Contact Us
Undergraduate Dean's Office
Eugenia Chase Guild Hall
Lower Level
101 N. Merion Ave.
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
Phone: (610)526-5375
Fax: (610)526-7560

Office Hours
9am - 5pm
Monday - Friday


Summer study

Summer study and transfer credit
Summer study at Bryn Mawr
Summer study abroad sponsored by Bryn Mawr
Other summer study abroad

Summer study at other institutions

Bryn Mawr students frequently take classes during the summer at other institutions.  They may do so for a variety of reasons.  Students interested in transferring the credits earned towards their Bryn Mawr degree should consult the transfer credit policies.

Summer study at Bryn Mawr

Through the Russian Language Institute, Bryn Mawr also offers intensive language studies in Russian, from the elementary to the advanced level. These courses are divided into two four-week sessions. The RLI is coeducational and counts among its students undergraduates from Bryn Mawr and elsewhere, as well as graduate students and teachers.
Grades in summer school classes at Bryn Mawr are included on Bryn Mawr transcripts and in Bryn Mawr GPAs. Summer courses at Bryn Mawr also count towards the residency requirement. However, they are also subject to the ordinary limits on summer school courses: i.e., no more than two units of credit may be earned per summer, and no more than four units of credit may be earned through summer courses.

Summer study abroad sponsored by Bryn Mawr

Bryn Mawr sponsors the Institut d'études françaises d'Avignon which offers a six-week program of intensive advanced work in French literature and culture. The program is open to male and female undergraduate and graduate students from other colleges and from Bryn Mawr. Some of the courses carry graduate credit. Courses at Avignon are often taught by Bryn Mawr faculty and are always taught and graded according to Bryn Mawr standards. Therefore, grades from these courses are included on Bryn Mawr transcripts and in Bryn Mawr GPAs. However, these courses do not ordinarily count towards the residency requirement.

Other summer study abroad

Helpful Information on study abroad

Summer is a great time to study abroad, particularly for those students who are not able to do so during the regular semester.  The following provides information on how to plan your summer study abroad, including how to search for a program, how to plan your finances, and how to obtain approval for credit transfer.  

Obtaining Approval for Your Program

Financial Planning

The College does not provide financial aid for summer study abroad.  However, there are a number of scholarships and fellowships that you can apply for to defray some of the cost for summer study abroad.  Review the dean’s office fellowships page for more information.

Bryn Mawr College Academic Policy on Summer Study Abroad

If you decide to study abroad during the summer with the intention of transferring the credit towards your Bryn Mawr degree, you should keep the following things in mind.  For more information, please consult the Registrar’s Office for information at

  • It is the student's responsibility to find a suitable program and to obtain the appropriate information.
  • Bryn Mawr will only confer transfer credit for liberal arts courses taken at a program that has been approved by the Registrar’s Office.
  • You must obtain a grade of 2.0 (C) or better for credit to transfer
  • Courses taken at colleges or universities abroad that are not part of an approved study abroad program are usually not accepted toward the undergraduate degree.
  • One Bryn Mawr unit equals 4 credit hours. Many courses at other institutions are only 3 credit hours. However, if the summer course you wish to take is 3 credit hours on the semester system and at least four weeks long, Bryn Mawr will "round up" the course and accept it as equal to 4 credit hours.
  • If the summer course you wish to take is offered on the quarter system, the class has to be 5 credit hours in order for the credit to be transferred towards your Bryn Mawr degree.
  • Online courses, internships, and fieldwork courses that do not involve final written papers and exams are not awarded transfer credit.
  • Like other transfer credits, summer courses taken through institutions other than Bryn Mawr are not factored into your GPA.
  • Students may transfer up to four units of credit for courses taken during the summers.  No more than two units may be transferred from any one summer.

Program Search and Planning Tips

  • Contact the program you are interested in for advising and information
  • A good place to start is on the website of the Institute of International Education,, or the Bryn Mawr College study abroad approved program list for summer options offered by the programs
  • Check with academic departments to see if the professors recommend anything specific. 
  • Contact the program to find out how long the summer course is, how many credit hours it carries, and whether the class is on the semester system or the quarter system. If you have any questions about this, consult the registrar at the school or the program at which you plan to take the course.
  • Determine program cost and plan a budget, which should include but not limited to program fees, airfare, room, meals, and health insurance.