Welcome to the Sophomore Planning Process! This process provides opportunities for you to reflect holistically on your experiences thus far and to articulate your goals for your undergraduate studies in general and your major in particular. It gives you a chance to think through your plans for studying abroad, for electives, for career exploration and for co-curricular commitments. And it requires you to take stock of your academic progress and make plans to complete your major and all other degree requirements by college deadlines.
For an overview, check out the Sophomore Planning Prezi.
Required components are available in your Student Center in BIONIC under "Sophomore Plan." Take these next steps to complete each component:
(1) Complete your Major Work Plan
- Deciding Your Major and Completing a Major Work Plan
- Student Instructions for Completing the Major Work Plan
(2) Fill out your College-Wide Requirements Plan
- Planning to Complete College-Wide Requirements and Choosing Electives
- Student Instructions for Completing the College-Wide Requirements Plan
(3) Draft and upload your Resume
(4) write and submit your Sophomore Reflection Essay
- Writing Your Sophomore Reflection Essay
To get started, students are encouraged to make use of the Resources for Planning listed below, as well as advice and assistance from faculty and staff.
In particular, students are encouraged to talk informally one-on-one with their faculty adviser (if they have been working with a faculty adviser since their first year) or with their dean any time after the third week of the fall semester.
Deadlines for students who hope to study abroad:
Even students who have until April to complete the process might choose to do so in the fall in order to take advantage of major advising before the spring semester. Others who are weighing the pros and cons of several different majors might find it useful to wait to complete the process in the spring.