Plan of Philadelphia Holme, Thomas and William Penn 1682
Slate Roof House Second Street and Sansom Porteus, John 1687 and 1699, built between dem. 1867 pj_display.cfm/17115 Originally used by William Penn before being turned into a boarding house. The leaded casement window panes characterized Medieval forms, an untraditional Philadelphian architectural form (PGT 21-22).
Wyck 6026 Germantown Avenue, Germantown [?] Hans Milan 1690; 1824 Strickland addition ext. pj_display.cfm/20369 "Example of early farmhouse enlarged and remodeled into country house" (PP 279).
Gloria Dei/ Old Swedes' Church 929 S. Water Street, near Front and Christian, Queen's Village [?] Rev. Andrew Rudman from the drawings of Thomas Sully 1698-1700, wings added 1703-5 ext. pj_display.cfm/16964 As the oldest Philadelphia church, its obvious English elements combine with a steep roof and small belfry to give it originality (PGT 25).
Christ Church Kearsley, Dr. John, spire: Robert Smith 1727-44, spire 1750-54
Stenton Courtland and 18th [?] James Logan 1728-34 ext. pj_display.cfm/16751 The "restrained lines" differ from the decorative Georgian homes like Mount Pleasant. The symmetry of the façade helps to demonstrate such lines, and the segmental arches and plain door represent a Renaissance approach to architecture in Philadelphia (PGT 36).
Pennsylvania State House (Independence Hall) Hamilton, Andrew and Edward Wooley 1732-35, 1749-51 (tower) (R:1731-53)
Grumblethorpe 5267 Germantown Ave. [?] John Wister 1744 ext. pj_display.cfm/9584 Grumblethorpe stands as typical mid-eighteenth-century Germantown architecture, incorporating rural German architectural elements such as the two entrances to the building. "Initially a country house, Grumblethorpe is a fine example of Delaware Valley vernacular domestic architecture" (PP 268).
Whitby Hall Kingsessing, 1601 South 58th St. [?] Addition made by Colonel James Coultas 1754 dem. early 20th century pj_display.cfm/78864 This country house had many "city" elements, such as elongated walls. The house was "pretentiously finished," based on the brick trimmed and framed windows. Inside, the house was equally decorated (PP 194).

 

St. Peter's Church Third and Pine Streets Smith, Robert 1758-61 ext. pj_display.cfm/20378 Originally built to ease the mass of people who attened Christ's Church. A Georgian church, plain compared to Christ's, it had pews that maximized privacy. The unusual location of the pulpit, along with the fanciful organ, set St. Peter's apart from other churches (PGT 30).
Mount Pleasant East Fairmount Park, Mount Pleasant drive [?] Cap. John Macpherson 1761 ext. pj_display.cfm/20389 The plan, common to the South, "exhibits the basic elements of the Palladian five-part plan." The symmetry "seems to receive particular attention," and the owner used the house to gain a position in Philadelphia high-society. Like the Georgian design of Cliveden, many details are packed into the space (PGT 35).
Cliveden/ The Chew House 6401 Germantown Ave. [?] Chief Justice Chew 1764 ext. pj_display.cfm/20558 Much like Mount Pleasant, Cliveden has many architectural details in a small space. Like many Georgian forms of the time, Cliveden "received its most ornate expression; a profusion of quoins, pediments, pilasters, and cornices are included wherever the space will allow." The gray stone on Cliveden differs from other Georgian Homes of the time, however, and "the most notable feature of the Chew mansion, however, is the spacious front hall" (PGT 29, 35).
Powel House 244 South 3rd St. [?] Charles Steadman 1765 ext. pj_display.cfm/18198 The Powel House used an embellished form of the "simple two-room plan" which was "capable of further expansion in a variety of smaller rooms strung along one side of the lot to the rear and lighted by windows facing the narrow court thus formed." The house also featured high quality art from Philadelphia wood carvers (PGT 33).
