Five scholarships are awarded each year to sophomores from Philadelphia-area colleges and universities planning a full year of study in Scotland.
ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible, you must be a US citizen, enrolled in a full-time course of study, and in the top quarter of your class. You must also be willing to spend a full academic year in Scotland and to attend any of the four Scottish universities (Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow, or St. Andrews), although students are invited to express a preference. (Students who receive this scholarship are automatically exempt from Bryn Mawr's one-semester limitation.) Potentially eligible students will be notified at the beginning of fall semester.
SELECTION CRITERIA: The St. Andrew's Society looks for the following qualities in selecting recipients:
• a high level of enthusiasm
• respect for and interest in other views and cultures
• involvement in the community
• a genuine and serious interest in the intellectual and cultural benefits of a year abroad in Scotland
• strong interpersonal skills
• the ability to adapt to changing/new situations
• financial need
We will choose a nominee very soon after the internal deadline. Final application is due to the Dean’s Office a few days in advance of the external deadline. You will have the opportunity to revise your essay. All nominees are expected to attend a luncheon and interview with the St. Andrew’s Society in Philadelphia in mid- March