Five scholarships are awarded each year to sophomores from Philadelphia-area colleges and universities planning a full year of study in Scotland.
ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible, you must be a US citizen, enrolled in a full-time course of study, and in the top quarter of your class. You must also be willing to spend a full academic year in Scotland. (Students who receive this scholarship are automatically exempt from Bryn Mawr's one-semester limitation.) Potentially eligible students will be notified at the beginning of fall semester.
SELECTION CRITERIA: The St. Andrew's Society looks for the following qualities in selecting recipients:
• a high level of enthusiasm
• respect for and interest in other views and cultures
• involvement in the community
• commitment to study in Scotland
• strong interpersonal skills
• the ability to adapt to new circumstances
• motivation to succeed
• financial need
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Students interested in being nominated should submit the following to the Dean’s Office by noon on Click Here for Deadlines:
• A current, comprehensive resumé, including employment, activities and honors. This need not be limited to one page.
• 3-5 page essay on your personal background and reasons for wanting to study in Scotland
• letter of recommendation from a faculty member
We will choose a nominee very soon after February 1. Final application is due to the Dean’s Office a few days in advance of the external deadline. You will have the opportunity to revise your essay. All nominees are expected to attend a luncheon and interview with the St. Andrew’s Society in Philadelphia in late March