Contact Us
Bryn Mawr College
101 North Merion Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010-2899
Phone: (610) 526-5376
Fax: (610) 526-7476

Haverford College
Founders 028
370 Lancaster Avenue
Haverford, PA 19041-1392

Find us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter

Certification in English, Grades 7-12

In addition to the coursework and student teaching requirements for secondary certification described in the College Catalog, students seeking to earn a secondary certification in English must major in English or Comparative Literature. They must also complete the following requirements:

  • At least one semester of American literature if a Bryn Mawr major (already required of HC majors).
  • Take either Education 250 (Literacies and Education) or Education 220 (The Teaching of Writing) (recommended).
  • One semester of linguistics (recommended).

Special note to Bryn Mawr English majors: During the summer before their senior year, English majors who are enrolled in the teacher certification program complete not only the summer reading assigned to all rising seniors, but also the first five-page writing assignment. This puts them about two weeks ahead of the rest of the class in terms of written work on the first day of the term. Students maintain this accelerated pace of research and writing throughout the semester and submit their thesis proposal two weeks earlier than other seniors.

If the thesis proposal is accepted, students are assigned to work with an advisor and produce ten pages of writing toward their 30- to 35-page thesis before the end of fall semester classes. They are then responsible for producing another ten pages over the winter break. With 20 pages of writing done by the beginning of spring semester, they set up a schedule for meeting with their advisor and deadlines for writing the remaining pages and for revising.

Towards the end of the spring semester of their junior year, English majors should contact Prof. Bethany Schneider at or Prof. Gail Hemmeter to have a preliminary conversation about these requirements as well as possible thesis topics.

Special note to Haverford English majors: Haverford English majors, who complete a junior seminar in English (ENGL 298 and ENGL 299), a two-semester, year-long seminar, may not study away junior year and also complete the teacher certification program. Spring semester senior year, teacher certification candidates in English may take only EDUC 303 (Practice Teaching - 2 credits), EDUC 302 (Practice Teaching Seminar), and ENGL 399. They would not be able to also take ENGL 299.