In addition to the coursework and student teaching requirements for secondary certification described in the College Catalog, students seeking to get certified to teach math must major in mathematics. Students must also meet the following requirements:
- A semester of probability and/or statistics (e.g., MATH B104/205 or MATH H103/203/218).
- A semester of discrete mathematics (e.g., MATH B231 or MATH B206)
- A semester of geometry (e.g., MATH H205, MATHB221,MATHB201)
- Either EDUC 220, “Changing Pedagogies in Mathematics and Science" or Experience teaching undergraduates in introductory courses as tutors/mentors, workshop assistants, or TAs (e.g., H460f and i, “Teaching Assistantship in Mathematics”).
We also recommend:
- A semester of computer science (such as HC 222a, “Introduction to Scientific Computing”).