Churchill Scholarships offer American students of exceptional ability the opportunity to pursue graduate studies in engineering, mathematics and the sciences at Churchill College in the University of Cambridge. At least twelve Churchill Scholarships, tenable for one year, are offered annually. The Scholarship covers all University and College tuition and fees. In addition, students receive a living allowance of £10,000 to £12,000. They also receive a travel allowance of $1,000 and may apply for a $2000 research grant.
ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible, you must be a U.S. citizen and must be enrolled in one of the institutions participating in the scholarship competition. Upon taking up a Churchill Scholarship, you must be between the ages of 19 and 26, hold a bachelor's degree or its equivalent from a United States college or university, and may not have attained a doctorate.
SELECTION CRITERIA: The criteria for the selection of Churchill Scholars include the following:
• Exceptional achievement in academic work as indicated by course grades;
• Scores on the Graduate Record Examination;
• Capacity for original, creative work as shown by special recognition and letters of reference;
• Capacity to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the sciences, engineering, or mathematics
• Character, adaptability, demonstrated leadership, and concern for the critical problems of society
• Outstanding personal qualities as demonstrated by leadership, activities, social engagement
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Bryn Mawr will select up to two nominees on the basis of the following internal application, due Click Here for Deadline, in the Dean's Office:
• A current, comprehensive resumé, including employment, activities and honors. This need not be limited to one page.
• A personal statement: “a brief autobiography, including an account of your interest in science, your reasons for wishing to attend Churchill College, and your career plans.”
• 4 letters of recommendation from faculty
• Transcript from each institution attended.
Please Note: Candidates must apply directly to the University of Cambridge, by the mid-October deadline for New Applicants from the US. Applicants must indicate on the Cambridge application that they are applying to Churchill College.
The external application is due to the Foundation by Click Here for Deadline.
• GRE scores. Applicants must take the Graduate Record Examination General Test. in time for the scores to be reported to the Churchill Foundation by early December. The Institution Code List number for the Winston Churchill Foundation is 3922.
• Churchill Foundation Application Form, with 8 copies of a passport-size photograph.
• Official transcript from each institution attended.
Please consult with Dean Mancini about which parts of the application should be submitted directly and which parts through Bryn Mawr.
AFTER THE APPLICATION IS SUBMITTED: The Churchill Foundation Scholarship Screening Committee, comprised of former Churchill Scholars who are expert in various disciplines, evaluate the applications and endorses those considered most qualified for a Scholarship. Applicants are notified in January whether or not they have been endorsed by the Screening Committee. The Board of Graduate Studies and the appropriate departments at the University of Cambridge review the applications that have been endorsed by the Screening Committee, consider the availability of appropriate supervision and laboratory space and decide who is eligible for admission to the University. The Winston Churchill Foundation makes final decisions on Churchill Scholarship winners and announces them by April 15th