Contact Us
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
Bryn Mawr College
101 North Merion Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010-2899 USA Phone 610-526-5074
Fax 610-526-5076


Graduate students may request reimbursement for the following professional costs, in order of priority:

  1. Travel to take courses at other institutions.
  2. Travel to present research results at conferences and other academic venues. (NB: travel to attend conferences without making a presentation cannot be reimbursed.)
  3. Research expenses.

Reimbursement Request Deadline: October 31 each year

Requests for travel reimbursements during the academic year should be submitted by email to the Dean by Oct. 31 each year. The requests should include an estimate of the expenses and the conference name and location. After reviewing all the requests for the academic year, the Dean will let each student know the amount of reimbursement available to them. Funds do not always suffice to reimburse expenses in full. In no case will reimbursement exceed $1000. Preference is given to students who have not previously been reimbursed. Requests received past the Oct. 31 deadline will be held until the end of the fiscal year and may be reimbursed in part, depending on the level of remaining funds.

Reimbursement Documents Submission Deadline:
After the travel is complete, students should fill out the appropriate reimbursement form and submit it along with originals or copies of receipts for all expenses to the GSAS office. We cannot reimburse any expense for which no receipt is presented. For major items (airfare, hotel, etc.) paid by credit card, IN ADDITION to the receipt, students must also submit a copy of the statement of the monthly credit card bill on which the charge appears.

Reimbursement form for:

  1. travel to course at another institution
  2. travel to present at a conference (NB: You must also submit a copy of the program, or of the pages showing the name of the conference and its date, your name and the title of your paper.)
  3. research that will enhance your thesis or dissertation work

The IRS requires that reimbursements be counted as taxable income. Consequently, the College will withhold taxes from reimbursement made to non-Resident Aliens (i.e., student in F-1 or J-1 status). U.S. citizens and Resident Aliens are responsible for declaring reimbursements as income on their annual tax returns.