Carpenters' Hall 320-322 Chestnut St. Smith, Robert 1770-75 ext. pj_display.cfm/72092 The design shows a "heavy interpretation" of the Georgian style "in the treatment of cupola, cornice, windows, and doorway." The use of Greek Cross shows the influence of the Renaissance on Smith (PGT 37).
The Woodlands, William Hamilton house 3900 Woodland Ave., Philadelphia, PA [?] Andrew Hamilton 1786-89 (W: 1788-89) ext. pj_display.cfm/20370 The significant exterior changes made to the Woodlands intended to give it a more advanced European look. Few private homes in the north had used the giant portico. It makes its late Georigan features explicit. Noteable are the large pillasters of the north facade and the extensive use of rounded, curved shapes in the plan (PGT 41).
Franklin Row/ Court, Sims-Bisland House 228 South 9th St. Mills, Robert 1787-88 [?] ext. pj_display.cfm/112297 Houses designed to resist fire; the wooden elements in each room did not touch wooden parts of the house. Trap doors were installed on the roof to aid residents in wetting the roof in case of a nearby fire (PGT 158).
House for Robert Morris South side of Chestnut Street between Seventh and Eighth L'Enfant, Pierre Charles 1794, c. dem. 1800 pj_display.cfm/16574 L'Enfant caused the building to fall so far behind schedule that the expenses of the building became too high for Morris. Never finished, Morris sold parts of the building to satisfy debts. The Mansard roof adds a french element to its Federal style; this was the first building to feature a Mansard roof in America. It equalled the President's house in overall magnificence (PGT 44-45).
Center House, Penn. Hosptial 4401 Market St. Evans, David Jr. 1794-1805 ext. pj_display.cfm/112428 Marble pilasters on front façade contrast with red brickwork (TBW 22).
Façade monumentality increased through use of shallow pillasters. The balustrade marked the skylight over the surgial amphitheater. Circular in shape, the balustrade, which crowned the roof, was "the first of its kind in an American building" (PGT 51).
Stephen Girard's Bank/ First Bank of the United States Third Street below Chestnut Blodgett, Samuel Jr. 1795-97 ext. pj_display.cfm/20552 The building uses a "giant order" in its façade. A French sculptor worked on the Corinthian capitals and pediment. The "house" look of the bank shows Renaissance influence, hence the term "banking houses." Blodgett originally wanted the bank designed purely in marble, but brick was used for the back and sides in the final design (PGT 40).
Pump House Center Square Latrobe, B. H. 1799-1800 (TBW) dem. 1827-8 pj_display.cfm/17764 Geometrical designs inspired by Ledoux. Engine was coal burning and had wooden boilers (TBW 22).
Also helped to establish the Greek Revival in Philadelphia and the United States. It also cultivated a sense of public trust in mechanical devices (PGT 58).
Bank of Pennsylvania 134-36 S. 2nd, above Walnut St., Philadelphia, PA Latrobe, B. H. 1799-1801 (R, W: 1798-1800) dem. 1871 (?) pj_display.cfm/17750 Establishes Latrobe as "real" architect. "The first American building to make use of the Greek orders." "At the core of the style É is the 'stripped' classic manner" (PGT 59).
Burd House SW corner of Chestnut St. and South 9th St. Latrobe, B. H. 1801-02 dem. 1865 pj_display.cfm/16560 The severe lines on the house challenged the nature of Philadelphian construction. The prominent inset arches show adherence to the Federal Style. Latrobe leaves out elements that he typically uses in other buildings, such as free-standing columns and domed rotundas (PGT 60).
Arch Street Friend's Meeting House 330 Arch St. Biddle, Owen 1803-05, 1810-11 (west addition) ext. pj_display.cfm/20998 The plain design has a three-room interior. Believed to be the largest Quaker Meeting House in the world (TBW 23).
