Joining the Education Program
To declare a Minor in Educational Studies or a Minor in Education - Secondary Teacher Certification Track, Bryn Mawr and Haverford undergraduates students (usually second-semester sophomores) submit the following during preregistration for fall courses (see Academic Calendar for dates) to Ann Brown, Program Adviser, Education Program:
(1) A Declaration of Major (and Minor) form (at HC) or a Minor Work Plan form (at BMC), on which students list the education courses they have already taken (if applicable) and intend to take.
(2) A 1-2 page “Statement of Intent” addressed to the Education Program in which you respond to these questions:
- Why are you interested in education? Please describe your interest (its origins, experiences that led to it, its current manifestations, etc.).
- What do you hope to gain from your Education Program coursework and related experiences?
- What plans (if any) do you have for work and/or study related to education after graduating?
- If you plan to teach or work in an education-related field, what unique and/or appropriate qualities would you bring to the profession? What capacities do you hope to (further) develop?
- If you are declaring a Minor in Educational Studies, why have you chosen the education courses you list on your declaration form (other than the required “Critical Issues in Education” and “Fieldwork Seminar")? How do you see this coursework preparing you for work and/or study after you graduate?