The College offers a program to faculty and staff that provides in-home backup childcare and adult care at a subsidized hourly rate. The care is provided in your home or in the home of the adult needing care. Effective January 1, 2015, the College also offers in-center backup childcare at a subsidized daily rate.
Backup care is available during the day or evening, seven days a week. Services are provided by Care.com., www.care.com.
Backup childcare can be used in situations such as
- During school vacations and holidays
- When your child is ill and cannot go to school or to childcare
- When you have to work late or on weekends
- When your childcare provider goes on vacation, is ill, or quits unexpectedly
- Anytime you have a gap in your regularly scheduled childcare arrangements and you need to work
FAQs, In-Home Backup Childcare
Screening of Childcare Providers
Tips for Working With a Temporary Caregiver
Nanny Check Service
Backup Adult Care
Backup adult care can be used in situations such as
- When a family member needs assistance with dressing, bathing and ambulation and the regular care provider is unavailable
- When a family member is waiting for an opening in an assisted living facility
- When a family member needs help getting to doctor’s appointments
- When a family member is recuperating at home from surgery
- When an elder family member is getting confused and needs a watchful eye
- Anytime when you have a gap in your family care arrangements
- When you need assistance due to an illness
FAQs, In-Home Backup Adult Care
More About Situations to Use Backup Adult Care
Care is available day or evening of any day, but you must call Care.com during their business hours to arrange for care. Sometimes they can locate a caregiver in as little as an hour or two, but the more time you give them the more likely they can make a successful match.
Twenty-four hours is usually sufficient notice for child care. Please allow as
much notice a possible for adult care, which may require an assessment visit
prior to services.
- Call Care.com at 800-688-4697 ext. 114
- Identify yourself as an employee of Bryn Mawr College and discuss your caregiver needs
- Care.com will identify a caregiver who meets your needs and call you with this information
- The caregiver will call you to confirm the details
- Once the care is completed for the day, your credit card will be charged
- Hours to call:
Monday - Thursday 7:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday 7:00 am to 5:00 pm
Sunday 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Costs and Limitations
The College is subsidizing some of the cost of this service to offer you a more reasonable hourly rate.
- Cost: $9.00 per hour for in-home care
- 4 hour minimum per day, so a $36 minimum charge per day
- You may use a maximum of 20 days of backup care each calendar year
- You may not use more than two consecutive weeks at a time or use this benefit for ongoing care
- $15.00/ child /day for in-center care
You can call their toll-free number, 800-688-4697, for questions about the service as well as to arrange care.