The Penn Academy of Fine Arts Chestnut St. (North Side, between 10 St and 11 St.) Dorsey, John 1805-06 (PGT), 1805-7 (TBW) burned 1845 pj_display.cfm/17748 The first art museum in America, and perhaps one of the first museums in the world constructed solely for housing art. Flat walls and round-topped windows show use of Federal Style, but the low dome and deep porch with ionic columns shows influence of a Roman Revival. A new found interest in archaological findings contributed to the use of sculpture (PGT 56).
Masonic Hall 225-231 Chestnut St Strickland, William 1809-11 dem. 1853 after 1819 fire pj_display.cfm/17746 One of the first American buildings in the Gothic style (TBW 24).
Thus, it helped to establish the Gothic Revival in Philadelphia. The statued buttressed, which were made of marble, contrasted the brick walls, and the "tall spine suggests that Strickland may have turned to ecclesiastical rather than secular sources for his models" (PGT 77).
Fairmount Bridge (Upper Ferry) Spring Garden St / FAIRMOUNT AVE (over Schuylkill River) Wernwag, Louis and Robert Mills 1809-12 burned 1838 pj_display.cfm/17742 This bridge, the longest single arched bridge that had been built in the world, improved access from Western counties into Philadelphia (PGT 63).
Fairmount Waterworks Fairmount on the Schuylkill River Graff, Frederick C. 1812-22 (PGT), 1819-22 (TBW) reconstructed pj_display.cfm/20553 Replaced Latrobe's Pump House. Turned into a recreational park area and drew many visitors (rowing events also held here). Classic temple offices are "among the best examples of the Roman Revival in Philadelphia" (PGT 63).
Second Bank of the United States Strickland, William 1818-24
Eastern State Penitentiary Haviland, John 1823-29, R 1823-25
Penn. Institution for the Deaf and Dumb 1401-1435 Pine St. / 320 South Broad St. Haviland, John 1824-25 ext. pj_display.cfm/141691 The U-shaped design is a-typical. Also, "the plan is the product of the special requirements of the institution rather than of any attempt to imitate the antigue models" (PGT 70).
Naval Asylum Grays Ferry Ave. and 24 St. Strickland, William 1827-33 (PGT), 1826-33 (TBW) ext. pj_display.cfm/17579 Serves as one of America's largest hospitals in the Greek Revival Style. "Iron 'piazzas' of the wings É were the product of the nineteenth century's interest in the healthful effects of fresh air and the search for new materials that would be strong, economical and, above all, impervious to fire" (PGT 66).
Philadelphia Merchant's Exchange 141-145 South 3rd St. / 225-235 Walnut St. / 230-242 Dock St. Strickland, William 1832-34 ext. pj_display.cfm/17579 At the top of the Exchange stands a Choragic Monument to Lysicrates. Italian sculptors carved the capitals. The unusual curving façade of the Corinthian Order "recalls John Soane's circular temple motif at the Bank of England in London" (TBW 26).
Philadelphia County Prison 10th St. and Reed St. Walter, Thomas U. 1832-35 dem. 1963 pj_display.cfm/17575 Solved sanitation problems by placing hydrants and waterclosets in each cell. The plan was based on Haviland's Eastern State Penitentiary. The design "derived É from the military rather than the religious architecture of the Middle Ages," which is known as the "Castellated Mode" (PGT 80).
Girard College Walter, Thomas U. 1833-47 (W: 1833-48)

Laurel Hill Cemetery 3822 Ridge Ave. Notman, John 1836 (PGT),1838 (TBW) ext. pj_display.cfm/20393 The Church structure in the cemetery acts as an early Philadelphian attempt to build an archaologically correct Gothic structure (TBW 27).
The park's beauty lead people to use it for recreation rather than mourning. "One of the three American cemeteries known especially for their rural beauty" (PGT 87).
