Contact Us
Undergraduate Dean's Office
Eugenia Chase Guild Hall
Lower Level
101 N. Merion Ave.
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
Phone: (610)526-5375
Fax: (610)526-7560

Office Hours
9am - 5pm
Monday - Friday

Extensions Beyond the End of Finals, Deferred Exams, and Incompletes


Extensions before Finals

Students who have significant periods of illness, injury, or other emergency near the end of the semester should work with their dean and faculty to develop a schedule in advance that will allow them to complete their work. 

Return to top of page

Extensions during Finals

In the case of serious illness or some other emergency that arises during the finals period itself, students should contact their dean as soon as possible.  The dean will make every effort to contact the student's faculty member.  If necessary, a student may be entitled to be granted an extension or have an examination deferred by their dean.

Extensions on written work will normally only be for a few days.  Most commonly, the professor will still be able to submit the student's grade on time, and no grade of Incomplete is necessary.

Return to top of page

Beyond the End of Finals

Extensions beyond the last day of finals are very rare and subject to intense scrutiny, because the last day of finals marks the end of the semester and is one of the most significant dates in the academic calendar. 

Return to top of page

Deferred Exams

In contrast, a student who has had an exam deferred must normally take that exam on the deferred exam date. Deferred exams are usually given:

  • From the fall: the Sunday before classes begin in January.
  • From the spring: the Sunday before classes begin in September.
  • For students able to travel to Bryn Mawr, there may also be a deferred exam date in early June.

Return to top of page


When necessary, students will be assigned a grade of Incomplete. Once the work is complete and the professor has submitted a grade, the registrar replaces the Incomplete with the grade. The Incomplete is merely a temporary grade. There is no permanent record on the transcript of this temporary grade.

Note: Students seeking an Incomplete in a Haverford course must abide by all Haverford regulations and deadlines. See Haverford's Academic Regulation Guidebook for more information.

Return to top of page