1001 Waverly St. (formerly Barley St.)

 
Ernest Hexamer and William Locher. Maps of the City of Philadelphia. Volume 3, Plate 33. (Philadelphia 1858-1862).
From Places in Time website (www.brynmawr.edu/iconog)
  Photograph taken May 8, 2003

 

Fire Insurance Survey

Survey made February 17th, 1831 and reported to the
Franklin Fire Insurance Company of Philadelphia
For George Smith

A Three Story Brick Building, in two tenements, situate on the north side of Barley Street, second house west of Tenth Street in the City of Philadelphia.
Dimensions 14 feet front by 30 feet deep, cellars and rough floor, board partition between the houses.
The 1st story of the front house has a plain door frame with square transom & sash & 12 light 10 by 14 window in front, a door frame the same & 12 light 10 by 12 window on the west side, small side closet, plain mouldings, wash-board, plain wood mantel [sic], single worked pannel doors & shutters, sap pine floor and story 8 feet 10 inches in the clear.
The 2nd story has 2-12 light windows front & one on the west side 8 by 10 glass, side closet, plain mantel [sic], mouldings & washboard, square framed pannel doors, sap floor, wide boards & story 7 feet 8 inches in the clear.
The 3rd story has 2-9 light windows in front & 1 west side, 8 by 10 glass side closet, plain mouldings, mantel [sic] & washboard, doors & floor as 2nd story. Story 6 feet 3 inches high in front & west side, 7 feet 6 inches high on the east side.
3 flights of winding stairs from cellar to 3rd story, 2 feet 9 inches going, of sap pine board, doors in each story.
The back tenement has a door similar to the front & 12 light 10 by 12 window [sic] on the west side & window the same & plain door on the north side; 2-12 light 8 by 10 windows in 2nd story & 2-9 light windows 8 by 10 in the third story, all on the west side & the house finished in the same manner as the front tenement already described.
The Roof is single pitch to the west, 6 feet high on the back, barge & back boards, Cedar shingles, tin gutters & conductors, plain brick eaves, hip rafter & level eave in front; oak joist first floor; hemlock above & rafters, marble door sills to all except the back door, slanting window frames, sashes single hung & the houses both lathed & plastered.

D.H. Flickwin, Surveyor


Copy from the Philadelphia Historical Commission


Chain of Title

The chain of title on file at the Philadelphia Historical Commision indicates that, at the time of the census in 1837, the house was owned by George Smith, a blacksmith, who may have rented the site to an African-American family.

Chain of title prepared by George Anne Porter, Research Assistant at the Philadelphia Historical Commission, August 24, 1964.