In 1795, the Ambassador to Holland, Francis van Berckell, resided in 728 Market Street (the number would have been significantly lower at the time). By 1801 Benjamin Chew, the same Chew of Cliveden, established his law office and winter house in the same building (Jackson 211). Other than these hints, the history of 728 Market Street is difficult to trace until it combines with 726 in 1891. One Transfer Sheet exists for the site. it depicts the passing of the property from Anna Bloodgood to Robert Morris III from the will of Anna Bloodgood on March 10th, 1865. Though the Transfer Sheet states that she died in 1865, Anna Bloodgood does not appear in the city directories between 1858 and 1866. Also, the 1862 McElroy lists a Robert Morris as the owner of business at 728 Market Street: thus, this would mean that he owned the property before Anna Bloodgood died.
Last revised on 24 October 2005, MG Feedback