Athenaeum of Philadelphia 219 S. 6th Notman, John 1845-47 ext image_gallery.cfm/20562 AGP: Italianate palazzo, private library, inspired by London Athenaeum Club, brownstone
TBW: [Remarks same as AGP]
3C: London antecedents Òstripped of columns and pilasters in favor of the articulated windows and bold cornices of the Italian Renaissance.Ó
3C: NotmanÕs planned marble façade changed at last minute to less-expensive red sandstone, a newly fashionable material.
Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul Logan Sq. Lebrun, Napoleon and Notman, John 1846-64 ext image_gallery.cfm/20816 AGP: Antebellum Roman Catholic Cathedral supporting new Irish immigrant population, one of the nationÕs first cathedral, devised by parish priests, reworked by Notman, brownstone
TBW: Palladian façade and dome evolved by Notman in association with John T. Mahoney.
TBW: ÒOne of the grandest nineteenth-century statements in the vocabulary of the Italian Renaissance.
TBW: Lebrun supervised construction of interior.

 

St. James The Less John E. Carver / G. G. Place 1846-49, W 1846-50
St. Marks Church 1625 Locust Notman, John 1848-51 ext pj_display.cfm/20379 AGP: Ecclesiological Gothic, asymmetric plan (tower to one side) High Church
TBW: ÒOne of the most successful examples of the archaeological phase of the Gothic Revival in this countryÉÓ
TBW: Notman continues his Brownstone trend.
Jayne Building 84 Chestnut St. Johnston, Wm. L 1849- dem. pj_display.cfm/66616 TBW: First proto-skyscraper in America. Ten-story granite building with terminal tower, probably designed by T.U. Walter.
3C: Also noteworthy for a successful use of Gothic styling in such a vertical context. Large, functional show windows form a visual base, veriticals emphasized by recessed spandrels and resolved by Gothic arches, occuli, and quatrefoils.
Academy of Music Broad and Locust Lebrun, Napoleon 1853-57 ext pj_display.cfm/20564 AGP: Modeled after MilanÕs Teatro della Scala opera house Òacoustically felicitous"
TBW: ÒPlain brick exterior ornamented principally by a series of shallow arches and which exhibits a very free use of classical formsÉÓ
TBW: Interior regarded as very early example of Neo-Baroque preferred by the French architect LeBrun.
W. Arch St. Presbyterian Church 18th and Arch [?] DeNegre, Joseph 1855 ca. ext pj_display.cfm/112342 3C: Tatum: ÒMost elaborate example of Italianate Revivals in Philadelphia.Ó Dome and eclecticism grounds for critical praise.
3C: Bears striking resemblance to St. PaulÕs Cathedral in London.
PP: ÒCongregation bought most elegant/imposing architecture it could findÉÓ
Smythe Buildings 101-111 Arch Street Unknown 1855-57 ext ho_display.cfm/753404 AGP: Commercial building, notable cast-iron front
Maxwell Mansion 200 West Tulpehocken St Hoxie, Joseph 1859-ca. ext pj_display.cfm/12258 PP: ÒExcellent example of a picturesque eclectic suburban villaÉÓ All interior elements ordered from a catalog, entire garden copied from an 1859 gardening journal.
AGP: High Victorian Gallimaufry. High tower, high chimneys, Flemish gables, mansards, Gothic arches.
Episcopal Hospital Lehigh and Front Sloan, Samuel 1860-74 ext pj_display.cfm/17546 TBW: ÒNorman Style,Ó example of C19 practice of Òhanging the obvious externals of a historical style upon a plan dictated by a Renaissance balance and regularity.Ó
TBW: Design drawn from Hopital Lariboisiere in Paris.
Masonic Temple Broad and Filbert Windrim, James H. 1863-73 ext pj_display.cfm/17394 AGP: Romanesque Revival, notable interiors
Union League Clubhouse Broad and Sansom Fraser, John 1864-65 ext pj_display.cfm/17390 AGP: ÒCurious brown clubhouseÉas distinctive a building as its decade can show in America.Ó
TBW: Curving exterior stairway, tower, and mansard roof a good example of French Renaissance.
