M. "Mansion People: Kinship, Class, and
Architecture in Western Massachusetts in the Mid Eighteenth Century."
Winterthur Portfolio 19 (1984) : 231-254.
- Weaver, William Ways. "The Pennsylvania German House:
European Antecedents and New World Forms." Winterthur
Portfolio. 21 (1986): 243-264.
- Zink, Clifford W. "Dutch Framed Houses in New York and
New Jersey." Winterthur Portfolio 22 (1987) : 265-294
- Lovell, Margretta M, "Such Furniture as Will Be Most
Profitable: The Business of Cabinetmaking in Eighteenth-Century
Newport" in Winterthur Portfolio , Vol. 26, Num.
1, p. 27 - 62
- Wells, Camille. "The Planter's Prospect: Houses, Outbuildings,
and Rural Landscapes in Eighteenth-Century Virginia." Winterthur
Portfolio. Vol. 28, p1-31 1993.
- Linebaugh, Donald W., "'All the Annoyances and Inconveniences
of the County': Environmental Factors in the Development of Outbuildings
in Colonial Chesapeake" in Winterthur Portfolio ,
Vol. 29, Num. 1, p. 1 - 18
- Edwards, Jay D. "The Origins of Creole Architecture,"Winterthur
Portfolio 29 (1994): 155-189.
- Wenger, "Jefferson's Designs For Remodeling the Governor's
Palace" Winterthur Portfolio 32: 223-242
- Reinberger, Mark and Elizabeth McLean. "Isaac Norris's
Fairhill: Architecture, Landscape, and Quaker Ideals in a Philadelphia
Colonial Country Seat." Winterthur Portfolio. Vol.
32. Number 4. Winter 1997. Pages 243-274.
- Falk, Cynthia G. "Symbols of Assimilation or Status?:
The Meanings of Eighteenth- Century Houses in Coventry Township,
Chester County, Pennsylvania." Winterthur Portfolio.
30 (1998): 107-134.
- Van Derpool, James Grote. "The Restoration of St. Luke's,
Smithfield, Virginia," in Journal of the Society of Architectural
Historians, Volume XVII, No. 1: pp. 12-23. 1958.
- Collins, Peter "The Origins of Graph Paper as an Influence
Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 21.1-4
- Montgomery, Charles F. "Thomas Banister on the New Sash
Window, Boston, 1701." Journal of the Society of Architectural
Historians 24 (1965): 169-170.
- Schless, Nancy Halverson. "Dutch Influence on the Governorís
Palace, Williamsburg," Journal of the Society of Architectural
Historians 28 (1969): 254-270.
- JSAH 29 (1970).
p.24 "The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, and
the Enlightenment" GLENN PATTON
p.132 "James O'Donnell: An Irish Georgian in America"
- Shank, Wesley I. "Eighteenth-Century Architecture of
the Upper Delaware River Valley Of New Jersey and Pennsylvania,"
Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 31
- Archer, John. "Puritan Town Planning in New Haven",
Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 34
- JSAH 39 (December 1980).
p.286 "Sabine Hall, A Classical Villa in Virginia"
WILLIAM M. S. RASMUSSEN
- Abbot Lowell Cummings, "The Beginnings of Provincial
Renaissance Architecture in Boston, 1960-1725", Journal
of the Society of Architectural Historians, March 1983.
- Waddell, Gene. "The First Monticello." Journal
of the Society of Architectural Historians. XLVI (1987):
- Carl Lounsbury, "An Elegant and Commodious Building:
William Buckland and the Design of the Prince William County
Courthouse", Journal of the Society of Architectural
Historians, volume 46, September 1987. Pages 228-40.
- Lounsbury, Carl R. "Beaux-Arts Ideals and Colonial Reality:
The Reconstruction of Williamsburg's Capitol, 1928-1934,"
in Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians,
Volume XLIX: pp. 373-89. December 1990.
- Yeoman, "British and American Solutions to a Roofing
Problem" Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians
A complete list of the contents of JSAH since 1962 is
- Edwards, Mark R. "Dating Historic Buildings in Lower
Southern Maryland with Dendrochronology." Perspectives
in Vernacular Architecture 1 (1987): 153-156.
- Wells, Perspectives in Vernacular Architecture I.
"18th Century Grist Mills: Some Chester County Examples",
- Wood, "The New England Village as an American Vernacular
Form" Perspectives in Vernacular Architecture 2:
- Touart, Paul, "The Acculturation of German-American
Building Practices of Davidson County, North Carolina" in
Perspectives in Vernacular Architecture, Volume II, 1986,
- Bergengren, Charles, "The Cycle of Transformations in
Schaefferstown, Pennsylvania, Houses" in Perspectives
in Vernacular Architecture, Volume IV, 1991, p.98-107
A complete list of the contents of the PVA is at: http://www.vernaculararchitecture.org/pva.htm
- Brumbaugh, G. Edwin. "Colonial Architecture of the Pennsylvania
Germans." Pennsylvania German Society Meeting. Reading.
23 Oct. 1931. Pennsylvania German Society. XLI (1933).
- "Transplantations in the New World." America
Builds: Source Documents in American Architecture and Planning.
Roth, Leland M. Ed. Philadelphia: Harper & Row, Publishers, 1983.
- Gibbs, James. "A Book of Architecture, Containing Designs
of Buildings and Ornaments," America Builds: Source Documents
in American Architecture And Planning. Ed. Leland Roth. New
York, 1983. 16-22.
- Benjamin, Asher and Daniel Raynerd, "The American Builder's
Companion; or, a New System of Architecture Particularly Adapted
to the Present Style of Building in The United States of America,"
America Builds: Source Documents in American Architecture
and Planning. Ed. Leland Roth. New York, 1983. 39-43.
- Kennedy, Roger G. Mission: The History and Architecture
of the Missions of North America. Houghton Mifflin Company.
New York, NY. 1993.
- Bernard L. Herman, Architecture and Rural Life in Central
Delaware 1700-1900. Knoxville : The University of Tennessee
- Beiswanger, William L. "Jefferson's Sources From Antiquity
in the Design of Monticello" The Magazine Antiques
v. 144 (July 1993) p. 58-69.
- Chambers, S. Allen Jr. "Poplar Forest, Jefferson's Hermitage"
The Magazine Antiques (July 1993).
- Horat, Heinz. "Thomas Jefferson: Intellectual Architecture"
Architectura v.19 no. 1 (1989) p. 62-75.
- Palladio, Andrea. transl. Robert Tavernor and Richard Schofield.
The Four Books on Architecture. Cambridge: The MIT Press,
To get an idea of the form of reading responses
from previoous years, you might look at some from some other courses
[X Y Z],
or from this one in 1999.
last rev. = 7 Feb. 2001