Contact Us
Bryn Mawr College
101 North Merion Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010-2899
Phone: (610) 526-5376
Fax: (610) 526-7476

Haverford College
Founders 028
370 Lancaster Avenue
Haverford, PA 19041-1392

Find us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter

Application for Certification

To apply for PA certification, students complete an on-line “New Credential Application” for an “Instructional I” certificate in their certification area (e.g., English, 7-12) using the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s Teacher Information Management System (TIMS). The certification application fee, which students are responsible for paying by credit card on-line or by money order by mail, is $125.00.

How to access TIMS:

  • Go to
  • Under “Log In,” click on “register” to register for a user name and password
  • Once registered, go back to, then click "Log In"
  • Under the Welcome to The Pennsylvania Department of Ed banner, click on “TEACHERS”
  • Click on the square blue TIMS icon
  • Select “Access TIMS” from the menu bar towards the top (far right)
  • Click “here” where it says, “Access the TIMS application by clicking here

When logged in, complete a "new credential application" for an "Instructional I" certificate in your subject area (e.g., Mathematics, 7-12). Haverford students: even though our program is bi-college, you will need to state that you completed a teacher preparation program at Bryn Mawr College.

How to calculate your GPA for the application:

  • Undergraduates: Use your cumulative GPA on your final transcript.
  • Post-baccalaureate students: (Undergraduate GPA x 32 course units) + (PostBacc GPA x # of PB course units) / (UG + PB course units) = Certification Program GPA

Ann Brown will go in to TIMS to approve applications as soon as students' final grades are in.Applicants should receive their Instructional I certificate in four-six weeks from the time that the State receives all required information (by around July 1).

Students seeking certification in states other than Pennsylvania should contact the appropriate State Department of Education for information on requirements for applying as out-of-state residents to transfer their Pennsylvania certification.