Contact Us
Undergraduate Dean's Office
Eugenia Chase Guild Hall
Lower Level
101 N. Merion Ave.
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
Phone: (610)526-5375
Fax: (610)526-7560

Office Hours
9am - 5pm
Monday - Friday

Withdrawing from a Course


General Information

After a student has confirmed her registration during the second week of the semester, she is normally expected to complete all her classes with the exception of a 5th class dropped within the first three weeks. A student may not withdraw from a course simply because she is not doing well in it, does not like it, or does not need it. However, circumstances may arise that make it unreasonable to expect a student to complete her entire course load.

  • Students may be permitted to withdraw from a course when their ability to complete the course is seriously impaired by unforeseen circumstances beyond their control. These may include:  significant illness, a family emergency, or some other serious problem in a student’s life that has a significant impact on the ability to complete academic work. In this case, students should talk to their dean, who may do one or more of the following:
      • make sure students are making appropriate use of on-campus resources.
      • ask for medical documentation.
      • consult with students’ faculty to determine which course is most appropriate to withdraw from.
  • Withdrawals are sometimes permitted in the event that students find they have been placed in a class for which they lacked adequate preparation.
  • Withdrawals always require consent of both the dean and the instructor.

Return to top of page


Bryn Mawr College policy precludes withdrawing from a course after the final work for the course is due. If the course is at Penn, Swarthmore, or Haverford and that institution has an earlier deadline, the earlier deadline applies.  For example, the deadline to withdraw from a Haverford course is the last day of classes.

Return to top of page


  • The course will be listed, but “WD” will be recorded instead of a grade. 
  • The grade of “WD” will not affect your grade point average. 
  • The course will not count towards any requirements or the 32 units needed for graduation.

Return to top of page

Progress towards the Degree

In making the decision to withdraw from a course, students should talk with their deans about how to make up for the lost credit and should keep in mind the rules regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Return to top of page