PSFS 7th and Walnut Hutton, Addison with additions by Furness 1868-69 ext pj_display.cfm/17179 TBW: Romanesque.
AFF: Confusing lineage: Ò[Furness, Evans and Co.] work of 1897-98 was an addition to Addison HuttonÕs original building of 1868, which Hutton had extended in 1883-86. George Howe in turn remodeled the bank in 1930.Ó Hutton designed ÒextensionÓ in 1883-86, Furness designed Òaddition,Ó Howe remodeled. Difference between extension and addition?
Rodeph Shalom Synagogue Broad and Mount Vernon Fraser, Furness, and Hewitt 1870-71 dem. pj_display.cfm/145548 TBW: Synagogues mentioned as problematic type: ÒThe nearest approach to [the synagogue problem] is in Rodef ShalomÉwith a bulbous dome, a study by Mr. Hewitt from the Arabic, particularly the style of the CalifÕs Tombs outside Cairo.Ó
Philadelphia City Hall John MacArthur 1871-1901
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts 1400-50 Cherry St., Philadelphia, PA Furness & Hewitt 1871-76 ext. pj_display.cfm/20387
Upenn College Hall 3450 Woodland Ave. Richards, Thomas W. 1871-72 ext pj_display.cfm/74439 AGP: High Victorian Gothic: contrasting materials, finials, pointed arches, sloping roofs, gabled dormers, PennÕs first West Philadelphia building.
TBW: Distinctive green stone from local quarry.
TBW: Each professor to have office next to their own classroom. Probably best-planned university building in the country at the time.
Entrance Pavilions - Phila. Zoo 34th and Girard Furness & Hewitt 1873-75 ext pj_display.cfm/16452 TBW: ÒRed-brick with half-timber, slate roofs.
Guarantee Safe Deposit & Trust Co. 320 Chestnut St. Furness, Frank 1875- dem. pj_display.cfm/2346 TBW: Divided entry theoretically separates entrance from exit. Materials have strong color contrasts, copious iron work.
Hockley House 235 S. 21st St Furness, Frank 1875-? ext pj_display.cfm/13644 AGP: Steep mansard roof, gables, jutting bay on second story, pointed arches; embodies Victorian Eclecticism with relish
PP: ÒVariations of colors and textures accented by the sculptural plasticity of carved brownstone and corbelled brick.Ó Also of note are the chimney brickwork and carved tympana.
Horticultural Hall Belmont Ave, W. Fairmount Park Schwarzmann, Hermann 1875-76 dem. pj_display.cfm/17192 TBW: Saracenic architecture, once gaily polychromatic, now rusted.
3C: ÒA gigantic greenhouse, enlivened by polychromatic Moorish arches, chosen more for their picturesqueness than for content.Ó
Centennial Exhibition, Memorial Hall North Concourse, W. Fairmount Park Schwarzmann, Hermann 1875-76 ext pj_display.cfm/20390 TBW: In the modern Renaissance style; granite, glass, and iron.
Provident Life and Trust Company Frank Furness 1876-79 (W:1879)
Library Co. of Philadelphia Locust and Juniper Furness, Frank 1880- dem. pj_display.cfm/17174 TBW: Oldest circulating library in America.
Broad Street Station Market and West City Square Furness & Hewitt and John M. Wilson 1881- dem. pj_display.cfm/17945 TBW: Remarkably flowing plan, modern, showed no symmetry. Planning was purely functional.
Richard L. Ashhurst house Overbrook, PA Wilson Eyre 1885, c.
Widener Mansion 1200 N Broad St. Hale, Willis 1886- dem. pj_display.cfm/11237 3C: HaleÕs construction, much influenced by Frank Furness, exemplifies the Victorian penchant for adornment as well as the general friendly capitalist competition amongst Philadelphia architects of the time. This large city house, with its conical-roofed towers and continuous curving walls, expresses Victorian wealth, individualism, and success.
