Places in Time: Project 1: Anna Blinn and Claire Mahler
A Glimpse into the History of the 401 Block of Arch Street, Philadelphia.
The north side of Arch St. between Fourth and Fifth streets has evolved from residential, to commercial, to industrial and finally to governmental.
This site examines the state of this block over a course of two centuries with particular emphasis on the corner lot, #401 pictured below as it appeared in
The history of the block is broken into three sections:
The Residents and thier Buildings.
Here the individual properties of the block are examined via historical documents and records at local holdings in Philadelphia. This section also contains specific information about the development of 401 Arch St., the address pictured above in 1855. Linked to this page is a maps supplement that follows the block chronilogically from 1858 to 2004.
The Philadelphia Mint. The U.S. Mint has occupied the entire north side of Arch St. between Fourth and Fifth streets from 1968 to the present. This section describes the various locations of the Mint that preceded its Arch St. location as well as
The Surrounding City.