Teacher Education Program for Bryn Mawr/Haverford Graduates
** Open only to Bryn Mawr and Haverford Graduates **
The application deadline for the 2013-2014 academic year has passed. Applications for the 2014-2015 will be considered on a rolling basis until March 25, 2014.
Graduates of Bryn Mawr and Haverford Colleges may complete requirements for Pennsylvania certification to teach at the secondary level by enrolling in the Bryn Mawr/Haverford Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education Program. In general, students are able to complete the program in one academic year if they have majored in the subject they plan to teach.
The program offers certification in the following areas:
- English, 7-12
- Mathematics, 7-12
- Biology, chemistry, and physics, 7-12
- French, German, Latin, and Spanish, K-12 (Chinese and Russian are also possibilities if student teaching placements can be found)
- Social studies, 7-12 (as well as Citizenship Education and Social Science)
- Open to Bryn Mawr College or Haverford College graduates
- GPA of a 3.0 or higher
- U.S. citizenship, intent to become a U.S. citizen, or a resident alien (green card) visa. This requirement does not apply to world language teachers, however.
- A bachelor’s or graduate degree in the subject area in which certification is sought OR the equivalent of a major in the certification area (e.g., a minor and additional coursework).
- For social studies certification, a major in history, political science, economics, anthropology, or sociology is required, with coursework in all the other areas. Some interdisciplinary majors are acceptable.
- EDUC 200 Critical Issues in Education
- PSYC 203 Educational Psychology
- EDUC 210 Perspectives on Special Education
- EDUC 275 English Learners in U.S. Schools
- EDUC 301 Curriculum and Pedagogy Seminar
- EDUC 302 Practice Teaching Seminar
- EDUC 433 Practice Teaching (2 credits)