Upenn College Library 34th and Walnut Furness, Frank 1888-90 ext pj_display.cfm/20396 AGP: Studiously asymmetrical design, the original library for the entire university, notable use of color, sense of weight, and emphasis on natural elements. One of PhillyÕs most notable buildings.
Philadelphia Art Club Broad&Chancellor Sts., Philadelphia, PA Day 1889-90 pj_display.cfm/17913 ¥acknowledges both late Victorian picturesque form and Venetian Gothic additive growth (3C 429)
¥DayÕs extensive use of architectural ornament (PP139)
Germantown Cricket Club Manheim and Morris in Germantown McKim, Mead, and White 1890- ext pj_display.cfm/17167 TBW: ÒFinest equipped cricket grounds in this countryÉÓ In the idiom of McKim specifically.
Drexel Institute 32nd and Chestnut Wilson Brothers 1890-91 ext pj_display.cfm/10673 AGP: ÒRenaissance block similar in its articulation of masses and in some of its details to SchwarzmannÕs Memorial HallÉÓ
AGP: Lavish terra-cotta, enormous arched entrance, central court as main feature: ÒIt is a soaring, four-story high, sixty-five-foot-square, galleried and arcaded, light-filled space elaborately ornamented in red tile, white brick, and pink marble with wrought-iron balustrades.Ó
Philadelphia & Reading Terminal 1-55 12th St Wilson Brothers 1891-93 ext pj_display.cfm/20382 AGP (on the exterior): ÒIneffably grandÓ; heavily and beautifully worked exterior mix of terra cotta and brick coursework. Notable Òarcaded loggia with paired, banded, colonettes,Ó balustrades throughout.
PP (on the train shed): Sole surviving single span train shed in America, although it was smaller than the Broad street stationÕs train shed. A feat of engineering.
3C (on the exterior): ÒÉbroad, severe Renaissance scheme with a heavily rusticated base, above which rose pink brick walls decorated with cream-colored terra-cottaÉcapped by a heavy copper corniceÉÓ
1115-41 Market St., Philadelphia, PA Wilson Brothers & Co. 1891-93 (1889-92 3C) pj_display.cfm/20382 ¥ Special in its use of a composite Renaissance style in a railroad terminal (PP 138)
¥ Immense span and logistics of the roof of train shed introduces Ògrand synthesisÓ of engineering and architecture (3C 434)
¥Built in response to increasing competition for passenger traffic (3C 434)
University of Pennsylvania Museum 33rd and South Eyre, Wilson Jr. and Day, Frank Miles, and Cope, Walter and Stewardson, John 1893- ext pj_display.cfm/17180 AGP: Eyre, Day, and Cope & Stewardson all united their ideas and styles to make this building. EyreÕs design based on Northern Italian Romanesque forms, heavily landscaped courtyard, Japanese gate, tiled roof, mosaic panels, rough brick with marble accents throughout
TBW: Lombard Romanesque, textured walls, well-placed sculpture, interesting colored marble inlaid ornament.
3C: ÒInspired by the architecture of north Italy of the twelfth to the fourteenth centuries, Eyre, Day, Cope, and Stewardson sketched simple walls of rough brick with wide mortar joints, coarsely textured and forceful. There could be no more direct expression of the unconventional collection of artifactsÉthan this strikingly unclassical desin.Ó
3C: ÒÉarchitects relied on fenestration to establish rhythm of solid and void that is usually impossible in museum buildingÉresult is a conventional mural architecture, humanly scaledÉÓ
3220-3260 South St., Philadelphia, PA Cope&Stewardson, Eyre, Jr., Day & Bro. 1893-99 (1926-28 PP) pj_display.cfm/17180 ¥ cityÕs finest Creative Eclectic building (PP 201): Italian rotundas, Lombard wall arcades and porches, Renaissance loggia of central section, Japanese gateways (PGT 121)
¥ resolved the Òarchetypal problemÓ of Philadelphia design, the balance between monumentality and intimacy through use of the local brick (3C 452)
¥ strikingly unclassical design (3C 452)
¥ panels of tile set into wall surfaces provide decorative accent without reference to a specific style; unstyled simplicity in approaching the vernacular (3C 452)
Harrison Bldg. 15th and Market Cope, Walter, and Stewardson, John 1895- dem. pj_display.cfm/15749 TBW: Francois Premier style. Graceful roof. Steel frame construction.
Horticultural Hall S. Broad St. Day, Frank Miles 1895- dem. pj_display.cfm/103553 TBW: ÒA graceful Florentine façade in Pompeian brick, with frescoes in color under the eaves.Ó
University of Pennsylvania Men's Dormitories 37th and Woodland Cope, Walter, and Stewardson, John 1895-1902 ext pj_display.cfm/17169 AGP: ÒJacobethanÓ (Jacobean + Elizabethan, or to put it another way, a collaboration of medieval and classical forms.) ÒStylistic eccentricities seem to foreshadow postmodernismÓ
3700-3712 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA Cope & Stewardson, Hutton 1894-1911 (1895-1902 PP, 1895 PGT) pj_display.cfm/17169 ¥ Expression of Creative Eclecticism in a Jacobean style (PGT 119)
¥ Òa series of architectural adventuresÓ (PP 201): mellow bricks set off with white trim, courts various shapes and sizes (PGT 119)

Pennsylvania Institution for the Instruction of the Blind 6333 Malvern Ave, Philadelphia, PA Cope & Stewardson 1897-1900 pj_display.cfm/17164 ¥rare and outstanding use of the Mission Style in Eastern U.S. (PP213)
Land Title Building 100-118 S.Broad St, Philadelphia, PA Burnham & Co. 1897-98 pj_display.cfm/17284 part of the development of the Òcommercial styleÓ at the turn of the 19th c.; curtain wall (PP132)
John Wanamaker Philadelphia Store 13th&Market Sts, Philadelphia, PA Burnham & Co. 1902-10 pj_display.cfm/20372 ¥Renaissance revival design principles incorporated within modern steel construction (PGT 123)
¥Egyptian motifs on Market East side (PGT 200)
¥Great arches at 9th&11th Sts.; modified Tuscan distyle entrance in antis on each façade (PP147)
¥At the time, was largest building in the world assigned for retail merchandising (PGT 200)
Jacob Reed's Sons Store 1424-26 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, PA Price & McLanahan 1903-04 pj_display.cfm/15242 ¥ First use of concrete in a non-industrial Philadelphia building (3C 472)
¥ Immense Palladian motif in a new context; creates arched entrance (3C 472)
¥ Giant recessed arch entrance on monolithic Byzantine columns (PP142)
¥ Reinforced concrete building in the eclectic style (PP142)
¥ Mercer tile decorations depicting various tasks of the clothing industry (3C 472)
Samuel P. Wetherill House 1743 Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA Day & Bro. 1906 pj_display.cfm/17277 ¥ anomaly of Rittenhouse Square & beyond; an Italian renaissance style building amidst English-inspired contemporaries (DTB )
¥ white limestone palazzo (DTB )
Free Library of Philadelphia 1901 Vine St., Philadelphia, PA Trumbauer 1917-25 (1912-23 DTB) pj_display.cfm/17254 ¥ adaptation of the 18th c. French classicism of Place de la Concorde in Paris (DTB 192)
Philadelphia Museum of Art 2600-2698 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy, Philadelphia, PA Trumbauer, Zantzinger, Borie & Medary 1919-28 pj_display.cfm/13233 ¥Greek temple form (PGT 126), but with more massive Roman proportions (museum website)
¥Exceptional example of 20th c. eclectic neo-classical design (PP 236)
Arthur Newbold house Laverock, PA Mellor, Meigs & Howe 1924-25 (R:1919-24, S:1925)
Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia 10th&Chestnut Sts., Philadelphia, PA Cret 1925 (1932-34 PGT, 1940-42 PP) pj_display.cfm/15392 ¥ Free adaptation of classical form (PGT 129-130); retains the spirit, but made for 20th c.
¥ Example of CretÕs stripped classicism, continuing the design of the 2nd Bank of the U.S. (PP128)
N.W. Ayer & Son, Inc 204 12 S.7th St., Philadelphia, PA Bencker 1927-29 pj_display.cfm/1997 ¥ art deco mode integrates scultpure with design of high-rise building (PP61)
¥ steel skeleton; brick curtain walls faced with dressed limestone ashlar; notable brass sculpture on entrance and in lobby: 2 carved 3-story limestone figures on facades (PP61)
Philadelphia Savings Fund Society 12th and Market Sts., Philadelphia, PA Howe & Lescaze 1929-32 ext. pj_display.cfm/20385
Market Street National Bank Market&East Penn Square, Philadelphia, PA Ritter & Shay 1930 pj_display.cfm/17882 ¥ Art Deco architecture with Mayan-inspired elaboration (PP 133)
¥ yellow brick curtain wall with yellow terra cotta lower stories and polychromatic terra cotta trim (PP 133)
¥ radical placement of banking room on second floor, and the first floor given to shops (3C 533)
¥ setback skyscraper with a pre-Columbian step pyramid contrast to the "technocratic drabness" of its contemporaries (3C 534)
Carl Mackley Houses M&Bristol Sts., Juniata Park, PA Kastner & Stonorov 1933-34 (1932-34 3C) pj_display.cfm/20810 ¥ Earliest modern example of domestic group housing in the international style in America (PGT 133, PP332)
¥ Imports then current European ideas of "sunlight, space, and verdure"; strip windows and pilotis and courtyards (3C 545); informal parks, a generous pool (PGT, 133)
¥ GovÕt-sponsored planned community with high standard of living (PGT 133); more the exception than the model (3C 545)

Mercantile Library
A. Newton Richards Medical Building, U. of Penna. Louis I. Kahn 1957-61 (H:1957-64)
Mill Creek Housing (Two and Three Story Units)
Penn Center Development
Youth Study Center
Beth Sholom Synagogue
Lankenau Hospital
Library Hall, American Philosophical Society (re-creation)
Vanna Venturi house 8330 Millman St., Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, PA Venturi & Short 1962-64 (S:1962) ext. pj_display.cfm/17089
Guild House Venturi, Rauch & Assoc. 1960-63 (H:1962-66)
Elenor Donnelly Erdman Hall Dormitories
United Fund Headquarters/United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania
UPENN Parking Garage
Municipal Services Building
Society Hill Apartments and Town Houses
Franklin Court
Central Atlantic Home Office of the Prudential Insurance Co.
Market Street East
Carver Court Housing Development
Samuel Genel Residence
Moore School at the University of Pennsylvania (addition)
Penn's Landing, The Great Plaza
Mr. & Mrs. Mario J. Romanach House
Mrs. Thomas Raeburn White House
Independence Mall
International House
David Goddard Biology Laboratory
Pennsylvania State Office Building
Adler House
Parkway House
Schuylkill Falls Public Housing
Margaret Esherick House
North Pennsylvania Visiting Nurses Association Headquarters
PennÕs Landing
Philadelphia International Airport Terminal Building
UPENN School of Engineering and Applied Science, Levin Hall
Federal Office Building, US Courthouse and General Services Administration
Robin Hood Dell
INA Tower
UPENN Medical Center
2 Logan Square
Bell Atlantic Tower
Blue Cross Building
Commerce Square
Four Seasons Hotel
INA Tower
Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
Mellon Bank Center
National Constitution Center
One Liberty Place
Two Liberty Place


combo3.html; last rev. 9 Dec. 04.